Early Position and sitting in the big blind

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With premium hole cards, non-pair, out of position: A post flop check or low-cards flop seem to always solicit a bet from a person behind you. Does this suggest a minimal raise which may appear weak or playing tight after the flop? Does two over cards warrant a small bet call?

Inversely, is it a bad thing to call a strong bet when in position with a weak hand?

(This question is in the context that you have no knowledge of who your up against)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With premium hole cards, non-pair, out of position: A post flop check or low-cards flop seem to always solicit a bet from a person behind you. Does this suggest a minimal raise which may appear weak or playing tight after the flop? Does two over cards warrant a small bet call?

Inversely, is it a bad thing to call a strong bet when in position with a weak hand?

(This question is in the context that you have no knowledge of who your up against)

See I don't understand why people say we have NO knowledge of who we are up against... I mean you can sit at a table and fold until you have knowledge of the players. Or you can watch the table before sitting. There should NEVER be an instance where you have NO knowledge of who you are up against.

By non-pair premium whole cards, you're referring to AK, AQ? I guess... and you're asking if we get a flop of low cards like 258r and check to the preflop caller and they bet should we raise or "play tight"

There is WAY too much assumption in this. First off did you open your "premium non-pair hand" if so, by them flatting your open we can reduce their range based on how often this occurs. I know you're saying No knowledge of opponent so we will say they are TAG.

TAG is what I put ALL players with unknown information into that category until I'm proven otherwise. So if they are calling our open in position we can have them on a decently wider range because of the position. Based on my example flop above We check they bet, we can either raise to rep something like over pairs, two pair or TPTK hands like 99,1010, JJ, A/8, or 8/5s flat call and rep a mix of some trap hands and some drawing hands 9/7s and all sets or fold because you don't want to barrel off with A high hoping to hit an over that might not even be good...

All three are fine options but they are chosen based on which one you feel will get us to the result of winning the hand. There is never a way you do it EVERY time because then you become predictable and exploitable. You should always be balanced and adjust your play as the table adjusts.

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With small card for frist and tow time you must fold somtime with defined you put you self in bad positon and loss aloot of cheep
Wheñ more rhen sevral time repet and you red you oppennet that whant stell the blind
Ok defence

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See I don't understand why people say we have NO knowledge of who we are up against... I mean you can sit at a table and fold until you have knowledge of the players. Or you can watch the table before sitting. There should NEVER be an instance where you have NO knowledge of who you are up against.

By non-pair premium whole cards, you're referring to AK, AQ? I guess... and you're asking if we get a flop of low cards like 258r and check to the preflop caller and they bet should we raise or "play tight"

There is WAY too much assumption in this. First off did you open your "premium non-pair hand" if so, by them flatting your open we can reduce their range based on how often this occurs. I know you're saying No knowledge of opponent so we will say they are TAG.

TAG is what I put ALL players with unknown information into that category until I'm proven otherwise. So if they are calling our open in position we can have them on a decently wider range because of the position. Based on my example flop above We check they bet, we can either raise to rep something like over pairs, two pair or TPTK hands like 99,1010, JJ, A/8, or 8/5s flat call and rep a mix of some trap hands and some drawing hands 9/7s and all sets or fold because you don't want to barrel off with A high hoping to hit an over that might not even be good...

All three are fine options but they are chosen based on which one you feel will get us to the result of winning the hand. There is never a way you do it EVERY time because then you become predictable and exploitable. You should always be balanced and adjust your play as the table adjusts.

Thanks for the insight. Clearly, knowledge of the player is key which I disregarded in my question. I had a few runs where it appeared, I could not pair two face cards out of position and constantly folded. On the other hand, I've played tight in position and made it far in several tournaments but around the bubble, I'm constantly short stacked.

I'm trying to diversify my playing, but asked the question in a general way just to understand how a good player thinks about the situation