Does playing multiple tables help to improve your game?

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Online the other day I decided to concentrate and play hard.
I was taking notes of every player on the table And calculating every action that I would take

After a bit, I felt like I understood what was going on And made the right play pretty much all the time.
I think that playing several tables at the same time won't allow me to do that, therefore I don't think I will improve my skills.

What everybody thinks?

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing on few tables at the same time is for players who think fast and dont make notes but use support programs which collects informations about players at the tables.
If you want to improve your playing, make notes and stay focused i sugest to stay at 1 table playing :)
If you want to check that you can handle with faster action, try to play zoom cash game or zoom sit & go.
GL.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
To learn game one table is a must. Need max concentration on one game to play and learn at same time.

As you get more experience and competent you can play more than one table. Reasons why to play more than one table
- Playing one table only will be come boring
- There is only so many hours in a day to play poker need to maximise time

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To learn game one table is a must. Need max concentration on one game to play and learn at same time.

As you get more experience and competent you can play more than one table. Reasons why to play more than one table
- Playing one table only will be come boring

- There is only so many hours in a day to play poker need to maximise time

I completely agree with Joeisi. Playing to many tables is always worse than playing to few, and when you are just starting out or even moving up, its fine to just play a single table. However one of the main advantages of online poker is the ability to multi table, and there is no reason to completely give up on that.

After a while boredom will set in, and you might start watching movies or writing in the forum while playing, in which case you are not fully concentrating anyway. Playing more tables also allow you to reach "the long term" faster and get a better idea of your true performance.

Its largely a matter of experience, and the more experience you get, the more decisions become more or less automatic. Which also reduce the need for note taking. Notes are to some extend overvalued in my opinion.

If for instance you saw someone call down with top pair no kicker, does that actually tell you, what he will do, if you try to bluff him another time? Not really because maybe it was the board texture or the dynamics, which made him believe, he was being bluffed, or maybe he was on tilts.

This is part of the reason, why many serious online players like to use trackers and HUDs. Because in that way you can get a more general idea about, how someone play, that is not just based on a single hand. You can look at for instance, how often they get to showdown after seeing a flop, and if that number is significantly more than 30%, then he is probably a bit of a calling station, and you should only bluff the river in the most pristine spots.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many tournaments that start at the same time ( 7-8 PM) or overlapping, then I have to play multiple, but this is not an optimal solution. When you open several tables you can be active only at one at the time, the window that is focused, the rest of the tables count it as inactive time and often like to place you out of the table. Also althou the application can wait twenty seconds or so for the player to make a decision, it displays the end of the hand very fast and often it is hard to understand who is the winner. Then most of the software is simply not very well prepared for multitables. Other than that you could play 2-3 tables if you have some experience

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you open several tables you can be active only at one at the time, the window that is focused, the rest of the tables count it as inactive time and often like to place you out of the table.

It sound like, you are playing from a phone or tablet? For multi tabling online poker you really need a traditional computer. Even on a laptop you can easily tile 4 tables, which allow you to act on any of them at your will. Really serious players can enhance their multi tabling capabilities further by playing at a desk with 1-2 large monitors.

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with Joeisi. Playing to many tables is always worse than playing to few, and when you are just starting out or even moving up, its fine to just play a single table. However one of the main advantages of online poker is the ability to multi table, and there is no reason to completely give up on that.

After a while boredom will set in, and you might start watching movies or writing in the forum while playing, in which case you are not fully concentrating anyway. Playing more tables also allow you to reach "the long term" faster and get a better idea of your true performance.

If for instance you saw someone call down with top pair no kicker, does that actually tell you, what he will do, if you try to bluff him another time? Not really because maybe it was the board texture or the dynamics, which made him believe, he was being bluffed, or maybe he was on tilts.

I agree, but at the same time, if i'm playing several tables, I wont be able to see that guy calling with top pair no kicker.
And taking notes is just a way to save information in my brain. For example, If made the note, i will remember that I made the note of that player, it does not mean that I need to read the note to remember what I wrote of him. The simple fact of writing something about him, will make me remember what I wanted to remember! Not sure if that makes sense.
And true, I get super bored sometimes playing online, I do multi-table when I'm bored as well.

thanks

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the reason people are able to play multipe tables is because they've played a ton of games and they already have a set strategy. i play 4-9 tables and i never think about preflop action and i dont think about what ill do on the flop because i already have my set strategy so i just click the buttons already knowing what ill do on certain flops. once it gets to river i sometimes have to take a little time to think about it. my point is if you dont have an exact strategy and already know the best plays to make you shouldnt play more than 1 table until you can play on auto pilot.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When more poker hands you play, the more better at your game, but you should not play more tables you can play.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Many players will choose to sit at multiple tables at the same time, and will see and play considerably more hands per hour than those who do not. Of course, there is justification for this: if you are proven to be a winning player at the stakes which you are playing, more volume equals more money.

However, playing numerous tables at once also has its downsides. Multi-tabling negatively impacts your ability to think about the decisions you face on the felt in a major way.

With limited time to think about your strategy for each hand, you’ll make decisions without considering the reasons why you should or should not make them. Bad strategic habits can develop when multi-tabling and playing at a single table once in a while will help eliminate those bad habits.

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if it improves my game or my results but at least it gives me more action.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this a lot with 10c sit n goes, and I have pretty good luck, and I find I tend to play a little tighter :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of tables when tournaments start at the same time. Then I lose and stay at the only table. It helps to concentrate and improve the game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of tables when tournaments start at the same time. Then I lose and stay at the only table. It helps to concentrate and improve the game.

I do something similar. If I run deep in an MTT, I dont enter new ones, and as I bust from the others, I can concentrate fully on the one, where the money start to really matter for my bankroll.

Twisterman

Twisterman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is probably smarter to play more tables if you get bored. Or else you just play stupid :p

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being bored does not help, is good to know will help to be concentrated

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mastering 1 tabling than progressing to 2 tabling, etc, is probably your best bet. If you just jump into multi tabling, you’re guaranteed to play robotically or be overwhelmed.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its ok to start with 1 table until you understand the game. After a while 1 tables will be very easy and you can add one more...i think its all about playing a lot and you be used with multi tabling and playing very well

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the comment of somebody above, If you play multi tables you might play tighter, one of the reason people play bad starting hands is because they want to see some actions and play some hands, so if you are playing several tables, you dont need to try to get action from bad hands.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
I only play multiple tables when 2-3 tourneies begin at the same time.

I play selective hands and the not so important tourney out of that (50.00$) pay out, I go all in with any to high cards.
If I win I sit out and play another, till I end up with 1 game.

This way you get a chance to shoot out tourneies and keep the one where you are doing good.

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
I only play multiple tables when 2-3 tourneies begin at the same time.

I play selective hands and the not so important tourney out of that (50.00$) pay out, I go all in with any to high cards.
If I win I sit out and play another, till I end up with 1 game.

This way you get a chance to shoot out tourneies and keep the one where you are doing good.

I have noticed that a lot of people play like that. I have have not succes winning online tournaments unless I get extremely lucky. People play very loose, then I hit a hand like QQ and somebody call me with A2 and boom, Im out of the tournament.

I have much better success with sit and go.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
focus

in cash games i normally play multiple tables and smaller tournaments (typically several freerolls) but if i am playing big tournaments i always play single table.

in low lvl cash games to build bankroll often better not to know a single player than just play the odds.

just my opinion but guess also depends on how fast you registrer and analyzing things

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the begining you should start with one table but latter on you could add some tables

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you want to improve your game strategies you have to play not so many tables.

Top 10 Games