Does any one fold AK, KK, QQ?

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was wondering if anyone here folds preflop premium hands such as AK, KK, QQ at micro stakes tables. Scenario here would be a NIT UTG+1 player opens up for 3x, you have QQ in hijack and 3 bet, everyone else folds and they 4 bet you. To me that is a fold, specially if they only play 8% of hands from that position. Does anyone else fold these hands? If they are LAG player than it is different, just speaking of tight players.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this scenario I would fold AK and QQ, with KK I would definitely play the hand.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Was wondering if anyone here folds preflop premium hands such as AK, KK, QQ at micro stakes tables. Scenario here would be a NIT UTG+1 player opens up for 3x, you have QQ in hijack and 3 bet, everyone else folds and they 4 bet you. To me that is a fold, specially if they only play 8% of hands from that position. Does anyone else fold these hands? If they are LAG player than it is different, just speaking of tight players.

in short - not likely

Nowhere near enough information to give you a decent answer.
ie. how deep are effective stacks?

Not sure I'm ever 3B/folding here. I'd prefer flatting to 3B/folding but of course 'it depends'

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, KK and QQ I will re-raise preflop all the time. On the flop, I will make a decision based on texture and what my opponent has been communicating to me through their bets and overall play so far (tight, loose, c-better, etc.).

A major leak of mine that I recently identified is getting "married to my cards." AA, KK, QQ are nice hands, but in the end, they are just a pair. Always put some thought into your play before making a move, especially post-flop. They are not invincible. If you're beat, you'll probably lose money, but the goal is to lose the least amount possible.

Pot odds and equity always play a factor for me too. Low limit online players love shoving their stack on the flop when they hit something, which is usually a huge over bet, hoping that someone with a drawing hand or an inferior hand will be dumb enough to call them. Sometimes they hit light, others they hit hard.

For example, if I'm holding AA and I re-raise preflop and villain calls that re-raise (assuming he was the original raiser) I take note of that. If the flop comes Q-J-10 rainbow and he shoves, there are tons of things he could have. QQ, JJ, 10-10. QJ, J-10, even 8-9 or AK. All of which would have my AA crushed. SO, I ask myself: is it worth committing almost my entire stack to win a small pot just because I have AA? I don't care if villain is bluffing or not...it's not a good $$ deal.

Let's say you fold and the villain was bluffing. Now, the player may begin to think he/she can push you around. The next time you hit hard against him, use that to your advantage and stack them!

As far as AK goes, a huge leak a lot of players have is over-playing this hand. It looks nice, even suited, but it needs to improve to have anything. In the end, it's just an A-high hand. Re-raising preflop my be okay in later positions, and I'd definitely open raise this in any position, but post-flop, if you don't improve and don't have position, dump it. If you're in position and the villain(s) check to you, a 2/3 or 3/4 c-bet might be okay, depending on the situation.

Sorry for the long post...

EvaQueen777

EvaQueen777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am...

AK is folded very easily, it's harder for me to fold KK, but if I see that there is nothing on the flop, I can even fold AA, because I understand perfectly well that I can get into a set, a straight, etc. There are people who cannot, I don't know why, they probably think that AA KK QQ AK are 100% winning cards, but no. I don't remember the math, but I can say: yes, the cards are very good, but with ANY card you can lose, as well as with 2 aces. The probability is either 8/10 or 9/10 I don’t remember. I'm not right, but this is my opinion, respect it please:cool:

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The micro buy-ins are so small so you stand to lose only a small amount if you are wrong.
You also have to factor in the volatility at that level.
If they are low stacked they are libel to 4 bet weak hands.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The micro buy-ins are so small so you stand to lose only a small amount if you are wrong.
lets say they're only losing, $1. what does that matter if they have a $300 bankroll, correct?

well, then the same could be said if they had a $150k bankroll and played $500 mtts, right? or should they play a bit more cautiously because they're now risking $500 instead of $1 when, in both situations, they're only risking .03% of their bankroll?

the amount of money you're risking shouldn't be a factor in your decision making. if you're only risking .03% of your bankroll, then there is no difference if you're risking $1, $10, $100, or $1000. it's all the same amount. if your decisions are affected by the buy-in, then you're putting too much at risk that you're not comfortable with and either need to increase your bankroll or drop down in stakes until you're at a buy-in you're comfortable with.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There’s no chance to fold any of these hands, there are really strong hands in any occasion

K

kkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK - yes, KK - yes QQ - yes, even AA - yes. It depends on the situation. For example, if there are 8 players left and 4 goes all-in and the first 6 win a ticket of the same value,, AA = easy fold.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll let it remain a mystery.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the micros never folding group 1 hands most of the time preflop might as well stop playing if you are folding QQ and KK preflop seriously maybe if bubble and really need cash only exception.:)
You would probably be blinded out well before you get dealt AA.:eek:

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the micros never folding group 1 hands most of the time preflop might as well stop playing if you are folding QQ and KK preflop seriously maybe if bubble and really need cash only exception.:)
You would probably be blinded out well before you get dealt AA.:eek:

This pretty much nails it. I will and do play AKo slower than many in a multiway pot pre, and may fold to the 4-bet (even in micro MTTs). KK and QQ, while also in tier 1 hands for starters, are significantly more playable postflop than most flops you find for AK, though, and I treat them accordingly.

In the case you mention, even with villain only playing 8% from this position, QQ is too strong to fold pre, unless other considerations (ICM for example) come into play and heavily influence your decision.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont specify, if its a cash game or tournament, and this does matter at least a little bit. With the typical tournament stack size of 30-40BB, its rare, that I get away from QQ+ or AK preflop.

In cash games (or early in MTTs) with 100BB or more stack size, its a different story. In the situation, you describe, AK and QQ can be kind of easy folds, especially if the 4-bet is large. Basically a lot of nits will have stats like 10% RFI from EP and 10% 4-bet, and this basically mean, a 4-bet is AA or KK. AK and QQ are in terrible shape against that range, and they suffer from reverse implied odds as well, if we just call the 4-bet.

KK is the tough one, because while KK is also crushed, if their range is truly only KK-AA, then there is no room for error, and we are making a pretty big mistake by folding, if its any wider. So usually I only fold KK, if I have a very specific read, or its a very specific situation. I believe the last time was, when I got 4-bet and was just about to jam. But then I looked at my HUD and saw 1% 3-bet over 3k hands, and I ended up folding instead.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have QQ and opponent plays 8% from that position
you are a favorite against almost any hand from that range,
except for AA and KK...

Especially on lower stakes you will se a lot of players making
moves like that with 10 10 or J J.

Maybe 1 in 20 times i will be like "damn he has aces" and fold...
And a bit more often on the bubble in a MTT

Edit: LOL... Just busted by calling with KK vs. AQo....

Last edited:
A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, KK and QQ I will re-raise preflop all the time. On the flop, I will make a decision based on texture and what my opponent has been communicating to me through their bets and overall play so far (tight, loose, c-better, etc.).

A major leak of mine that I recently identified is getting "married to my cards." AA, KK, QQ are nice hands, but in the end, they are just a pair. Always put some thought into your play before making a move, especially post-flop. They are not invincible. If you're beat, you'll probably lose money, but the goal is to lose the least amount possible.

Pot odds and equity always play a factor for me too. Low limit online players love shoving their stack on the flop when they hit something, which is usually a huge over bet, hoping that someone with a drawing hand or an inferior hand will be dumb enough to call them. Sometimes they hit light, others they hit hard.

For example, if I'm holding AA and I re-raise preflop and villain calls that re-raise (assuming he was the original raiser) I take note of that. If the flop comes Q-J-10 rainbow and he shoves, there are tons of things he could have. QQ, JJ, 10-10. QJ, J-10, even 8-9 or AK. All of which would have my AA crushed. SO, I ask myself: is it worth committing almost my entire stack to win a small pot just because I have AA? I don't care if villain is bluffing or not...it's not a good $$ deal.

Let's say you fold and the villain was bluffing. Now, the player may begin to think he/she can push you around. The next time you hit hard against him, use that to your advantage and stack them!

As far as AK goes, a huge leak a lot of players have is over-playing this hand. It looks nice, even suited, but it needs to improve to have anything. In the end, it's just an A-high hand. Re-raising preflop my be okay in later positions, and I'd definitely open raise this in any position, but post-flop, if you don't improve and don't have position, dump it. If you're in position and the villain(s) check to you, a 2/3 or 3/4 c-bet might be okay, depending on the situation.

Sorry for the long post...

Thank you! This was a very helpful post.

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only folds if a high part of the tourney or the bubble and the raises are very high and you need to got the cashing places

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this scenario I would fold AK and QQ, with KK I would definitely play the hand.

+1 Although I might be more inclined to still play QQ though; however, it depends, I've folded this hand before too; depends how nitty they are lol. KK and AA are certainly worth playing for all of our chips though :)

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a big raise preflop I will fold AK, but KK will play.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

watch this video:

and read this:

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/esfandari-and-the-folding-pocket-kings-preflop-puzzle-28765.htm

Folding in Poker