Disqualify for being innactive

J

jdsdog10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing in a group in Pokerbros. I don't really know the people, my brother is friends with some of them though. I've played around 20-30 small tournaments wit this group already. Today they had a 5 person tournament. After I had been inactive for the first 5 minutes, the admin texted me and said it I can't sit out. He then said in the chat room for the tournament that if I didn't show up in the next 5 minutes that he would disqualify me from the already running event. At no point was it ever established that inactive players would be DQ'd (which would be a ridiculous rule).I joined shortly after he texted me, but am pretty outraged by the situation. It's not just me, right? If I were actually disqualified, that would be extremely F**ked up, yeah?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing in a group in Pokerbros. I don't really know the people, my brother is friends with some of them though. I've played around 20-30 small tournaments wit this group already. Today they had a 5 person tournament. After I had been inactive for the first 5 minutes, the admin texted me and said it I can't sit out. He then said in the chat room for the tournament that if I didn't show up in the next 5 minutes that he would disqualify me from the already running event. At no point was it ever established that inactive players would be DQ'd (which would be a ridiculous rule).I joined shortly after he texted me, but am pretty outraged by the situation. It's not just me, right? If I were actually disqualified, that would be extremely F**ked up, yeah?

Sounds a little messed up. You should definitely have the option to blind off if you want to show up late. Maybe talk to the guys running the game and see if that's an option next time.

This would never happen on a normal regulated poker site :)

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it a private group? if I created a group, then the rules in this group would be mine. and your business is to play in this group or not. in Russia there is a saying: “don’t go to another monastery with their own charter”

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a very good rule to remove inactive players. in my club there would also be such a rule.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Well, if nobody had told you about that rule before you've joined, now you know. And since it sounds like a private club, they have the right to have their own regulations, they only should let people know before hand.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Can't really fault them. Having a sitout in a game gives the 2 players to your right an advantage over the other 2 players, free blinds.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A private game may have its own rules. You decide to accept their rules or leave the group. And the tournament leader needed to familiarize everyone with the rules.

J

jdsdog10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, this was not an established rule for the club. They don't allow for late rebuys, so I normally register 30 minutes or so in advance, and you can't "enter" the table until the 60 seconds leading up to start; I end up showing up 2-5 minutes after start time.
Definitely unacceptable to take someone else's money with agreed upon terms and then to change those terms after start of tournament.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there was a rule at Betsafe few years ago, that player is automatically disqualified from the tournament if he doesnt show up until the end of level 1

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A strange situation, if I understand correctly, you played in the tournament, were in the sitout, and you were warned that if you do not play, you will be excluded from the tournament, if so, it is very stupid, because over time, the blinds grow and reduce your stack, without playing you will be eliminated from the tournament.
And if you were warned that you will be excluded from the group, then another thing is if there were a lot of participants in the tournament, then no one paid attention to your sitout, but only 5 people play in the tournament and finding at least one player in the sitout complicates the game.
Imagine that you were invited to a closed private game where 5-6 people will play, you come to the game, sit down at the table....................... and don't play, you will definitely be asked to leave.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen similar regulations applied to freerolls on a few different sites in the past, but not to buy-in tournaments. One site used to remove players from freerolls if they hadn't sat in after the first five minutes. On another site it was after the first level. And on yet another site, you might be playing at an eight or nine seat table and after a couple of orbits you would realize that there were only two or three active players at the table, while the rest sat out as the blinds slowly diminished their stacks. It could take more than an hour for the absentee players to finally blind out and you would start to see any kind of real poker being played.

Like I said though, those were mostly freerolls. I've never seen players penalized for sitting out in a real money buy-in tournament. But then again, it's hard to imagine anyone spending money on a buy-in and then just allowing their chips to be blinded off. I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

Look, I get what you're saying. You spent your money, it's your prerogative to play or not play. But from the tournament operator's perspective, they probably would like to have a worthwhile tournament be played, that would lure other players in the future. But if there are only five players to begin with, no one is going to be eager risk getting knocked out only to see the player who is sitting out make the money and thus end up being rewarded for not playing. So your sitting out ends up incentivizing other players to avoid playing any kind of real poker. That kind of makes for a shitty tournament that no one is going to want to waste their money to play in the future. That's not what you would want if you were running a tournament.