Different style tourneys and strategies for them

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In some tournaments, late registration does not end long before the moment the game approaches the bubble. Sometimes (very rarely), you can not participate at all in the game - you will have enough chips to get into money. More often - you just need to double once. In this case, you get money in just a few minutes of the game and with minimal risk.

However, keep in mind that in tournaments with reward for bounty out (knockouts) this tactic is completely unsuitable - by entering late registration you will probably be the shortest stack at the table and a big target with the inscription "victim" appears on your forehead.

Always carefully study the structure of the tournament, sometimes you need to look at how similar structured tournaments are played. Be sure to consider the availability of rebuys and addons! For the tournament player, there are a lot of tricks that are not familiar to players in the cache. ;)

Good luck at the tables!

Read this on the late registration thread. The late registration for 'knockouts' info got me contemplating what else I needed to know about entering different styled tournaments. Maybe say the type of tourney and the correct approach to it? First time threadmaking.. so be gentle if I screwed it up.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what a $300 GTD is.. but $300 GTD FLHE ? No idea what FLHE stands for..

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Barbarrossa, FLHE = Fixed Limit Holdem

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on what limit and structure a person is comfortable playing at. I myself think that anything over 90-mins of late-reg. is too long in mtt's. I also prefer 15-min blinds over 10 or 5-mins and prefer NLHE to re-buy/add-on, depending on the buy-in.
Entering a trny in the waning mins of late-reg is a formidable tactic to snag a cash, although a win might not be in the cards, staying in the black is quite probable. If I can get in early I stand a better chance to amass a bigger stack to stave off late-reggers and possibly take them out, imo.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
"Entering a trny in the waning mins of late-reg is a formidable tactic to snag a cash..."

This is an interesting "approach".