Crazy hands hitting online vs live

Y

Yaholnitsky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played online and live now for some time (18 yrs) and have noticed trends with online play which often concerns me; things i dont see playing live ever. Things such as chip leaders hitting a higher frequency of low probability hands, or quads + hitting all the time. Thoughts and experiences to share?

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello! You may be very right, more than anything when I saw the room where you play. It was not to criticize this style, but what you say is true and for me it would have to reflect the real game. For hands of unlikely movies is the great "Rounders" film and its epic hand. Try other sites if you haven't done it yet.

This is my point of view does not have to be the reality. Everyone is free to think and expose their theories.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just variation. I firmly believe I see just as many bad beats live as online. In fact, I would say some of the sickest beats I've ever seen have been live. I've never online seen a 1 outer hit, while I've seen it 3 times live. That's small sample, it's generally probably the same. Sometimes guys just run good online.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where do you come up with this stuff

Its an unproven conspiracy theory

Attachments

• PS misread 44 bty called off 32530990_DC68376546.jpg
    PS misread 44 bty called off 32530990_DC68376546.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 123
CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online - Live

I've played online and live now for some time (18 yrs) and have noticed trends with online play which often concerns me; things i dont see playing live ever. Things such as chip leaders hitting a higher frequency of low probability hands, or quads + hitting all the time. Thoughts and experiences to share?
I tend to agree that there seems to be a more frequent occurrence of "strange" hands online than live but let's not forget the large volume of hands played online vs live. However, I have seen a few weird things happen live also..some people call them coolers..example, early in a tournament on the button get AKs, 2 limpers, I bet 4BB, one caller, Board comes A K 7, player checks, I bet 1/2 pot, player thinks for quite a while and then goes all in...I call, yep he has 77 in the hole...weird? or just the way it is. I must admit though online at times some players seem to catch all the time..especially chip leaders..more often quads than ever seen live..:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Just ask yourself this: What exactly would a poker site like pokerstars gain by rigging their RNG to favour chip leaders? The average time, a player spend playing a tournament would be shortened by,,,,what... a few minutes maybe?

Then ask yourself, how much they could shorten the average time, a player spend playing a tournament, by changing blind structures? Hint words here are "turbo" and "Spin n Go". Also ask yourself, if people always buy into another tournament, if they bust due to a bad beat, or if they sometimes stop playing?

Then finally ask yourself, what the result would be, if or rather when a rigged RNG was exposed? As an owner or shareholder would you think, it was worth the risk? The truth is, a site like PokerStars literally has a license to print money, and all, they need to do, is to keep the gravy train rolling. Every time someone buy into a 3,3$ tournament, 36c ends up in the pockets of Stars.

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's an unproven conspiracy theory, we can never know if it is true or not.

But as many others said, memory is selective and you should really consider how many more hands you see online.

Y

Yaholnitsky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a single table tourney, even if its a turbo, you are only seeing maybe 50% more hands than a live tourney. I was playing a freeroll on PS and saw a royal and a straight flush as well as 5 sets of quads in the course of 2 hours of play. You can't actually say that you've played a live tourney with that frequency of premium hands in that short amount of time?

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
freerolls are more frequently given that kind of hands, I'm as sure as you. I also believe that in microlimites it passes, until it reaches medium or high limits where the frequency decreases. Only time will give us the reason, so that it does not affect you it is better to get used to the online game that offers the room and be prepared to live those situations.is in view of everyone, I am observing a lot of other players and does not speak specifically of hands that happen to me, because as well as I lose, I also win that way, but it must be said that it moves away from reality .

N

neonprpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think,this probably happens because online,we play many more hands in a short amount of time,so crazy hands show up more often because of this.

M

maximburlacu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an unproven conspiracy theory
If they asked me for Oll-in, I would fold A3. On this flop I never gave Oll-in because the position is bad and it is a possible full house

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The online poker house excuse that the difference is that online you see much more hands than live, raising the odds of crazy hands. I do not believe in that theory at all, I think the real problem is in its software that needs the game to be more fluid to collect more money and apart from that I also think that there are infinite number of people who play with the help of programs that give them an advantage and that the online poker room turn a blind eye, In fact, studies carried out determine that online poker is 70% lucky against 30% skill, totally contrary to live poker. Playing poker online is playing roulette, but how entertaining it is and even more so in these moments of pandemic

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very often, a chip leader online moves any of your pair or combination with almost any card. This applies not only to tournaments. In a word, fortune. Also, small pairs 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 often cripple several players going to the bank. I already do not pay attention to this. )))

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is online poker 100% legit...…….Meh. There's an algorithm to it. Anything with an algorithm can be exploited. Theres been tons of scandals revolving online poker and "cheating". With the Higher buy in tourneys you get less of the ever popular Runner runner. Or the Smash callers who somehow call with 9-3 offsuit and just mysteriously hit a full boat.

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in on-line it's logical: any call for chip leader costs about 1-5% (or 10%) of stake, so why not?
if there are only 2 hands and a chip leader has any weak ones (like small cards for straight or 2 cards one suit for flush, Ace+something or King+smth) he can calls, cos it's logical by math.
The theory of probability is always welcome...
But live poker gives you more informatoin about player (emotoins and other patterns), so in life the chip leader can know better)

M

Maximillianvalue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a single table tourney, even if its a turbo, you are only seeing maybe 50% more hands than a live tourney. I was playing a freeroll on PS and saw a royal and a straight flush as well as 5 sets of quads in the course of 2 hours of play. You can't actually say that you've played a live tourney with that frequency of premium hands in that short amount of time?

But you play several turbo in a day? Its all sample. I am sure poker is not rigged but if it was, why would they rig it to see more quads? What does it achieve?

G

greenman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tell any online player first get. Import your cards . I was a die hard live player. Did decent but graved the leisure life online provides. First time i brought site into my cards winning probabilities and how off they were they said maybe your luck will change . As soon as i hung up the next hand was quad threes. Next hand was quads threes again. wonder what those odds are. Next hand was aces then kings. Never looked at it the same. Even showed the rep on my luck following complaints . Never looked at online again and never deposited again. Positive ROI TOO.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is well known that the luck factor is bigger at online than live.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live poker is a completely different level of course. Online players can afford to play more recklessly because of the large number of hands and the pursuit of incredible combinations. Clicking on the key does not feel money losses in your pocket.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have seen in a live game Quads beaten by a bigger set of Quads, so ridiculous hands do happen in real live games as well as on-line. I have been following some of the on-line streamers playing during the lockdown and even they have suffered some bad beats.
The one most important lesson I have learned from these Pros is that bad beats happen and if you stick to a plan of not risking your entire bankroll on a single game, good things can happen.
I play single table sit and go's and some days I can win virtually every game I register, then the day after I cannot win a single game, but this does not put me off playing them because I understand that bad days happen just as bad beats happen it is all part of the game and some days you will run red hot and other days stone cold dead.

That's Poker in all it's glory.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The thing I have never understood when people argue you play more hands on line therefore the bad beats leave a greater impression. is why?

It feels more and more like a nonsense logic. If people were happy with online play why would they shy away from saying so? Why do people not come to forums to praise algorithms, and applaud the online experience?

It would appear only the opposite happens which strikes as very odd. It is then all too easy to claim those who question as 'losers' which is not necessarily the case.

As for big stack momentum - we all witness it day in and out in every tourney we play.

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live poker is rigged, I got out flopped 3 times in one day set over set so, I think the dealers were rigging the cards against me. lol

Your brain just remembers the badbeats more than the times that you got lucky and you see a lot more hands online than you do live. There are probably some rigged poker sites and some cheating accounts but, I believe that most sites a legit and are trying to keep cheating out.

N

Northnorth123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i seen same guy get quads in three hands yesterday

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands