Chrome OS -help

S

Scottish77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi i was wondering if anyone knew how i can download pokerstars onto my laptop
whenever i try and download it , i get a message saying its designed for a computer using windows software and my operating system is chrome os.. im not very tech minded and not sure what it means.. i can only play sites that allow me to play in browser and was wondering if this was fixable ..any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chrome os is as far as I know a cloud only system so you wont be able to run pokerstars client. pokerstars offers it's client for windows and mac, and has an App for android (not sure about ios but assume it does.

I asked a similar question about linux because I would like a poker client that will run natively in that. it's probably not going to happen though.

chromebooks seem to be getting more popular so possibly in the future, although I thought the whole idea of a chromebook is that everything is in the cloud.

S

Scottish77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chrome os is as far as I know a cloud only system so you wont be able to run pokerstars client. pokerstars offers it's client for windows and mac, and has an app for android (not sure about ios but assume it does.

I asked a similar question about Linux because I would like a poker client that will run natively in that. it's probably not going to happen though.

chromebooks seem to be getting more popular so possibly in the future, although I thought the whole idea of a chromebook is that everything is in the cloud.

thanks for the reply and info appreciated

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chrome OS as far as I know is Linux, not at all Windows and not OS X (mac). Don't know of any poker client you can install on Chrome OS as they want all the things done through their app portal, browser, etc.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is there something you can use on chrome os that will let you use android Apps?
I can run android apps in windows using an emulator like bluestacks.

there are no native Linux poker clients as far as I'm aware

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just found this https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en-GB

the only issue I can see here is that the google play store may not host gambling apps. I seem to remember having to download the apk from pokerstars on my phone, and allow installation of apps not from the store. how this would work on a chromebook I can't say. but it seems if google is providing the android functionality for the chrome os it should be possible at some point.

P

paulyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a chromebook that i use for web browsing. Could i download linux and be able to play on it? Has anyone been able to play multiple tables on a chromebook using linux? All the major sites seem to allow linux though from what i saw.

Like anyone play on stars or party or 888 with a chromebook? Of course no software like holdem manager would work right?

S

Scottish77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a chromebook that i use for web browsing. Could i download linux and be able to play on it? Has anyone been able to play multiple tables on a chromebook using linux? All the major sites seem to allow linux though from what i saw.

Like anyone play on stars or party or 888 with a chromebook? Of course no software like holdem manager would work right?

im not very tech minded, so not sure what you mean by using linux, as it stands now i cant play stars on my chromebook

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no native poker clients for Linux, so you would be restricted to browser play, which would be the same as what you should be able to do now. I was able to run pokerstars using WINE in Linux a few years ago. I have no idea about chromebooks, since they are not the same as a regular laptop. I would be surprised if you can boot anything other than Chrome OS. That's why I suggested looking into running android apps if your device supports that.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are on a Chromebook. Not a laptop. You are stuck with global, and other flash based sites. maybe ignition, BetOnline and Global.

sorry . Many of those may not work. but should.

S

Scottish77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so if i was buying a new laptop to replace the chromebook..what spec am i looking for in order to play pokerstars and other sites that i cant play on the chromebook

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so if i was buying a new laptop to replace the chromebook..what spec am i looking for in order to play pokerstars and other sites that i cant play on the chromebook

Any spec, and has to have windows. I bought my self 200$ worth new laptop and sometimes run 5 poker rooms at the same time

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say any laptop that runs windows will do the trick. Just ensure that it is not the windows 10 S version (S Mode). This is because windows 10 S only allows downloads from the windows store so similar to Chrome OS some poker sites may not be compatible.

You need to look to ensure that the laptop has the full version of Windows 10 Home then you will be good to go.