Cardschat Debate: To Chatbox or Not to Chatbox?

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I want to start a debate on here about the Chatbox in online poker. Some people leave chat on because they want to get inside their opponent's mind. They do this by reading comments that give clues to how a player thinks. Other players switch off chat completely as they find it distracting during play. It can be a nasty feature during games when players use it to berate people. I am on the fence because I sometimes pick up valuable info from it., but I also hate it. So I don't know if I should keep it or dump it. You?

-Do you switch off chat, or do you leave it on?
-Do you think it is an advantage to read comments?
-Is the chatbox a waste of time?

Thanks,

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are ever emotional or sensitive to whatevers said in chat, maybe it is best to keep it off.
I keep mine on now and i sometimes even poke at the players ranting in chat to piss them off further. I know that the angrier they are, they will make more mistakes against me.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Chatbox turned on but immediately blocks someone when he uses a trash talking.

boomboxcafe23

boomboxcafe23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chatterbox is a fun toy to fan the flames on an opponent when you make a good play/win a hand, but can also ruin my concentration and put me on tilt if an opponent starts playing at my ego. Lol usually I leave the chat on all the time until the bubble gets close then I'll turn it off to leave myself no room for errors during the critical time of the tourney.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
(My opinion .)
I think the chat box does not matter.

The player is important.

:)

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get players talking is my best advice . Muting players blocks a stream of information. Was a time when chat was always filled people talking. Now we all know that isn't so. If you dont use it . They take it away. You should try to keep chat clean ,enjoyable, and friendly. Be surpised what information you can get.

Im serious guys just try it . When you can effect the table action, getting people to shove . Or tell you there holdings. It is a great feeling.

B

Brayan9052

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you do not have to be so guided by what you write in the chat, each one must make his own game and develop a strategy to win.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
1-Do you switch off chat, or do you leave it on?
2-Do you think it is an advantage to read comments?
3-Is the chatbox a waste of time?
1 - I don't switch it off specifically, but I rather like my "info" tab to be there in front of my eyes, therefore I may miss chat dialogs but that's not on purpose. And some rooms (sideeyeing 888 poker here) requires your window to be really huge in order to see chat, so if it's inconvenient to use chat I don't even bother.

2 - Yes, sometimes people do write there useful info, so if you are able to interpret it for your advantage - good. But I think this happens rather rare.

3 - I'm not sure about waste of time, as if you're replying - you definitely have some spare time to do so, if you're busy with other tables you most likely won't even notice what's going on in chat. Although I would say that chatting can be very distracting at times, definitely it happened a few times that being active in chat had affected my play :eek:

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just live it open and totally ignore it. If I may get any kind of tell is fine. I mean, there's no way any chat silly word deviates me fm my strategies.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chat off, I'm playing cards, not talking..

No chat for me. Just another distraction I don't need. Similar to late-stage BB getting dealt 39O.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always on. It's 100% more fun with communication. One step closer to live play anyway.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chat distracts from the game. Plus, there are inappropriate comments left :D

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it's a waste of time, in fact you can get a lot of valuable info by chatting with other players

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you won't listen to me listen to kddy. The post above should be cut ,pasted, printed out ,and placed above your grind station. Try talking to other players. You would surprised what you fish up . ��

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have the chat box on in case I'm feeling exceptionally chatty... Although it's rare to actually find people to chat with.

I don't use it strategically though. Although I can see someone typing madly about that hand that they just lost due to donkeys, system, bad poker site, government, aliens, etc... They usually tilt and bust in the next several hands. Though I dont need a chatbox to predict that.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the chat on , I don't mind talking to people. Especially cardschat members , I like knowing im actually playing somebody. As far as an advantage , Yes/No . I mean if they constantly show their hand and then say why then 100% yes. If someone is getting rowdy in the chat , I will definitely poke the bear , So in the end I love using chat , Makes it a little more Real

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... Some people leave chat on because they want to get inside their opponent's mind. They do this by reading comments that give clues to how a player thinks ... I am on the fence because I sometimes pick up valuable info from it ...
I think you give the average low stakes online player WAY TOO MUCH credit. Daniel Negreanu may be able to manipulate his opponent at the table through chat, but the rest of us just need to concentrate on the game itself.

I mostly ignore the chat. Sometimes I will get into the chat if I've given up on playing seriously and am in a mood to just do some online socializing.