Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone.

With regard to theft of blindness, something that I notice a lot (at least in the low levels that I play, that is freerolls, mtt of low buy in, sits and dons of nanolimits and cash nl 2) is the custom of who is in the blind Girl, when the hand comes clean, it is to match the big blind and bet the flop in the face. I see that "play" much more than direct raise.
Obviously, the vast majority of the time (almost all), the big blind does not connect anything in the flop and must fold.
I imagine that who matched from the blind girl did not connect anything but for now I do not find a reasonable "formula" to neutralize that "strategy" of blind theft in two steps.
I would appreciate any comments and advice in this regard.

As always, thanks for being there.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off you need a big enough sample on the player to be sure they are indeed betting every flop with air, they could have been lucky and hit the flop several times in a row.

Once you've got that figured out. Next step is to see if they sometimes raise. If you find they sometimes raise, then by limping in they "cap" their range (because if they only raise good hands, the fact they limp tells you they have more weak hands than strong ones when they limp). Capping their range means that when they limp (instead of raise), you can remove the strongest hands from their range. Therefore if they limp, a flop with more high/low cards than middle cards will be less likely to give them a made hand.

If they never raise on the other hand then flop texture becomes less relevant apart from you needing to be careful on connected or wet boards. The three strategies I'm about to write are applicable in both cases, but if their range is capped you can be more confident you are ahead on certain flops.

1) You can check raise them, so you being out of position check, they bet, and you reriase them. This will quickly send them a message to bluff you less.

2) (this one is not something you should do often, but if you use a hud and a cbettor's fold to donk bet stat is high you can use this) You can donk bet to deny equity to better hands that can get made on the turn and river. This is good to do with a vulnerable overpair or middle pair and will often confuse people who bluff the flop a lot in position but aren't strong players. This one should be done much less frequently than the other 2. Check raise is definitely superior. Some will say there is no point in donk betting if the c-bet guy will just cbet, but there are flop textures where they might check instead, in that case donking is a good option.

3) Another option is to "float". When you float you call their airball bet with your own nothing-hand to scare them into thinking you have something. Then when they check and show weakness you can steal the pot with a bluff or bottom pair or whatever. This is best done against players who have a high flop cbet% and a low turn cbet% (or in other words, they almost never double barrel bluff), and it saves you chips compared to check-raising (which could potentially cost you dearly in sensitive spots).

Also pay attention to whether they vary their bet size when they bluff the flop a lot. Maybe sometimes they bet small when they have it, and big when they don't, or vice versa.

You can ignore this bit if it doesn't make sense:
Also pay attention to this, if they were preflop caller (and if they are a player who sometimes 3bets preflop), see if they bet bigger on wet or connected flops with many middle cards (and smaller on dry rainbow high-low flops). This is a sign they are possibly a solid player and their betting range on wet flops is weighted towards nutted hands or strong-semibluffs. I would be more inclined to float on dry flops vs smaller bets.

Edit:

Doh, I forgot the best strategy. If they limp Pre, steal their open limp with a 4xBB raise (assuming they fold to that kind of thing). If there are two limpers make it 5xBB, if 3 limpers 6xBB. Sometimes you encounter players who are sticky preflop and will call anything to see a flop; with these guys you can add another bb to your steal size and if that doesn't work just steal with only good hands. If they fold a lot though then you should add some weaker hands into your "stealing range".

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, I apologize if some things don't make sense, I'm half braindead from not sleeping enough last night :/

Last edited:
Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off you need a big enough sample on the player to be sure they are indeed betting every flop with air, they could have been lucky and hit the flop several times in a row.

Once you've got that figured out. Next step is to see if they sometimes raise. If you find they sometimes raise, then by limping in they "cap" their range (because if they only raise good hands, the fact they limp tells you they have more weak hands than strong ones when they limp). Capping their range means that when they limp (instead of raise), you can remove the strongest hands from their range. Therefore if they limp, a flop with more high/low cards than middle cards will be less likely to give them a made hand.

If they never raise on the other hand then flop texture becomes less relevant apart from you needing to be careful on connected or wet boards. The three strategies I'm about to write are applicable in both cases, but if their range is capped you can be more confident you are ahead on certain flops.

1) You can check raise them, so you being out of position check, they bet, and you reriase them. This will quickly send them a message to bluff you less.

2) (this one is not something you should do often, but if you use a hud and a cbettor's fold to donk bet stat is high you can use this) You can donk bet to deny equity to better hands that can get made on the turn and river. This is good to do with a vulnerable overpair or middle pair and will often confuse people who bluff the flop a lot in position but aren't strong players. This one should be done much less frequently than the other 2. Check raise is definitely superior. Some will say there is no point in donk betting if the c-bet guy will just cbet, but there are flop textures where they might check instead, in that case donking is a good option.

3) Another option is to "float". When you float you call their airball bet with your own nothing-hand to scare them into thinking you have something. Then when they check and show weakness you can steal the pot with a bluff or bottom pair or whatever. This is best done against players who have a high flop cbet% and a low turn cbet% (or in other words, they almost never double barrel bluff), and it saves you chips compared to check-raising (which could potentially cost you dearly in sensitive spots).

Also pay attention to whether they vary their bet size when they bluff the flop a lot. Maybe sometimes they bet small when they have it, and big when they don't, or vice versa.

You can ignore this bit if it doesn't make sense:
Also pay attention to this, if they were preflop caller (and if they are a player who sometimes 3bets preflop), see if they bet bigger on wet or connected flops with many middle cards (and smaller on dry rainbow high-low flops). This is a sign they are possibly a solid player and their betting range on wet flops is weighted towards nutted hands or strong-semibluffs. I would be more inclined to float on dry flops vs smaller bets.

Edit:

Doh, I forgot the best strategy. If they limp Pre, steal their open limp with a 4xBB raise (assuming they fold to that kind of thing). If there are two limpers make it 5xBB, if 3 limpers 6xBB. Sometimes you encounter players who are sticky preflop and will call anything to see a flop; with these guys you can add another bb to your steal size and if that doesn't work just steal with only good hands. If they fold a lot though then you should add some weaker hands into your "stealing range".

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, I apologize if some things don't make sense, I'm half braindead from not sleeping enough last night :/

Hello my friend.

What you have written is excellent. I will study this strategy in depth because the theft of blinds in two steps is one of my poker loss holes (one of many haha).
I thank you infinitely that you have bothered to elaborate an answer of this level even knowing that I am a newbie.
If it doesn't bother you, I will probably ask you once I apply your advice.
Thank you very much my friend.

P.D: I have to buy a HUD .......

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello my friend.

What you have written is excellent. I will study this strategy in depth because the theft of blinds in two steps is one of my poker loss holes (one of many haha).
I thank you infinitely that you have bothered to elaborate an answer of this level even knowing that I am a newbie.
If it doesn't bother you, I will probably ask you once I apply your advice.
Thank you very much my friend.

P.D: I have to buy a HUD .......

Ask away as much as you want :)

The gist of it (in layman's terms) is this:

1) At first try this: If they limp and you are in the blinds try to raise against them. Chances are why this usually happens to you is because after you check on the flop they sense weakness and try to steal the pot from you with nothing. Chances are if they didn't raise they have bad cards and will fold to a raise anyways. That's why you should take the initiative to try to steal the pot from them right there and then, preflop. Your raise size should be 3 big blinds + 1bb per limper. If they still call you a lot then add 1bb to your steal size. If they still call no matter what then "tighten your range" meaning play stronger hands than you would normally play, the exception to this is if they fold a lot on missed flops in which case you should still keep a wide range only to steal it from them on the flop (this does not apply to postflop calling stations). This is one of the most lucrative situations for you in the long run, that is; when they call your raise preflop after limping only to give up on the flop the majority of the time that they miss it. Keep in mind though that you are out of position though, it's much better to raise limpers when you have position on them so when out of position lean towards raising slightly stronger hands than you would in position; but if they fold a lot when you raise their limps, then you can go ahead and start adding a few more speculative hands to your raising range.

Now because you raised preflop you can continuation bet the flop instead of them trying to steal it from you, if they are a weak player they will fold more often than not. If they are the sort of player who pays no attention, then when you do have a very good hand, instead of forcing them to fold, try to get creative and build as big of a pot as possible. This means letting them bluff the flop.

The 3 steps in my previous post should be your secondary options.

Also be careful with this kind of preflop raise if you are in SB and have a player who likes to re-raise (or call a lot) to your left in the BB. He will realize you are raising a lot of speculative hands, and he will sometimes try to steal your raise from you with a 3bet.

You should prefer to do this from the BB than the SB anyways.

Last edited:
Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks again my friend.

You are very kind.