My bankroll management.

O

OMGInsanoCut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is the longest bankroll I have manage in quite a while, after blowing my bankrolls couple of times. I' am looking forward to these restricted freerolls even though I got stable bankroll. Been winning and losing and early this morning I almost blew my bankroll again but I manage to get it all back and even make extra after my comeback at s&gs HU. I been trying bigger buy-ins at tourneys then I usually do and try to get the buy-in amount through s&gs and my bankroll have been stable, my adrenaline were quite busy trying to comeback from all my lost, now I' am just hanging out with $0.40 buy-ins s&gs and wait till afternoon freerolls if I'm still up.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not sure if you have a question in there, but I suspect that there are holes in your bankroll management that would indicate to me that you are more of a gambler than a level-headed poker player, and I can see patterns that would lead you to eventually blow this bankroll too.

I’m no expert (although I’ve never put more money into my account after an initial deposit and even then, I’ve taken out the initial deposits and only playing with house money now) and have no intention of ever depositing again.

So if you don’t mind me saying... it’s probably best if you make peace with your prior losses and make your last deposit your psychological starting point and aim to grow as a poker player. The gambling mentality is to always seek to make up for the last loss, and to do so by taking bigger and bigger risks with each loss. If that’s how you want to play the game (and what makes it fun for you) then be my guest but I do think that it’s a long term recipe for financial trouble.

I also don’t know if playing through an adrenaline rush is a good idea either as that can result in overconfidence that leads to overaggression in your play, leading to more bad decisions and then from there, more risk-taking motivated by a strong desire to make up for the last loss and then then combined with overconfidence from adrenaline... the pattern repeats itself.

If you want to be a successful long-term poker player, you might want to consider plugging this leak. But if you are doing this for the thrills... then adopt the attitude that each deposit is your entertainment dollars at work and treat losses as the cost of entertainment. At least that way, you wouldn’t be taking wild risks to make back the money you already lost.

My 2c anyway.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your choice of BI for tournaments that you play is determined by the level of adrenaline - I have bad news for you. :)
You should always follow bankroll management if you want to achieve something in poker.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as bankroll management comes in I'm bad in it but I can tell you one thing which will help you grow always still to the plan and satellites, you will see earning skyrocketing.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that bankroll management is a hallmark of a successful player. Financial discipline will allow you to avoid stress and be a successful player in the long run.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on you and your abi. If you prefer satellites than its more than good for you else when in downturn it all got sucked up just like me.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are a disciplined player and always adhere to bankroll management, this is certainly the first step to making a regular profit. For example, I never spend more than 2% of my bankroll.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For regular speed sit and go's and tournaments it's pretty good to stick with 100 BI and you won't lose it all in once. Same problem for me, i haven't stick to BRM for more than 2 - 3 days, just blowing it up after tilt and playing a lot bigger stakes that i can afford.

O

OMGInsanoCut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not sure if you have a question in there, but I suspect that there are holes in your bankroll management that would indicate to me that you are more of a gambler than a level-headed poker player, and I can see patterns that would lead you to eventually blow this bankroll too.

I’m no expert (although I’ve never put more money into my account after an initial deposit and even then, I’ve taken out the initial deposits and only playing with house money now) and have no intention of ever depositing again.

So if you don’t mind me saying... it’s probably best if you make peace with your prior losses and make your last deposit your psychological starting point and aim to grow as a poker player. The gambling mentality is to always seek to make up for the last loss, and to do so by taking bigger and bigger risks with each loss. If that’s how you want to play the game (and what makes it fun for you) then be my guest but I do think that it’s a long term recipe for financial trouble.

I also don’t know if playing through an adrenaline rush is a good idea either as that can result in overconfidence that leads to overaggression in your play, leading to more bad decisions and then from there, more risk-taking motivated by a strong desire to make up for the last loss and then then combined with overconfidence from adrenaline... the pattern repeats itself.

If you want to be a successful long-term poker player, you might want to consider plugging this leak. But if you are doing this for the thrills... then adopt the attitude that each deposit is your entertainment dollars at work and treat losses as the cost of entertainment. At least that way, you wouldn’t be taking wild risks to make back the money you already lost.

My 2c anyway.
yep, both freeroll winnings and deposit ones... like "A" game to crash, always seems to happen from lack of sleep and my surrounding... last spring I had the best run from 0.10 to $270, lack of sleep but hyped up for S&G HU I lost it all the next day.

It all depends on you and your abi. If you prefer satellites than its more than good for you else when in downturn it all got sucked up just like me.
Maybe it's from my game, when I first learn poker I used to be on my "A" game in cash games, somewhere something happens and i'm now at different software and mostly on S&Gs and tourneys, maybe that affects my game, strategy and bankroll.

If you are a disciplined player and always adhere to bankroll management, this is certainly the first step to making a regular profit. For example, I never spend more than 2% of my bankroll.
Thanks for reply, I usually climb my bankroll and has to set a limit when I feeling premium next time, I'm usually go big or go home, next time I'm on fire, next day I'll try manage that bankroll from advice, I always go big and next day I blow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not use more than 2% bankroll for the tournament, and all will be well.

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My BRM comes down to not going over my monthly budget for poker from my salary.

I look at it as worthwhile entertainment and the poker table is very educational.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i went through the ups and downs of bankroll management in the early years and what i've learned is to make sure you focus on the key games that you know you play the best at. i put stop limits to make sure i step away if i hit that limit to avoid tilt and blowing everything away. i like your approach of taking the money you win from sngs and using that in higher buy in mtts. i typically stay within my buy in range, but i haven't really played up as much as i should despite my bankroll easily supporting the higher limits. i'm going to change my thinking thanks to your post

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now you can see lots of freerolls on different sites. For sure, it,s pretty easy to play some freerolls on 888 or Party and win some free cash. No need to risk your own money if you not sure in your game.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management