Bad beat actually a Bad beat?

mercyscercy

mercyscercy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off maybe everybody thinks this way.. but it feels like I've had more bad beats(suck out) than anybody on the face of the Earth. I've had my fair share of getting lucky and hitting the so-called "suck out" card.. But I have had way way more bad beats happen to me then me sucking out on an opponent. Now this is where the definition of bad beat or suck-out can vary from person to person. The other day a friend was complaining to me about a bad beat that happened. How he lost to a 6-9 when he had A-A. Fortunately we play allot and routinely go back and look at the hand played. Most sites where you play will allow you to go over your past history of hands. After looking I saw my friend's opponent had a massive chip lead on everyone left in this tournament(110 people). Holding :ah4::ad4:My friend put a small pre-flop raise which understandably was called by the chip leader who had:6s4::9s4:. The flop was a:7s4::2d4::8s4:. Now we all know even if you put your opponent on a pair of aces or even a set..that with a up and down straight flush draw 95% of us aren't going anywhere. So the Aces bet about 25% of his stack(15k)..the 6-9 raised double (30k) obviously acespushes and 6-9 calls. The turn was:3d4: and the river:ks4:. So is that really a bad beat aka suck-out.. or is that just poker? My opinion is that's just poker, someone playing there cards. They called a raise with suited connectors, they had plenty of chips to play some hands normally they wouldn't. God forbid had a lucky flop..just like my friend had a lucky first 2 cards getting A-A. In a game where luck is always involved no matter the skill level. I would like to get opinions though on what everybody thinks. When is it actually a bad beat or suck out and when is it just two hands playing poker and one hand lost.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, its not a bad beat. When most of the chips went in, 96s was probably even a little bit ahead with the 15 out draw. Also AA should know, the opponent might either already be ahead or have a big draw on a low connected board like this. So it should not come as a huge surprice for AA to lose this hand :)