What is your opinion on deal-making for WPT events? Matt Savage wants to know!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like deal-making. I wish it was offered more on the online sites also. Having said that I think it would bring down the climax of the TV event. You know the one guy winning the big money. Maybe that is why they are against it.

Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like it. I dont think it counts as a champion after a deal was made. Imo

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has to be like the big online tournaments - require any deal to keep a substantial enough amount to play for (100K for winner etc), that way there is still an actual winner and the players can still lock up a big win.

More big winners is a better thing for poker tournament ecosystem - the variance is huge in WPT/wsop events and forcing the table to play it out just leads to deals away from the table anyways.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do think maybe they should have the possibility to make a deal like they do and lots of other tourneys..but I also agree that it's still televised poker and people like watching it to see who the big winner will be so it could possibly detract from that also. So it's kind of a toss-up whatever they decide to do

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Of course the EPT has allowed it for years but I can say that often means the tail end of a tourney really feels lacking (particularly if you have watched the stream for several days).

I think the only way, as others have noted, is the chop leaves a substantial amount still to play for along with the title. And note, substantial is the key word. Too often a final two or three have been seen playing out a few hands with no real conviction but just virtually speeding along to bring things to a conclusion.

It could however be interesting to see tournaments limit the scope of chops perhaps, and prohibit splits for the main/key event of each tourney.

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I figure it is, the players have no obligation to be competitive for TV. If somehow the WPT paid the final table above and beyond the prize pool then yes they would have a complaint, but as long as its 100% player money in the prize pool, those players should have 100% decision on what to do with it.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's a good idea in my opinion. In tournaments where the prizes are massive and the difference between them is significant, the possibility to making a deal is a welcome thing especially for those who do not want to risk a lot of money in a single flip. :angel:

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deal making is a huge insurance opportunity for many poker players.
Why?
Because it protects many players from themselves.
How?
It gives them a chance to take a certain amount of money, they might otherwise lose if they contend playing, you gotta think about this a little

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Big tournaments usually last a very long time, and during this time the players are very tired both physically and emotionally, therefore, to be safe, if none of the players are against, it is better to make a deal. I'm all for it !!!

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its far less dramatic when they do deals. Your watching it for the drama of who is going to win the big prize. That drama is lost once they do a deal and play for a relatively small amount.

Its in their interests to do it, but not good for entertainment. Nobody cares about the "trophy".