Stu Ungar died 21 years ago today (video included)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Stu Ungar, the three-time WSOP Main Event champion passed away in Las Vegas on Nov. 22, 1998. Despite his flaws, he’ll always be remembered as one of the greatest poker players ever.

Even though some of us may not have been around when he was playing poker, I'm sure most have heard a story about him that has stuck. What is your memory of Stu?

Flashback Friday: Poker Great Stu Ungar Died 21 Years Ago Today

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched a movie about him and I read a lot of articles. One of the best players but ... a sad story about drugs and other vices.

S

Slacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have read a lot about Stu Ungar, including "One of a Kind" (great book). Uncanny ability to read cards. Amazing, but sad story.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He had a lot of demons like me.. gambling in other thing beside poker is bad..

Luckily i stop playing blackjack or Roullete

T

timeforachange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enjoy

I enjoyed reading and watching old film on stu ungar. Watched the movie about his life. He enjoyed life way to much the good the bad the ugly. But I’m sure if he were still here he would have as many bracelets if not more than hellmuth. He just understood gambling like no other.

Secret Rival

Secret Rival

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Have read a lot about Stu Ungar, including "One of a Kind" (great book). Uncanny ability to read cards. Amazing, but sad story.

I just got that book, will read it soon. :cool:

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He had some very serious drug addictions unfortunatelly , and he was such a great player , he would have accomplished a lot more without his problems :(

I just wish and hope his daughter and her family is doing well in her life since her father's tragic death ...

U

Unbustable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was the g.o.a.t. for sure. Not only did he adjust his game superbly, have a natural gift for the numbers part of the game but I think he played with no fear! He was extremely confident in his abilities and it showed!

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stu Ungar, the three-time WSOP Main Event champion passed away in Las Vegas on Nov. 22, 1998. Despite his flaws, he’ll always be remembered as one of the greatest poker players ever.

I hadn't heard of him, but looked up on Youtube after I news of his death came out. I think he was some sort of genius, to just pick up on a the nuances of poker withing that amount of time and win, unless Gin Rummy is similiar? I don't know if it is

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I hadn't heard of him, but looked up on Youtube after I news of his death came out. I think he was some sort of genius, to just pick up on a the nuances of poker withing that amount of time and win, unless Gin Rummy is similiar? I don't know if it is

Yes, Stuey was a genius! Just about any card game requires strategy - I'm not a Gin player and it's been years since I have played, so I'm pretty sure there is some correlation between the two.

D

danntesvarna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much before ,I don`t know anythink about this legend and drugs and others thinks ,I am actually shocked.

Thank you,I don`t know anythink about this legend before.And a movie from 2003 look good High Roller etc.Drugs and other thinks it`s so mad player,but it`s not a best player at all.Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

with a balloon to the moon
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He had some tricks in his sleeve that were very uncommon for the time he lived in. I watched some old wsop episodes on youtube (1997 and earlier) and this guy was truly a master at poker. He knew exactly when he can get people off hands. Would be so excited to watch him play nowadays and see what he is up to and if he could still beat the "new" generation of gto-player types. Rip the legend!