Can someone put all of this in perspective for me?

S

SuitedPear

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played on Full Tilt when Black Friday hit, but I still have a few questions about how everything works.

1) How exactly can other networks still allow players from certain states in the US? I know that a lot of it has to do with state laws and statutes if you can play or not.

2) One of my main questions is: Is it still technically illegal for us to play online poker in the US? If someone could dumb it down for me and give me a basic idea in a nutshell of how everything works I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys!

3) Also, do these same laws apply to sports betting?

Last edited:
A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a description here US Online Poker Sites for US Players

But you have to scroll down about half way down the page to get to that article. It is also the same page as the menu button at the top of the forum website labeled "US poker sites"

I don't think it addresses sports betting though

Y

you feel lucky punk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Perspective

Some states allow online poker withing their state, but outlaw it otherwise for their own residents.

Some poker sites have decided to not accept US players because of Banking Regulations.

Some people think the law matters; it does not.

The US federal gov has not banned online poker, specifically. But it hates anything it can't tax.

Read the book "They Thought They Were Free" by Milton Mayer

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sites like ACR and ignition are small outlaw outfits. They are basically saying, sure there is a law against it but we don't really care. And now that they are using bitcoin it is pretty tough for the us government to crack down on them because that is a currency that is completely independent of the banking system. party poker and pokerstars were / are billion dollar corporations whose owners no doubt have assets which can be easily seized so that is why they had to play nice and ban Americans. Presumably the owners of ACR and Ignition believe that they are small enough to fly under the radar or have enough of their assets off the grid as to be worth the risk of thumbing their nose at the hegemon.

paipingprung

paipingprung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Till the day I die I won't understand why our government didn't just make a deal with offshore online poker and gaming sites in which if they wanted US players then that had to pay a tax on rake collected from US players.