MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patrik Antonius - Downswing

Does it get any worse? Only winning one hand in five hours, drop $500,000, food poisoning, loss of a loved pet?

https://www.cardschat.com/news/patrik-antonius-500000-downswing-83085

I hate to say it out loud, but Patrik's story is an inspiration to me. You gotta have faith and discipline (through the worst) to make it in this business.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
High stakes run bad shouldn't feel any different than other stakes if properly bank rolled, right? So does this mean there's something else going on behind the scenes for Antonius?

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not care about him. He is one of the best poker cash players of all time. He will get out very quickly from this the negative series.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High stakes run bad shouldn't feel any different than other stakes if properly bank rolled, right? So does this mean there's something else going on behind the scenes for Antonius?
in the vid he says along with a whole day of always getting the second nuts, he found out his dog died

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, i dont care about hom and he doesnt care about me....

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You win some, lose some, all the same to me

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Antonius should start his own youtube channel. Anyhoo this shows how even the best struggles with massive downswings.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kudos to Patrik for sharing what most in his situation would keep private. Hope that he gets a major upswing.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow,,,, he gets no enjoyment from winning,just "normal"? But it hurts alot to lose,,,, :icon_pale I would't play if i received no enjoyment from winning,,,:eek: Sounds like hell to me.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the last month I lost about $ 30! And it makes me sad. And it turns out people are losing $ 500k.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes.. it's the dog that did it for him

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You wouldn't need food poisoning to give you upset tummy after a 500k down swing it's amazing how these guys bounce back from these swings.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I wonder how many people are "properly bankrolled" to handle a 500k downswing???

One of the things that makes Poker, especially high stakes, confusing, is that "we" really never know exactly what financial arrangement these guys have set up. I imagine that patrick was holding too much of himself, that is why this is hurting so much.

Many times the Tournament Pro's who play all the big tourney's are not risking much of their own money. They sell, swap, cross-book, and take plenty of precautions so that they will not get wiped out by a huge downswing.

Saying all of that, this might not be the case with the old school guys. They are not really considered to be the "top of the food chain" any longer. It might be more difficult to lay off a huge percentage of your action. You know the Ike Haxton and Fedor Holtz 's of the Poker world, put and keep many guys in action but they only support the GTO theory based guys. Definitely not the "Old School Pros"

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've got to admit, I feel for his loss...

But dont we all go through it? I mean has anyone seen how badly I've been doing in the league lol ????? What a Nightmare!!!!

It means alot to me, maybe not as much as $500,000 but its alot lol

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... I mean has anyone seen how badly I've been doing in the league lol ????? What a Nightmare!!!!

It means alot to me, maybe not as much as $500,000 but its alot lol
I actually hadn't noticed till you pointed in out Ken. :)

One of the nice things about League is that there are a large number of games spread out over a long period of time so there's plenty of opportunity to break out of downswings.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read Patrick's interview. Accidents happen to everyone, you can not easily get around them. He'll come back and be back on top, I'm sure.

polocash

polocash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For 5 hours I feel for your loss, but we need to have mental determination

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He really seems to feel terribly in the video , very sad , this downswing must have cost him a lot , plus it's his dog loss.... But it's Patrik Antonius , I believe if he can't recover by these unfortunate strikes of luck at the poker tables , noone can :)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at high levels, it is normal to lose those sums, regular players only publish what they earn, few players who posted big losses.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck to him! Very sorry for his dog.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i didnt know what the games were

limit , pot limit or no limit ….. but $500k is not much of a bankroll at those stakes !

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is actually a good thing for Patrik. His fans get the unique chance to witness his difficulties, see that he is an imperfect human who also struggles with emotion, and become more curious in seeing him rise up again.

He will bounce back, and when he does, he will be respected even more.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The money can be replaced eventually. I feel sorrier for Patrik with the loss of his dog. :(
Me too that's what I was thinking because all of us that have lost a dog or a pet at any time knows how hard that can be........ although I did think a little odd that he said he doesn't get excited or anything if he would win that much money it only affected him when he lost. I wonder how he can keep going playing if he doesn't get excited or happy if he wins 500k LOL he must really have a lot of money :)