DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Shells,

Sad to say I think the issue of whether Negreanu deserved the POTY award is a moot point at this juncture. Obviously the majority opinion is the point system to award the title is a farce and so any suggestions/ideas to improve it are welcomed.

On sheer strength of finishes, I have seen other 'fairer' calculations which could have awarded Dario Sammartino, but, as Jon Sofen has posed above, Robert Campbell was by far and away the most deserving- and let's not forget he and others actually won two bracelets.

As for Negreanu, I have made my opinion clear on other threads regarding the farcical rebuys...but it's some of the smaller stats that really irk. For instance, if I recall (correctly)what another poster pointed out, Negreanu won 150 points or so for a min cash in a PLO event. He late registered (very late) and the poster was not entirely sure whether he played 2 hands or it was actually 1 to make the min cash/points. He simply blinded straight into the cash.

In essence the WSOP have shot themselves in the foot with this, and lets not forget, this has been going on for years. However, the entire poker world has grown more sophisticated - along with the general level of play, every one has developed a pretty good BS meter and most see the POTY debacle for what it is - farcical.

It's such a shame because I do believe in awards and recognition, but (ever the optimist) I think Negreanu's win might be the straw which broke the camel's back. We'll have to wait and see,

Last edited:
P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No it’s not ok, it’s a very important event, counting is not hard. What were they doing, why didn’t the players in the hunt know? Was it a secret?
Here’s the real question!!!
Did Daniel know he really lost, and was he going to say anything??????

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Daniel... One of the best poker players of all time for sure! But this time he did not deserve the title.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow nice article! Clearly Jon has thought a lot about this!! I didn't know that the POTY didn't even receive any prizes, that's disappointing! As far as who should win the POTY, I think they should play heads up for it!! :):icon_thum

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Campbell´s victory is well deserved.He won 2 bracelets this year.Daniel Negreanu is my favorite poker player though

WSOP