Justin Bonomo wins the Triton Short Deck and suggests retirement from poker

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going out at a high point is something thats difficult to time. If he says he'll retire from full time pro and just pick a few events thats a good strategy. Could be sick of travel because unless you done alot you don't realize how much a pain some weeks on the road can be.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think he’s retiring, but he’s not gonna grind every series. No need to live out of a suitcase, always away from the comfort of home when you are financially secure. Traveling that much must take its toll on you. When I travel home after a vacation I can’t wait to get home and relax. It must be extremely exhausting having to do it every other week or monthly. Plus, he mentioned short deck poker and the fact that he’s not a huge fan of the poker variant of flipping for such an important amount of chips. I respect his honesty, and kind of agree that short deck is much more of gambling poker game that adds unnecessary stress for him. He’s financially secure and there’s no need in risking millions with minimal edge.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree that he probably won't retire, but I expect him to cut way back on tournaments. However, without a financial incentive, how will he play?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good for him,,,,coming to the point where enough is enough and take time to enjoy life is a huge turning point in one's life. :) Enjoy! :five:

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What does it mean to "retire" from something? Does it mean to never play a hand of poker in your life, and partial "retirement" is playing less then you did before?

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
So did Fedor Holz at one point and this didn't take long. Fedor couldn't stay too long apart from this fascinating game that led to the highest peaks. I also think it will be the case for Justin. There is always that spark inside us that lights up every day another motivation. Even though he has won almost everything he can win in poker, I am convinced that even if he takes a break he will realize that this is a lifestyle. The trips with the poker game make him really happy and he will be back to the table very soon.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All these top players are partially retired. They’ve made so much from poker that they don’t need to play everyday. Some of the people that have retired are Dan Coleman (was crushing high rollers and decided to basically stop playing), Peter Eastgate (ME winner who was in some high stakes cash games, got into a sports betting problem and stopped gambling). All these other guys like Fedor aren’t really retired.

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He should retire and invest, he's too rich now. he's proven too much