IS it time to stop unlimited re-entry poker tournaments?

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good article:
https://www.cardschat.com/news/reentry-poker-tournaments-opinion-86021

I .... agree, only because "some" have had issues in the past with getting to a Tournament "late" and... oh ... "that really sucks".

Ummmm.... hrmmm.... this is a hot-topic among players that are getting to things but don't have the "ability or monetary means" to get to it like one of the "elite" which is to say, "those with money".

Sad but True. :(

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CardsChat Promo Games

Good article:
https://www.cardschat.com/news/reentry-poker-tournaments-opinion-86021

I .... agree, only because "some" have had issues in the past with getting to a Tournament "late" and... oh ... "that really sucks".

Ummmm.... hrmmm.... this is a hot-topic among players that are getting to things but don't have the "ability or monetary means" to get to it like one of the "elite" which is to say, "those with money".

Sad but True. :(

Edit1: If you are "in the Club" you get to play against a "smaller more advanced elite player" <<-- This is My Quote and Take.

If you can see this page: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/sil...ord-thread-all-silver-level-freerolls-401663/
(OPEN IT IN IN NEW WINDOW OR TAB)

Then you have some access. If you can see this page: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...ord-thread-bronze-level-freerolls-all-401613/
(AND NOT THE ABOVE REF'D YOU AREN'T *elite*)

Caste Systems are still in Effect around the World. Most Notably, in india. Poker World is no Different. Money at Top is. Simple as that. :(

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Edit: The Only One that tries I mean. If you have subversive inside then you need to "weed them out" like I said in an earlier Post that probably was deleted. :(

btw: if you have Proof of misconduct within the "administrative Duties of CardsChat" please... forward or speak to .... ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Edit: The Only One that tries I mean. If you have subversive inside then you need to "weed them out" like I said in an earlier Post that probably was deleted. :(

Sometimes other people will post the news, but I'm pretty sure I have been posting a bunch of the news, too. :)

As far as posts being deleted re: news, I haven't seen any threads/posts deleted unless they are off topic, not English, etc.

Try to use the edit function on the posts, too....that helps to understand the response just a bit better.

Any questions, fire off a private message.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Why can't this entire issue just be treated with common sense?

The reason I get frosted is this has gone on for years with a lot of disingenuous pronouncing and little to no attempt to rectify matters. Read any thread on the matter (here or 2+2 etc.) and sensible views have been offered for years.

There are times when it is valid to provide re-entry - local tournaments with limited professionals in the field where the prize pool is boosted to the general benefit of the entire field. It remains an even playing field.

As regards serious 'events' with multiple tourneys for a variety of player levels perhaps the main event (such as the wsop) should remain single entry or one re-entry. Outside of this most tournaments should remain one re-entry (note I am talking large scale events) and then the jump would be to those tourneys which are borderline high roller - say 5K entry- or above. These tournaments will generally be played by pros and wealthy recs and if they want to knock themselves out with multiple re-entries, go at it as far as I am concerned.

As for the argument some pro will be bent out of shape if he flew across the country and got knocked out immediately- boo hoo! He can re-enter the high level buy ins. But if we are concerned, what about the guy who has worked his butt off to build a bankroll to entry such tournaments? He then watches a pro at his table puke large bets simply to fluke a double up (busting a 'lesser' player with no concern) who can then lose his stack, laugh it off and return minutes later with a new stack. His experience (and the hundreds of others at this level) should be of more concern to promoters than some pro who 'flew in' - I mean what a vacuous argument.

Simply implement changes to show there is an attempt to make events fair and equitable. Nothing has to be written in stone, make sensible changes, see how they work, amend further if needs be. It's not rocket science.

With that said, could the press leave Daniel Negreanu out of the conversation on this matter for reasons stated time and again.

Last edited:
greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Completely agree with Daniel, unlimited Re-entry tournaments must end

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I totally agree , the option of a single re-entry or unlimited re-entries changes dramatically the dynamic of the plays. I am not saying that the companies should stop entirely running those non freezout tournaments but give more flexibility to the players to play what they want.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I also totally agree that the unlimited Re-entry tournaments are finished ... I think that if the players know that if they are finished the chips are once eliminated from the tournament, they would think twice to be playing all-in with any marginal hand ... Poker regains its essence and the game of "bingo" in poker is eliminated.

paisley

paisley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do hate when players come back after you've taken them out.
I also have an issue with late registration that goes on forever. The game doesn't really start until that's over. Which makes the whole tournament go on forever too.
An hour is sufficient time. You missed it, too bad. Play one of the other dozens of tourneys starting every hour online.

Bassgeye

Bassgeye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While I don't care for unlimited buy ins they do build up the purse. The loosest players rely on it and the tighter players can stack up on them.
I prefer, especially live, tournaments that are limited to 1 rebuy.

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think re-entry is ok as long as it's not allowed for many hours in a single tournament. For example, for an online tournament, having re-entry available for 5 hours to try and meet a guarantee is ridiculous.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like it. Players with deep pockets, can afford to play more reckless to build a big stack early.. I understand the poker sites side of it. To have GTD Tournaments they need all the entries they can get. So I usually enter late to avoid the "Cluster".

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the long re-entry period combined with unlimited re-entry really makes the early play more like walking through a minefield. Online especially needs to figure out a way to make the game a little more skillful earlier. I've seen a few live tourneys where they scale the rebuys, so it sounds like some interesting ideas coming out to combat that.

MorMeg

MorMeg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The game doesn't really start until that's over. Which makes the whole tournament go on forever too.

I totally agree with you on that the tournament doesn't really start until that's over. If I happen to build a big stack at that point, I tend to stall and waste as much time as possible so the re entry period is over.

I don't mind that the tournament goes on "forever" though. I definitely prefer slow pace over turbos.

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it’s only starts after subscription is closed. Infinite rebuys are not for me.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they should limit reentries to two that should be enough for most players. In large buy ins people who have large bank accounts can just keep firing bullets.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are great for reeling in the fish, but the real action starts when the late reg has finished and with these that can take a while to sift through the donk play... personally i avoid them, but ill have a go once in a while :)

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be delighted if this were to be abolished, as I consider it unfair if you can still register and log in 3 hours later, with options for several new purchases for the tournament, in my opinion, completely excessive So be that you should have a maximum late reg of 1 hour, and can do a maximum of 1 rebuy. In my opinion that would be the most sensible

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Unlimited re-entrances are a trap for recreational players, they usually just do not realize that in order to recoup their countless entries, they only need to win a tournament, and they are unlikely to succeed.:eek:

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: Well, those tournaments are for people who have very good banking, where there are many FISH players, crazy players who bet ALL-IN with any speculative hand, I hardly play those tournaments for my bank, but it is better not to stop these types of tournaments.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how much money you have, you should now your limit.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think these are fine. Anything that adds more prize money is a good thing with lower field turnouts.