Doyle Brunson no longer playing WSOP Main Event

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just read that he will not be playing in the main event any more. don't know if that means he will not be in the other events. I agree with him that the hours are too long. But I will miss seeing him. He is truly a gentleman. I admire the dignity he brings to the game. Thanks, Doyle, for being my poker hero.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So Doyle is a great player. Health and long life.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 or 5 days takes it toll on even young guys, and with doyle being in his mid 70's its understandable, although im sure he will still frequent the cash games and make some cameo's...will be missed in the wsop main.

J

JackGrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the best ever... and a true gentleman.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He should do it just to keep his spirit and body young. I mean, George Bush 1 goes skydiving every year on his birthday and he is like 90.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sitting in a chair for 12 hours a day for 7 days doesn't keep the body young lol

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A great guy and a true poker legend.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 or 5 days takes it toll on even young guys, and with doyle being in his mid 70's its understandable, although im sure he will still frequent the cash games and make some cameo's...will be missed in the WSOP main.

He is 80!

I don't blame him.

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he is sicker than people know-He has pasted the tourch to his son Todd anyway.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is one of the best of the best of all times its sad that he will not play at WSOP

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just read that he will not be playing in the main event any more. don't know if that means he will not be in the other events. I agree with him that the hours are too long. But I will miss seeing him. He is truly a gentleman. I admire the dignity he brings to the game. Thanks, Doyle, for being my poker hero.

I asked and was able to get a pic of him in Vegas. He didn't seem too thrilled at first but managed a smile. Here you go:

Attachments

• Doyle.jpg
    Doyle.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 163
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At his age, I don't know how he did it in the last few years. Playing every night for 3 to 4 hours is a lot easier than playing all day for a week ( if you are winning). The field was only a couple hundred in the old days, but they were mostly great players. Getting through this many, is very difficult and the better players will experience enough bad luck that they don't get through. Very tough to repeat now.

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hope he hangs on for many more years to come. is he the oldest to ever play in the main event?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It isn't just the toll it takes on him - but he doesn't like leaving his wife for long periods of time either. So playing cash games instead of tournaments permits him to choose when to start and stop.

He was waffling back and forth over this decision while we were all in Vegas. It wouldn't totally surprise me to find him in a tournament again.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He may be quitting the main event, but that doesn't mean he's quitting poker. He still loves the cash games and I think will be around for a few years yet.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't say I blame him, those tournaments take their toll on anyone let alone someone 80+. Glad that Doyle it still at it after all these years, what a true legend.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't say I blame him, those tournaments take their toll on anyone let alone someone 80+. Glad that Doyle it still at it after all these years, what a true legend.

Could not have said this better myself,+1000.....scorp:proud:

P

psychoiticmaniac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is one of the best of the best of all times its sad that he will not play at WSOP

So true he is the Legend. But I guess we will get a chance to see him at high stakes cash tables. Long live and Good health >>> Sir Doyle Brunson ...

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, I still have SS2 in the bathroom and read up on mixed games in it!!!

What a titan in the poker world; if he says he simply can't do it physically, you better bet your ass he cannot.

bsam

bsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh man I guess there goes a great player that lots of people no longer have to worry about in the main event. But that would of been cool to play against him and win or get busted either way it would be COOL!!

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If that is indeed it for his playing in the Main Event, going out after a deep run in the 2013 Main, finishing 409th, that's a good way to go out.

I never had the honor to meet him, but I think I'd want to talk some basketball with him too given his pedigree in that arena too in his youth.

Imagine how different things could have been had he not hurt his knee.

R

ramrjamr2007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

His style of pokeris outdated, and is health is getting worse. He stands virtualy no chance of winning and cashing is not becoming worth it. He will always be remembered as a great, but needs to retire, at least from WSOP.:jd4:

WSOP