Doug Polk's poker challenge $100 to $10,000

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How long do you think it will take him to complete it (if at all)?

And what do you think his edge is over the general field in %?

I personally think he won't complete it because he'll get bored before getting there.

He probably has a 10% advantage over the general field. He is mainly a cash player so until he reaches a stake in which the rake is sustainable; he could be in for a long ride.

Unless he binks something early on.

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he's streaming again now. It's gonna take a while if he's just going to 1 table HU sng's. Seems like he's hoping to just ship a micro tourney. Once he moves to cash I think he'll move pretty quickly.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if he makes it; what does it proves?

That a top crusher can make money playing poker?

If he is struggling at all to make it then what are the chances a rec player like me accomplishes that?

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he can do it but he will need some adjusts in his game if he's playing micros.
Nothing really to prove, just marketing involved in all.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a promotion piece and has a certain novelty factor that should interest micro players. He will probably make 10k but it will take him at least a few months. It has been fun to watch Doug deal with a 7 way limped pots at 1/2c cash games. I see this as a nice change of pace since I will not be playing any 25/50 anytime soon and may be able to apply some of his technique. Hopefully he sticks it out. #GrindNation

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He will probably make 10k but it will take him at least a few months.
I could use 10K in a few months.

However I'd have to find some players that are willing to lose that kind of money and not fight so hard. Plus I have to tip pokerstars with my rake. :D

FrostyyAustyy

FrostyyAustyy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was pretty comical that he was down $13 after the first day. I'm not sure how he ended up last night after I went to bed, but you can tell that he is going to have to make some big adjustments to be able to crush the micros.

thechamp5

thechamp5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Took Ferguson 18 months (I know I am cusing right now) but it's not an easy feat. The week before he started this I saw him lose almost 20,000 bucks. I think this is a conservative thing he is doing to get himself back on track and playing better poker.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How long do you think it will take him to complete it (if at all)?

And what do you think his edge is over the general field in %?

I personally think he won't complete it because he'll get bored before getting there.

He probably has a 10% advantage over the general field. He is mainly a cash player so until he reaches a stake in which the rake is sustainable; he could be in for a long ride.

Unless he binks something early on.

Think the boredom depends on whether or not there are any big sidebets riding on it

There was some mention of him trying to get something going but not sure if that happened or not

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's doing it for attention and exposure. He also already addressed the "boredom" aspect, said poker is basically a job so stakes don't matter.

I think he will make decent money off twitch and his youtube channel and maybe it leads to more sponsorship $$ in the future. I think it's good for the game.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's doing it for attention and exposure. He also already addressed the "boredom" aspect, said poker is basically a job so stakes don't matter.

I think he will make decent money off twitch and his youtube channel and maybe it leads to more sponsorship $$ in the future. I think it's good for the game.
I agree. Even when he was playing $1/$2 or $2/$4, thats probably the equivalent of 1c/2c to the rest of us.

Just a pity its on really late for Europeans to watch, maybe try watching some of the stuff on Youtube

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he realized that there is more money to be made by making people believe that there is money to be made by playing poker than actually playing poker himself for money. :eek: :eek: :eek:

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he fails this challenge (goes busto), or if it takes way longer than most think it should (1 to 2 years), then will that mean online poker isn't profitable?

What would the above statement indicate if someone like Doug isn't successful?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he realized that there is more money to be made by making people believe that there is money to be made by playing poker than actually playing poker himself for money. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think that he is only doing this to promote his brand. How many people wouldn't sign up if he makes short work of this? I know that I would sign up. Plus I think he is getting some kickback from wsop.com (he alluded to this when ask why he is playing on WSOP instead of ACR). He has stated many times that ACR is his fav American site.

JAQK_T

JAQK_T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chances are very high that he busts. If he does this even in a year, it would validate so many things that i have doubt about regarding poker.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that he is only doing this to promote his brand.
When selling training videos and offering signup bonuses becomes more lucrative then playing poker; pros sell their brand name for money.

I can't blame them since poker is on a downward slope and it is harder to make money by simply playing.

I watched him on Twitch and he was playing cash games 2c/4c. He was struggling even though he is a pro at this.

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it will not! but maybe he's lucky

P

Pavel Davydov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it will take a lot of time

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He can do it with haha , it's really hard and takes time , but i'm anxious to see what he can do .

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could use 10K in a few months.

However I'd have to find some players that are willing to lose that kind of money and not fight so hard. Plus I have to tip PokerStars with my rake. :D

LOL, harder to find charitable donors these days.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Even if he makes it; what does it proves?

That a top crusher can make money playing poker?

If he is struggling at all to make it then what are the chances a rec player like me accomplishes that?

You know, this gives me an interesting idea. It would be much more fun if a coach did a video stream where they took a losing or break-even micro player and coached them and helped them run up a $100 bankroll to $10,000. I think that would be more interesting. Take your everyday nobody and show that they can become a success.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he fails this challenge (goes busto), or if it takes way longer than most think it should (1 to 2 years), then will that mean online poker isn't profitable?

What would the above statement indicate if someone like Doug isn't successful?

It doesn't mean that online poker isn't profitable, it just means that it's difficult to REALLY grind a micro stake to a big number. If Doug isn't successful, it actually wouldn't surprise me. Even the best players in the world are underdogs to achieve this, just not as big a dog as amateur players. If amateurs were achieving this, we'd hear more about it, but we don't. We see people talk about these types of challenges, but how often are they successful? Does that necessarily mean they're a bad player? Of course not. It just means that it's a VERY ambitious goal that I'd say 98% of people, should they attempt it, would fail.

Doug is an excellent player regardless of whether or not he achieves the goal.

I think that he is only doing this to promote his brand. How many people wouldn't sign up if he makes short work of this? I know that I would sign up. Plus I think he is getting some kickback from WSOP.com (he alluded to this when ask why he is playing on WSOP instead of ACR). He has stated many times that ACR is his fav American site.

This is excellent publicity for his Twitch channel, and it's all about building his brand. Jason Somerville is the most successful poker player on Twitch as of right now. He has obviously learned a LOT from Daniel Negreanu about building your brand. Doug is in the process of doing that as well. Challenges like this are a big part of it.

How do you think Tom Dwan built his reputation? Through the Durrrr challenge even though it didn't really ever amount to a whole lot. Combine that with his appearance on the TV cash games, he turned that into a career as a professional poker player. How profitable is he? We don't really know, but we can speculate. I mean, if he ever decided to go onto Twitch, I'm sure he'd attract a fairly decent audience just on reputation alone. But then he has to put in the work to continue to build his brand on Twitch.

FrostyyAustyy

FrostyyAustyy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally feel like Doug is opening way to wide for the rake at micro stakes. I don't think he is playing bad, it just shows that there is a whole different strategy for micros than there is for high stakes games.

He is trying to defend way to much and he is finding that people at low stakes just don't respect his raises and call way to frequently.

This is just my opinion however in the handful of hours i've watched.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somebody once asked me what my favourite hand is, and I said "The one that takes all your chips".

I'm going to use this quote every chance that I get. I'm surprised that you think Doug is such an underdog in this challenge. I think that he will complete the challenge, but it will take longer than most think it "should".