A poker player heads to the islands for the 39th season of Survivor!

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I moved to Venezuela there's no difference... lol!

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mmm is a small country it looks like an island 😁.... I watched that program the last week it is very funny to see all the things they have to do to survive

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
mmm is a small country it looks like an island 😁.... I watched that program the last week it is very funny to see all the things they have to do to survive

ah, I think I understand now. :)

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ronnie Bardah is an excellent player will surely get along ... I do it after he takes the bracelet in wsop

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool, I remember watching the season with Jean Robert Bellande.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker player Ronnie Bardah has announced he will join the 39th season of the popular television game show, Survivor! Let's see if he is as tactical on the tropical island as he is at the poker table.

I'll be tuning in! Will you?
Poker Pro Ronnie Bardah to Go Wild as Survivor Season 39 Contestant

yup I'll watch some of it :) I think they are crazy but fun to watch :)

Since I moved to Venezuela there's no difference... lol!

:rofl::rofl::adore:

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
39th Season?! WTF

No wonder a reality show celebrity got elected president of USA

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked the season of adults and young people

T

timeforachange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always wondered in these reality tv shows is it scripted to the point where they know who will win or favor it for that because it is will be great tv? I think certain fields give a favorable advantage and especially being a poker player his ability to call out the bluff and read people will be key and i would consider him among the favorites, although I do not know any of the other competitors

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Guess who got voted off 1st?

I know. :rolleyes:

It's not often I catch the first episode of a new series - managed to watch this one in it's entirety. He wasn't paying attention! and he was talking wayyyy too much....lol.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn! I had high hopes for him too. Thought he would go deep given his experience playing poker and the strategy involved with it. Still a bit confused at how he became the target. I don't think he was the weakest player on the tribe by far! :D:confused:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
...and Ronnie promptly exits stage left. Well, sorry to say I saw that coming. Not first boot, but early days for sure.

Obviously there is a strong fan base in the poker community for Survivor – Jason Somerville has staged tourneys with Survivor players and media figures and Daniel Negreanu is an avid fan also. However, there’s a misperception poker play equates to strategic thinking which can then be applied to a broader context. As a general concept I think the idea falls flat -specifically so with Survivor.

Poker has it’s own skill sets- but they are somewhat insular. Survivor demands a broader set of skills and taps into a highly motivated and educated fan base to source their players. Though many express mock ‘surprise’that Survivor is still aired- it has one of the most loyal fan bases in television - the weekly viewing figures (live to air) still regularly hit 10 million which is phenomenal in today’s market. But, as someone recently noted, that means the entire fan base could be classified as ‘Superfans’, as people who know the history and gameplay inside out. From that perspective a poker player brings little to the party.

So it comes down to personality if you are to evade the first few ‘tribals’, a voteout - let alone hit the merge. The way to do this is almost appear a nonentity, but yet willing to work hard around the camp and in challenges. If you bring your ‘character’ to the fore (good or bad) you risk alienating others because all they have to form an opinion on is whether an individual is trying to assert their self.

Ronnie Bardah is a nice guy, particularly in a poker context -he’s affable and gregarious at the table. He certainly knew better than to be too ‘out there’ on Survivor and thought he could keep all things RonnieBardah low key. But the inability to keep that convivial nature tamped down (at least temporarily) raised red flags and led to a naive expressing of opinion -this early its better to have zero opinion on any and everything.

So poor Ron became a classic ‘first boot’- not for any actually offensive or aggressive behavior, but just lacking the discipline to keep his head below the parapet.

It’s precisely thesame reason I could never see Danial Negreanu succeeding on Survivor either (that idea itself has been rumbling for years). I don’t think Daniel could tamp his character down, he’d want to be a the center of everything and would therefore put a target on his own back(even without the idea some would likely know who he was).

And, talking of how I believe poker skills do not translate to reading the game of Survivor….

Daniel Negreanu was so excited before this season he talked Adam Schwarz and TerranceChan into agreeing to do a weekly update on Survivor within their DAT Poker Podcast, due to Bardah’s participation. Negreanu was sure Bardah would progress further than any other poker player had done before being a nice guy etc….

….please note there has been no DAT podcast so far this week.

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Update....the DAT poker podcast is now out with Daniel, Adam and Terrance take on Bardah on Survivor as well as other poker news!

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh man, he played it sooo badly lol. He made himself a target simply by trying to steer the discussion to another. Not only that, but he picked a target who was popular with the rest of the group. His logic was correct, but he didn't have the credibility for his tribe to trust him. The way he approached the southern lady was terrible too, I knew she was gonna see through him in a second!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Lothar McDowner -

Yup. I think it's hard to argue at this point that any old poker player will somehow make a good Survivor cast member. Anyone with 'personality' in poker community terms is going to come off as not too subtle on the island.

I could see it work if they found a really well rounded poker individual who was confident in themselves while at the same time being self contained- even reserved to a degree.

Not too many guys come to mind for me...but I could see someone like Kristy Bricknell doing well if she put her mind to it. Very smart, has competed with men in various pursuits since a young girl and I think could hang back and play a strategic game. Don't have a clue if she is even interested however.

Funnily enough I think the same fault applies with real hardcore fans of the game, the Survivor Nerds/Superfans as they call themselves. Yes, they are super fans but get caught up in the moment, their 'expertise' and the need to show they can find idols, blindside people etc...they expose themselves as a threat!