2019 EPT Barcelona Main Event controversy (video included)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Then EPT Barcelona €5,300 Main Event began with 1,489 players. After Thursday’s Day Three session, it’s down to 48 grinders hoping to get their hands on the €1,659,000 first place prize. However, the exciting tournament has been overshadowed a bit by a possible angle-shoot.

Did Quan Zhou angle-shoot or was it a mere accident? You be the judge.

(video included in the article)

Quan Zhou’s Possible Angle-Shoot Causes Stir at EPT Barcelona (VIDEO)

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That should've been ruled as a fold.

But his reaction after the fact seems legit to me. Nothing over the top like Sam Soverel. So I don't think it was an angle.

That been said, I think Poker Tables should have a "betting/folding line" to avoid this kind of situation.

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That kind of motion could turn into a painful life lesson in some places. Not recommended.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no doubt of that. Pay special attention to move.

ch1r4q

ch1r4q

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it seems like he knew what he was doing. His reaction was pretty confident, like he did it on purpose. I personally don't like it, should be considered cheating, even it was just an attempt.

uros1991

uros1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Come on,it's ridiculous way he was looking into his cards after that move ... It's angle-shoot for 100 %,everybody will say that... just look at his eyes ... This should be fold but alot of weird things was happening on this EPT :D

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By my opinion ,the Dealer, Zhou and Tournament Director must receive some sort of penalty for opening the flop. He moved his cards towards the Dealer, clearly it's act of folding.

Ponomarev must think about perspectives of his future poker career, cause Hollywooding a quick new look at his cards after that pre-flop 3bet wasn't necessary at all. It's a EV- move for the game, for his body and for his state of mind. Losing energy and time for such actions is simply stupid. It's also not wise to lift your cards that high without covering them even if the deal is over. You're either showing cards, or hide them.

Your 2 cards are the main instrument in the game, it's so ugly to see those two using this their tools in such terrible way.

I

IRONMAN3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no doubt he looks, but just in case we should call the VAR >.<

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two words: NOT COOL! specially when you are on International tv!

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just think about how do you feel when a player slow rolls you, and then think about this. If this makes you feel worst than a player who slow plays you then this is considered worst than slow playing coz is almost the same principle deceitful, just saying.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the line - fold. Simple.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that Doug's video did a good job of talking the dynamics here. Bottom line, it is not against the rules to see someones cards. Protect yourself at all times, or just play online :)

T

timeforachange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I watched this fold it seemed to be that it should be a fold he made a clear movement over the line and then took it back. I mean every incident is interpreted differently but to me this is a clear fold and move onto next hand. did he do it on purpose I have no clue but should be a fold and that is it. although it worked out for the other guy because he got more chips. also i think he is calling any three bet or shove,

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without a doubt if it was not penalized, it is a good experience to take into account

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure that he was going to fold the hand and then he says let me bet and try my luck in the flop.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was up there with Angling Alec. This guy is scum. then looking at the guys cards..

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I find this debate farcical (including the fact Daniel Negreanu at first called it a cool play- then tried to walk it back half-heartedly).

It was a clearly an angle shot - he stretched his arm forward to fold the cards in the center of the table whilst watching what the other player was doing to see if he could get a read.

Additionally I believe there was some indication from others who had played with him he had pulled a few other stunts so this wasn't even a completely isolated event.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is done intentionally and confidently. The player provoked the dealer and watched the reaction of other players. This is just a dirty tactical move.:mad::eek:

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barcelona

I think the hand is well played with a pair of 66 was paid, the flop did not favor it and the fold is fine