Rather than using a range calculator...

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.pokerprobability.net/calculator/texas-holdem.html

The algorithm behind this MUST consider range. And surely it is far quicker than inputting range manually yourself. The fact that you enter the number of players surely means that it looks at every card the other player must have in order to still warrant being in play with exception to bluffing, i.e. their range. It must then compare this range to your hand and then calculate the theoretical strength of your hand against theirs.

No? If no, why would a manual range calculator be better?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All that is doing is equity against a random hand(s). It's no where near as useful as a calculator where we can assign various ranges because most people don't just plat any 2 cards.

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All that is doing is equity against a random hand(s). It's no where near as useful as a calculator where we can assign various ranges because most people don't just plat any 2 cards.

Does there not exist a calculator that removes the range of hands that would be useless by the street entered? I just don't understand why you would have to enter range manually when a computer could do it - by looking at the board and thinking by the rule 'if the player is still in and not bluffing, he must connect to the board somehow, ergo his cards must be [...]"

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because computers haven't been programmed well enough to do that yet

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because computers haven't been programmed well enough to do that yet

Think about it though, it isn't difficult. All it needs to do is evaluate every hand that can possibly connect with the board and/or supercede your hand, which isn't a lot, and then weigh up the probability of that person having that hand and/or their drawing.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think about it though, it isn't difficult. All it needs to do is evaluate every hand that can possibly connect with the board and/or supercede your hand, which isn't a lot, and then weigh up the probability of that person having that hand and/or their drawing.
Really think about it though, it is that difficult because different players play different hands in different situations preflop, so unless the computer knows your opponents, their position, and all the preflop action it can never be expected to know what board textures hit their ranges. Just never going to happen.

Example at a 6max table a 20/16 player opens UTG and you call on the BTN. The flop come 3, 6, 7 with 2 spades. UTG basically never connects with that board. His entire range is overpairs, unimproved overs, and a few flush draws. But if the same scenario plays out with a 60/40 opener, he can have a ton more draws (both straight and flush) and better made hands (2 pair+) that the tight opener will never show up with.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It needs some AI to do this actually. But since you asked, I might as well pimp this because it's super cool and does exactly what you're asking. It will connect to your database and it can pull the hand and it will ask you what street you want to generate a hand range for your opponent(s) for. Then based on the action of the hand it will create an auto range and calculate that equity. You can adjust it of course. It does all sorts of other cool things, and it's free. I can explain more, but it's 100x better than poker stove and a lot of other calcs out there.

http://acepokersolutions.com/pokerequitycalculator.html

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It needs some AI to do this actually. But since you asked, I might as well pimp this because it's super cool and does exactly what you're asking. It will connect to your database and it can pull the hand and it will ask you what street you want to generate a hand range for your opponent(s) for. Then based on the action of the hand it will create an auto range and calculate that equity. You can adjust it of course. It does all sorts of other cool things, and it's free. I can explain more, but it's 100x better than poker stove and a lot of other calcs out there.

Do you have any good videos/exercises to do using the Equity Calculator

Did have a little play and tried to import a hand from HEM2 and got following error. Also got same error when I clicked on Holdem Manager and Poker Tracker
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at APDEquityCalculator.FrmMain.keyat5N7ZK(Object , EventArgs ) APD Equity Calculator

Attachments

• APD HEM2.jpg
    APD HEM2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 95
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what you are suggesting would be a highly complex "BOT" of sorts that is capable of both analyzing the board AND what players are likely to hold on that board. it may sound simple, but for the time being manually entering their range will be better for you because

1) I don't believe software like you are describing exists yet

2) it is better for your own game and own critical thinking to assign ranges to players based on your experience with them, it will also be more accurate.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any good videos/exercises to do using the Equity Calculator

Did have a little play and tried to import a hand from HEM2 and got following error. Also got same error when I clicked on Holdem Manager and Poker Tracker
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at APDEquityCalculator.FrmMain.keyat5N7ZK(Object , EventArgs ) APD Equity Calculator
'

Ugh, thanks. Yeah, someone sent me this recently. I'm having the developer look into this, thanks.

I don't have any exercises off hand or videos. But it's a good idea to do. I'll get the developer to fix this and then do a short video on how to use it and some exercises to do.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what you are suggesting would be a highly complex "BOT" of sorts that is capable of both analyzing the board AND what players are likely to hold on that board. it may sound simple, but for the time being manually entering their range will be better for you because

1) I don't believe software like you are describing exists yet

2) it is better for your own game and own critical thinking to assign ranges to players based on your experience with them, it will also be more accurate.

It does exist though. The calculator I just talked about does this, but it needs to connect to your database to do so.

I also have a more complex version of this that has very advanced AI, but it's not officially released yet.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does exist though. The calculator I just talked about does this, but it needs to connect to your database to do so.

I also have a more complex version of this that has very advanced AI, but it's not officially released yet.

sounds interesting

Could you start with the basics in an excel sheet with calculations based on HUD Stats

i.e.
VR = Villains Range HR = Heros Range

Code:
   =IF(AND(VR>5,HR<13),"3Bet",IF(AND(VR>12,HR<20),"call",IF(AND(VR<20,HR>25),"Fold","")))

just used random numbers above but you get the idea, also might be easier if you use a lookup table

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Excellent! Thank you for that. Yeah I was gonna ask for an alternative to my original question which was basically for a piece of software to tell me what hands would beat mine at any point.

I'm trying to load from the database - it's finding database files but then no hands are showing in the table below, is there something I have to do ?

Also... how do I select which players have folded? I'm trying to input the following info -

2 players
My hole cards: AsKs
Board: 2c 2d Ad 7s

I want to quickly see what hands would beat mine...

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent! Thank you for that. Yeah I was gonna ask for an alternative to my original question which was basically for a piece of software to tell me what hands would beat mine at any point.

I'm trying to load from the database - it's finding database files but then no hands are showing in the table below, is there something I have to do ?

Also... how do I select which players have folded? I'm trying to input the following info -

2 players
My hole cards: AsKs
Board: 2c 2d Ad 7s

I want to quickly see what hands would beat mine...

For the auto assign range and AI part to function, you need to grab the hand from your database. It needs the whole hand so it knows, who raised, what action occurred. When auto assign range is turned on (button at very top), then it will ask you, what street do you want to assign a range for? You pick that and then it will do the rest of the work.

FYI, there's a new .05 version out. It should resolve in database connection issues. There was a minor bug in there if you kept the default database name. Should work now, but if have any issue, please let me know and I'll get it fixed.

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYI, there's a new .05 version out. It should resolve in database connection issues. There was a minor bug in there if you kept the default database name. Should work now, but if have any issue, please let me know and I'll get it fixed.

I just downloaded from the link about half an hour ago and it is recognising sessions but no hands appear underneath in the table.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you double click on a session? What database are you using?

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
see attachment.. it is v0.5

Attachments

• hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 67
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks... hmmm, very odd. What poker site are you mainly playing on?

I think you have unlimited posts and my PM box is just about full any ways. Always have to go back and do maintenance on it. :)

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks... hmmm, very odd. What poker site are you mainly playing on?

I think you have unlimited posts and my PM box is just about full any ways. Always have to go back and do maintenance on it. :)

It's limited up to 65...!

pokerstars. Using Holdem Manager 2.

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've just realised though actually that Equilab can do this - if I just set the other players' ranges to 'random' that gives me exactly what I want. Then I can tweak it afterwards based on suspected hands..

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've just realised though actually that Equilab can do this - if I just set the other players' ranges to 'random' that gives me exactly what I want. Then I can tweak it afterwards based on suspected hands..
But as WVH pointed out, this is what most all equity calculators do, i.e. calculate against random opponent cards. Because that's all they're capable of without manual intervention or villain stats from a database to guide it.

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But as WVH pointed out, this is what most all equity calculators do, i.e. calculate against random opponent cards. Because that's all they're capable of without manual intervention or villain stats from a database to guide it.

I see, yes. I suppose the main reason I'm wanting to use random hands is because I'm playing so many fish it's impossible to trust that they even know why they are betting half the time, so the range is literally random.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen some videos with a tool Flopzilla, it seems to work with ranges and how they connect to the board. It is not free though.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's limited up to 65...!

PokerStars. Using Holdem Manager 2.

Ok, new .06 version up. This should resolve all your issues and get your hands loaded from the database also. I think when you try this you'll see why it's the best free poker calc out there.

Poker Odds Calculator