PTR selling HH

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have gotten (as many of you no doubt as well) emails from PTR offering deals on buying HH. I am not sure what to think about this, as I always thought this was a form of cheating. Just want to get others thoughts on this.

Does anyone do this, I dont know if people will want to admit to doing this, or is it standard, like when everyone else has guns, you better have one too.....

For my stakes, it would be kinda ridiculous, but how about high stakes players? Do they say no and do it secretly? Or maybe openly?

greenokom

greenokom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also got it. I just wonder what can be done with the HH. Makes me laugh to think that players go through hundreds or thousands of hands and begin to analyze them. Is this real?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also got it. I just wonder what can be done with the HH. Makes me laugh to think that players go through hundreds or thousands of hands and begin to analyze them. Is this real?

Its quite common for players to buy hand histories. They will not analyze thousands of hands, they simply import them into HEM or PT3 and instantly have each players stats on their HUD's.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only think of it in one of two ways.

1. It is unethical and amounts to mass collusion.

But then the argument that poker databases are sort of inevitable is pretty damn strong. And if we accept it as the evolution of poker then:

2. It is the next step in the evolution of mass multitabling and huds and is continuing to reinvent the game in a direction that I personally do not enjoy.

Either way it sucks.

That said I enjoy looking people up on PTR now and then, so I s'pose I am a bit of a hypocrite. :)

kybcat

kybcat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the time and want to do that it is worth it.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its quite common for players to buy hand histories. They will not analyze thousands of hands, they simply import them into HEM or PT3 and instantly have each players stats on their HUD's.

True, it is more common than some might think (why else make a business of it?)...

I do believe that it is explicitly or implicitly against the TOS of most rooms though, so I would not yak it up if I were doing it (I'm not, too cheap for that and don't play much HE ring)...

Imagine serious multitablers might indulge tho... :p

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps if we want to be totally honest about this, we should encourage all hands, ever played, that are recorded, to be available to anyone. Which would clear the air, level the playing field, and the only remaining question would be, what is a HH worth?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tons of people do it and its quite common tbh. It is against the policies of the sites but they do nothing to prevent it, so it is inevitable that more and more people would use the HH.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps if we want to be totally honest about this, we should encourage all hands, ever played, that are recorded, to be available to anyone. Which would clear the air, level the playing field, and the only remaining question would be, what is a HH worth?

They are really cheap and if you are at like 100 and 200 games, it worth it to have that little extra bit of info on your opponent. I should also say that while this is my opinion, that does not mean that I buy them

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you also pay $$$ for them not to sell your HH?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The hands of the pros are available and played on TV so why not.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much would you pay for the HH of the best online players?

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like this idea, won't happen any time soon tho. Cognoscenti like compilers and owners of data like to keep their own books (and sell them)... :rolleyes:

Would sure change the way the game is played were it ever to happen.

SlySwagga

SlySwagga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PKR and that whole other mess of poker software is unethical if ya ask me. Me personally, i'm strongly leaning towards only playing live poker and coming up that way if i'm good enough.

Poker software might be misleading anyway. U can have someone's 5000+ hands history but what if that person changed their game last week? Now they're suddenly diminishing the importance of position for eg. and playing like Gus Hansen.

Live poker i believe is where its really at.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ill cut out the middle man and offer you a great price on my hand histories and then everyone will know my incredibly complex play. It so complex that I usually get lost midway through it and lose myself.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is against virtually all sites' TOS, but is nothing new. I'm surprised OP was surprised by this -- there are many HH sellers on the market and they've been doing so for a very long time.

Lots of people use them. When I first started in online poker and first got PT3 and HEM, I bought some micro stakes HHs to seed the software with. About a year later I got a bit self-conscious about it and purged them (micro stakes HH's obsolete very quickly anyway, so they were of little use). But rest assured even the top players are using them. Remember the Townsend/Hastings/Isildur "scandal" awhile back, where Townsend shared a huge HH on Isildur with Hastings before his match with Isildur? Hastings took Isildur for over $4M. Everyone knew Townsend didn't have that many hands of his own against Isildur, and Hastings had virtually none. And Townsend was then, and still is, a Full Tilt Red Pro, and even with it being his second scandal in about a year, he only got a 30-day suspension. So yeah, the sites are doing a whole lot to stop it, because ultimately it's unenforceable.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is against virtually all sites' TOS, but is nothing new. I'm surprised OP was surprised by this --

Not surprised at HH being bought and sold. I was just a bit surprised that they are openly sold, as I always thought it would be a quiet under the table thing, but it seems to be being offered and advertised quite openly, and I have lately been sent a few offers with discounted HH, giving detailed lists of Buy-in, game format basically offering custom HH deals according to my game, like I can buy $55 SnG FR regular, or 10-20 FR, from players at FT or PS and so on. Seems it against all TOS so I was a bit surprised at the open advertising. Kinda like openly advertising smuggling tools.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ They're pretty much openly advertised everywhere, I think, not just from PTR. You're getting the emails because you created a PTR account (which btw is also a violation of TOS ;) ), but if you frequent many poker-related sites and forums you'll see banners and ads for HH sales as well as datamining software (IdleMiner, etc.). There are some sites with forums dedicated to the buying/selling of HHs (I'm almost certain HEM used to have one, but I don't see it know -- probably dropped to keep nice with the sites).

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ They're pretty much openly advertised everywhere, I think, not just from PTR. You're getting the emails because you created a PTR account (which btw is also a violation of TOS ;) ), but if you frequent many poker-related sites and forums you'll see banners and ads for HH sales as well as datamining software (IdleMiner, etc.). There are some sites with forums dedicated to the buying/selling of HHs (I'm almost certain HEM used to have one, but I don't see it know -- probably dropped to keep nice with the sites).

as you surmised, i have registered at PTR. Didnt know it was a breach of TOS. lol at me I guess. I dont utilize my acct there, just one of the stops I made on my nlhe internet journey, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

What kinda "laws "am i breaking? I am not being facetious, i really didnt know I was breaking rules. I dont use it online while playing.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ Well I was mostly being facetious with the PTR comment -- I seriously doubt you'll find any serious online player who hasn't just registered at PTR but visits it frequently. I was needling you is all. ;)

We've had numerous threads on this subject and one just recently where I posted a lengthy post with the terms of FT and Stars on PTR, where we were discussing the unofficial position of Stars not actually enforcing the ban. I also noted that DTB was concerned enough to remove their coaches' results links to PTR, and replace them with graph images, after it was pointed out to Hunter Bick that Stars actually still includes PTR in their "always prohibited" list. Hunter had been under the impression that it Stars only prohibited it while playing. Them having at least one Team pokerstars Pro on staff as a coach kinda makes that awkward, lol.

In a nutshell, at FT it's prohibited while playing. At Stars, despite their unofficial stance of not enforcing it, it's still on their full-time prohibited list, as in, you can never go there period. Ever. Even while not playing.

Obviously people are using it, and while I've heard of FT even recently warning people they catch using it while playing, I haven't heard Stars doing so. It was a big privacy hubbub from some Euro companies with very strict privacy laws that caused the initial concerns, where Stars agreed that they won't enforce it -- yet they still haven't removed it from their prohibited software list.

It kinda goes back the HH thing -- all sites forbid the buying & selling of HH's. You're only supposed to have HH's that you yourself have captured from your own games. But while detected PTR is pretty trivial if they want to enforce that, there's really no way for them to detect your acquisition of HH's not your own, other than by trawling online forums and identifying people that admit to it. Or leave them laying around their hard drive in the "C:\Datamined Hands\Hands I Have Purchased" folder, lol.