Poker Odds

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a tool that can be used to understand how the odds are calculated for a particular hand.

For example QcJc v/s Ah5d with flop 8d9d8h, the odds are 36.31/63.69.

Is there any tool out there that can help understand the math behind this calculation?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are tools for sure, like Flopzilla, and there are tons of videos out there that break down the math for you. However, I've only met one person that I believe actually does the math in real time in their head, and you'd need to do that. I don't think it's feasible to try to use one of these tools while playing. I think most people use them for hand analysis after the fact.

In any case, good luck to you! :)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a tool that can be used to understand how the odds are calculated for a particular hand.

For example QcJc v/s Ah5d with flop 8d9d8h, the odds are 36.31/63.69.

Is there any tool out there that can help understand the math behind this calculation?

I suggest using a program such as equilab that is an advanced equity calculator.

The numbers you put, 36.31/63.69 are the percentages each hand will win at showdown. So on average A5o will win over QJs 64 times out of every 100 matchups on this specific flop if the hand makes it to showdown.

The odds are figured out by running a simulation where both hands are all in on the flop and random turn and river cards are dealt, a fast laptop can run millions of simulated hands per minute, so the calculations are very precise.

The math is simple, it takes the number of times it wins and divides by the number of trials.

6369/10000=0.6369 or 63.69%

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

vox1er

Monte Carlo (MMK) methods is a group of numerical methods for the study of random processes. The essence of the method is as follows: the process is modeled using a random variable generator.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message #10

Yes, probability is a complicated thing. And poker also works in a peculiar way, especially if you play on different tables and with different opponents each time a new statistic. I read somewhere saying statistics is information that brings income only statistics, and the rest of the people just confused. I personally use a lot of outs number of outs a little fold. And sleep well.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I like how you are keeping track of your message count:)

Yes, probability is a complicated thing. And poker also works in a peculiar way, especially if you play on different tables and with different opponents each time a new statistic. I read somewhere saying statistics is information that brings income only statistics, and the rest of the people just confused. I personally use a lot of outs number of outs a little fold. And sleep well.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator