Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I've had a look through everywhere I think makes sense in the forums, but I don't see anything on HUDs and Tracking Software.

I'm a semi regular recreational player that has made some (very) modest profit over my time playing. I was thinking that some aids might help me improve my game and hopefully move me up a few buy-in levels where I can start making real headway in terms of building a bank roll. However as a micro/low stakes player spending 100's of $$$'s on software or joining a coaching website just seems too much of an investment.

What do you guys use (if anything)?
What difference did it make to your game?
Are their some cheap, but helpful tools out there that I could get without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, if you are serious about online poker, you should be prepared to invest at least a few houndred dollars of your own money to get started. After all other activities like horse riding or golf require much larger investments. So if poker is something, you are going to be spending significant time on, there is nothing wrong with (initially) spending some money as well. Unlike other hobbyes it might eventually turn into a profit, as it has for me.

For me a PT4 license was part of my initial investment, when I started again 2 years ago and decided, that this time I was going to be serious about it. Maybe you dont strictly need PT4 to play 2NL or 5NL, but if you are going to make the investment anyway, why not enjoy the benefits from day one, if you know, poker is going to be more than just a quick flirt for you.

The benefit is the HUD of course. Sure you can do some observations manually, and its easy to spot, if someone randomly go all in two times per orbit and then adjust. You dont need a HUD to identify a maniac, you just need two eyes. But its not so easy to spot, that someone is only 3-betting 2% of the time. So especially against bad nitty regulars the HUD is gold. It help me to not pay them off, when there is no need to, because I have solid proof collected over a huge sample, that they basically never bluff.

The HUD also makes table selection easier. It show, if there are bad players at the table. Those who play way to many hands. The fish, the donkey, the maniac. Whatever you call them. If that is not the case, or they are on your direct left, you sit out and find another table. You can observe this manually as well, but the HUD makes it easier and more objective.

Finally the tracker allow you to analyse your game away from the table. You can look at individual hands, even you played them month ago, and you can share hand histories in a forum like this. Or you can look at general statistics like, how often you C-bet the flop and see, how they compare to those of other winning players.

Or you can check, how you perform with different hand types, from different positions, or in different games. Maybe you lose money at full ring but win at 6-max. Maybe you win with suited aces but lose with baby pairs. All these things are next to impossible to keep track at without using a program like PT4.

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use Poker Copilot. It's like PT4 :)It's really helpful

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think, if you are serious about online poker, you should be prepared to invest at least a few houndred dollars of your own money to get started. After all other activities like horse riding or golf require much larger investments. So if poker is something, you are going to be spending significant time on, there is nothing wrong with (initially) spending some money as well. Unlike other hobbyes it might eventually turn into a profit, as it has for me.

For me a PT4 license was part of my initial investment, when I started again 2 years ago and decided, that this time I was going to be serious about it. Maybe you dont strictly need PT4 to play 2NL or 5NL, but if you are going to make the investment anyway, why not enjoy the benefits from day one, if you know, poker is going to be more than just a quick flirt for you.

The benefit is the HUD of course. Sure you can do some observations manually, and its easy to spot, if someone randomly go all in two times per orbit and then adjust. You dont need a HUD to identify a maniac, you just need two eyes. But its not so easy to spot, that someone is only 3-betting 2% of the time. So especially against bad nitty regulars the HUD is gold. It help me to not pay them off, when there is no need to, because I have solid proof collected over a huge sample, that they basically never bluff.

The HUD also makes table selection easier. It show, if there are bad players at the table. Those who play way to many hands. The fish, the donkey, the maniac. Whatever you call them. If that is not the case, or they are on your direct left, you sit out and find another table. You can observe this manually as well, but the HUD makes it easier and more objective.

Finally the tracker allow you to analyse your game away from the table. You can look at individual hands, even you played them month ago, and you can share hand histories in a forum like this. Or you can look at general statistics like, how often you C-bet the flop and see, how they compare to those of other winning players.

Or you can check, how you perform with different hand types, from different positions, or in different games. Maybe you lose money at full ring but win at 6-max. Maybe you win with suited aces but lose with baby pairs. All these things are next to impossible to keep track at without using a program like PT4.

Thank you for your detailed response. I will look into some options and let you know how I get on. Thanks again!