BB/100 question

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
maybe some odd question.
Lately I played a little session of about 1000 hands 0.02/0.05 and I made a profit of around $10.
For all sake, let's keep it simple and pretend it's exactly 1000 hands with a $10 profit.
Now my tracker indicates my BB/100 is 10.
As the BB is 0.05 shouldn't this be BB/100 is 20 or am I missing something ?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB/100 (notice the capitalized BB as opposed to bb), is a term that originated with limit hold-em (LHE). In NLHE, your big blind (bb) is always the same throughout a hand. In LHE, your bb doubles on the turn and river streets. This is known as BB (for Big Bet iirc). So if you double your $0.05 bb, you'll get a 0.10 BB, hence your tracker's reference to 10 BB/100.

Back in the day, most hold-em played was LHE. As NLHE gained in popularity and LHE declined, the term BB/100 hung around and continues to be used by many trackers. This is why it's actually important to capitalize your abbreviations properly (bb vs BB) just to be sure everyone knows what you're talking about. A lot of newer players that never played LHE assume they're interchangeable, but technically they aren't.

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Official PT4 Representative
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB/100 (notice the capitalized BB as opposed to bb), is a term that originated with limit hold-em (LHE). In NLHE, your big blind (bb) is always the same throughout a hand. In LHE, your bb doubles on the turn and river streets. This is known as BB (for Big Bet iirc). So if you double your $0.05 bb, you'll get a 0.10 BB, hence your tracker's reference to 10 BB/100.

Back in the day, most hold-em played was LHE. As NLHE gained in popularity and LHE declined, the term BB/100 hung around and continues to be used by many trackers. This is why it's actually important to capitalize your abbreviations properly (bb vs BB) just to be sure everyone knows what you're talking about. A lot of newer players that never played LHE assume they're interchangeable, but technically they aren't.

PokerTracker 4 uses Big Blinds and Big Bets interchangeably, our software automatically does the conversion for the end user. When you are playing a limit game we display Big Bets in the HUD, in a big bet game we display Big Blinds. Since we automate this for the user, we no longer use the BB/bb capitalisation - we now use BB for both Big Blinds and also Big Bets. Televised poker and poker media has followed our lead, they mostly use BB to represent Big Blinds now.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerTracker 4 uses Big Blinds and Big Bets interchangeably, our software automatically does the conversion for the end user. When you are playing a limit game we display Big Bets in the HUD, in a big bet game we display Big Blinds. Since we automate this for the user, we no longer use the BB/bb capitalisation - we now use BB for both Big Blinds and also Big Bets. Televised poker and poker media has followed our lead, they mostly use BB to represent Big Blinds now.
That may be the case with PT4, but in a forum conversation that assumption can't be made, nor do I believe it can be made with all other functional trackers. The OP's case in point: assuming he's playing 2c/5c NLHE, if his tracker was intelligently distinguishing between BB and bb, then his BB/100 would equal 20, not 10.

These days, I do tend to assume people mean "big blinds" regardless of how they capitalize BB, simply because NLHE dominates poker discussions and televised poker, and most newer players are largely ignorant of LHE and the concept of Big Bets. But because LHE and the concept of Big Bets are not yet extinct, I believe it's still wise to follow the capitalization convention to indicate what you mean exactly. That's just my nature as a pedant and OCD. It's not quite to the same level of using "set" and "trips" interchangeably (shudder), but it's close in my book. :)

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I didn't know that but now I do =)

Pockets 3's on a 3 6 J flop = set

78on a 7 7 J flop = treeps

=) I knew that ofc was talking about the BB Vs bb

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback....it's clear to me now.....
Really appreciated...