your opinions on 180 Man SNGs?

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heard some stuff about these being very profitable, but the regular speed ones can last up to 4 hours which sounds like alot and I'd rather stick to MTT's where I can win much more, but the turbo ones look decent. Has anyone had any experience with this format?

P

PuckerUpChat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was mentioned in another forum where I play as a very long game but as you said very profitable. I haven't played in one yet as I have problem in a game that long.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually reg speeds are great in terms of ROI but really poor in terms of $/hour. So usually you are better off sacrificing a pretty ROI for $/hour by playing turbos, since you get more rakeback. The downside is they are full of regs so you need to be good to beat them, whereas the reg speeds might have less regs and slightly more fish ratio, but 4 hours to win a 180 man seems like it's just not even worth the time, i think the turbo 180 mans take too long lol.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually reg speeds are great in terms of ROI but really poor in terms of $/hour. So usually you are better off sacrificing a pretty ROI for $/hour by playing turbos, since you get more rakeback. The downside is they are full of regs so you need to be good to beat them, whereas the reg speeds might have less regs and slightly more fish ratio, but 4 hours to win a 180 man seems like it's just not even worth the time, i think the turbo 180 mans take too long lol.
I played a few to get a feel and they some bad players, didn't get more than a few min-cashes because I always ended up with a short-stack in a shove or fold mode, so decided to ask your opinions on them. I'd also think Turbos have more fish because recreational players don't really play 4 hour tourneys all that much.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, they were one of the most profitable games some 3-4 years ago, but the thing is at peak hours, you will see a ton of regs playing these games, this is due to a ton of stables staking players to play these games, So they are still likely profitable, but with more regs becomes less ROI, and with less ROI you will encounter higher variance/swings so you have to be really well rolled to play them, and not get discouraged if you encounter a 100 buyin downswing at some point if you play a lot of volume.

but yes there would be a decent amount of fish in them or they would not be profitable even for the regs.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, they were one of the most profitable games some 3-4 years ago, but the thing is at peak hours, you will see a ton of regs playing these games, this is due to a ton of stables staking players to play these games, So they are still likely profitable, but with more regs becomes less ROI, and with less ROI you will encounter higher variance/swings so you have to be really well rolled to play them, and not get discouraged if you encounter a 100 buyin downswing at some point if you play a lot of volume.

but yes there would be a decent amount of fish in them or they would not be profitable even for the regs.
You have a good point, gonna play some tonight to get a good idea about the player pools.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure just from observation that there are at least 40-50 regs grinding the 2.5$ 180's just based on when one fills and the new one appears during the daytime on the weekends it basically goes from 0 to 28ish without a thought which would make me think table ninja. Then you are likely going to have at least half of that who are regs that register them manually.

As said already by da wizz :), certainly profitable but can be very swingy. I havn't grinded many yet, usually just mix them in with mtt's and negative on them at this point but with maybe only 100 games or so its an lol sample.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have you tried the 90 player sng's? They can last at least a couple hours, sometimes longer. I have not tried the 180 player sng's yet, knowing they can take that much longer to finish...maybe I'll try in the winter months, since I am stuck inside a little more. :)

Good luck whichever you try!

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you tried the 90 player sng's? They can last at least a couple hours, sometimes longer. I have not tried the 180 player sng's yet, knowing they can take that much longer to finish...maybe I'll try in the winter months, since I am stuck inside a little more. :)

Good luck whichever you try!
I haven't, but sounds like I should :)

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heard some stuff about these being very profitable, but the regular speed ones can last up to 4 hours which sounds like alot and I'd rather stick to MTT's where I can win much more, but the turbo ones look decent. Has anyone had any experience with this format?

yes, i have play some 0.50 180 man turbo sng and they can be profitable on the long run however the variance is very high and you should have at least 100bi, however 200 bi will be more optimal in this type of sng. i agree with you that regular 180 sng last too much time so i dont recommend playing those unless you have lot of time and patience to play them.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe there is 180 sng turbo.

If you want less time, you can try 90 and 45 turbo.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little update here, my session ended with me winning the 180 man turbo SNG, the whole game involved basically shoving/folding and stealing when deep-stacked so I realize why it's so popular with regulars because it's all about playing the ranges, knowing when to shove, call, steal and fold. I had a miraculous run throughout the tourney sucking out a number of times, it was a pretty sick heater.

I don't know if I'll be returning to these because of the sheer variance involved and the amount of regs. I think I have a pretty good post-flop decision making and am able to read my opponents well, something I can rarely use in these types of tourneys. Nevertheless these games are fun and exciting to play, anyone looking to improve their shortstack game should definitely look into these.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi
yes but i dont like the 1500 starting chip
in most mtt you have 3000 in the beginning
besides in that kind of format you have to go all in often and get very lucky to win

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very profitable. And IMHO - it's better to spend 3-4 hours and win $100 than play for 8+ hours and, maybe, win the same (check by own experience).
But - people in 180 Man SNG are much more cautious.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very profitable. And IMHO - it's better to spend 3-4 hours and win $100 than play for 8+ hours and, maybe, win the same (check by own experience).
But - people in 180 Man SNG are much more cautious.
8+ hours and you have a chance to win thousands of dollars, here you're hoping to win $100 at best, it's annoying to say the least when you play a Sit n Go for 4 hours and win $5 or $10.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8+ hours and you have a chance to win thousands of dollars, here you're hoping to win $100 at best, it's annoying to say the least when you play a Sit n Go for 4 hours and win $5 or $10.

Let be honest, this chance is much less - and you should be very-very-very patient ;)
But of course spending hours for winning $5-10 is super annoying (

pricechoppin

pricechoppin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to play these all the time about a year ago... I basically stuck to sngs and the 180 seaters were just perfect.. I found them to go faster then it sounded but always played the turbo.. I took several hundreds off pokerstars from these games and then I went on a downswing and gave them up.. Just recently I started to try them again but have not had any luck at alll...

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let be honest, this chance is much less - and you should be very-very-very patient ;)
But of course spending hours for winning $5-10 is super annoying (
Very true :)

Gonna try playing some 9-man Turbo SNGs today, I remember enjoying playing those.

R

RandyMarsh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them on occasion but they can last a long time. MTT are more valuable to me