Can you win a tourney without luck?

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might say something that sounds mean but it not intended to be. So be nice on responding.

I only been playing the ACR free rolls since they returned. This weekend was the most played free rolls other than the daily ones. I'm finding it difficult finishing. I have the one winner take all and a few in the money but not really happy with the outcomes.

These bigger prize tourneys i really just focused on the tables and nothing else. No multi tasking nothing. I find after about 15 minutes i have most of you pegged at the table. Your ranges and pretty much your betting habits. A few of you know because I'm the thorn in your butt after about 15 minutes. I chip away and seem to get moved to another table after a nice hand is won. Then i start all over again unless i have notes from past games.

This might be one of my problems. I find most the play on these free rolls very soft. I seem to chip up nicely then make a great call almost perfect in your range usually post flop. Only to get rivered ever so often. And the sets, I missed every mining of them today but one. That ended up being second best of a three way of sets. Flop landed set for three and my kings. Pocket aces pushed and of coarse we all followed only to have a ace hit the river. That's not bad luck that's insane. And it usually comes in threes. Then I'm 10 bb or less and in push or fold mode only to get beat by the dumbest hands. Like my a,k suited went all in and always one player who calls and has like today q,5 off. Hits his five on the river. Happens all the time. Are they lucky or am i unlucky?

The point of this was how can you play on point and not say that luck isn't more important than skill in a tourney. Long run skill may out last but sure seems to kicking my butt. it be different if i was out played or made a bad decision and it cost me. This is flat out thank god somehow i won stuff that seems a bit habitual. No this isn't a bad beat rant. Can you win a tourney without luck prevailing? Am i truly a unluc

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the sets, I missed every mining of them today but one. That ended up being second best of a three way of sets. Flop landed set for three and my kings. Pocket aces pushed and of coarse we all followed only to have a ace hit the river. That's not bad luck that's insane. And it usually comes in threes.

Isn't that the glitch you were talking about yesterday? How come you didn't exploit the glitch?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to win a tournament lucky is a requisit, without lucky skills don't last, but you can reach the ITM

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't that the glitch you were talking about yesterday? How come you didn't exploit the glitch?

Do you even read what i write? Possibly cant follow. I didn't have the worst hand and i made the initial bet and happen to have pocket threes in the hand with pocket aces. They just called the 15bb bet. No one was all in till post flop. Good poker player gets this. Just ended up being what it is. I said the situation had to be in order. Third person all in with worst hand. Cant deviate. Now you know next time you see it you can say that rigtard was right. You don't have to be in it to see it unfold.

What was your professional(snicker) opinion on winning a tourney without luck? You seem so in tuned on poker. I'm sure sharkscope could verify your very presence online. We could build idles off based off your profitable experiences. I guess its time . .Nothing on you zinzir1 or 2. Do you even play poker or is trolling just a hobby.

Last edited:
D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is a big part of poker, although some players want to believe that in poker, earn only those who study daily, those who know about numbers, bla bla bla, would have you believe that poker is almost like ajederez, but I have seen many players who have little time playing poker and win a tournament, just got lucky that day.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think it depends what you mean by luck, in poker you are going to lose a ton. For instance if you play a tournament where 200 players entry the tournament, probably you will only win it one time every 200 times you play if everyone is equally skilled. And if 33 players are getting pay, than on average you will get pay 1 in 6 times. So that just tells you that you will be losing a tone of tournaments, so don’t be upset by losing a couple of tournaments, specially when you know you didn’t make a mistake, just keep grinding and play the next tournament.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you even read what i write? Possibly cant follow. I didn't have the worst hand and i made the initial bet and happen to have pocket threes in the hand with pocket aces. They just called the 15bb bet. No one was all in till post flop. Good poker player gets this. Just ended up being what it is. I said the situation had to be in order. Third person all in with worst hand. Cant deviate. Now you know next time you see it you can say that rigtard was right. You don't have to be in it to see it unfold.

What was your professional(snicker) opinion on winning a tourney without luck? You seem so in tuned on poker. I'm sure sharkscope could verify your very presence online. We could build idles off based off your profitable experiences. I guess its time . .Nothing on you zinzir1 or 2. Do you even play poker or is trolling just a hobby.

Haha, my "professional(snicker) opinion". I am actually flattered you have wasted your sharkscope searches on me :). When did I ever say I was a good player? This is a forum where members, not experts, post their thoughts and ideas, so credentials are not required.

Also, it makes no sense to call people who don't agree with your ideas at the poker table, as taking their money would not prove you right, just as losing would not prove you wrong. It simply is a childish behavior not worth of a senior gentleman like yourself. Besides, you don't need my stamp of approval for the way you think, why should you?

We should still have a civilized conversation even though we have different opinions about the subject in discussion.

PS: I tried to return your favor, and searched for you on sharkscope, didn't find anything on can-you-see-me or bigpappa or bigpappa325 :). Not that it made any difference, but I was curious to witness how great you are...

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agreed that there is a lot of luck in tournaments - playing well will only get you so far. Over the course of a big MTT you are a favorite to lose a big flip or lose an 80/20 and get crippled and eliminated.

The reason tournaments are so profitable is that the better players make more deep runs by consistently getting their chips in good, picking up chips without showdowns, and attacking people who play too tight.

You have to know what to do when everything goes well and take advantage when you finally do get lucky and win the big pots.

Better luck in the next one! :D

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you win, you say it is a skill. When you lose, it is the variance or decline. Winning a coin in key hands is perhaps the most important thing. Beating all possible situations, you understand that even if you play better and you have a better hand, sometimes the case decides everything. Sometimes the Opponent can call your AA with garbage and you will end the tournament or give him a stack if this is a cash game and this will not give in to logic, he just decided to play like that and that’s it.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I believe that without luck there is no game ! bluffing or raising rates in risk ! Without risk there is no victory ! Without luck in risk there is no victory !

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To make top 2 or 3 I believe luck is a huge factor I know because I beat better poker players than myself all the time simply because my cards fall and there's doesn't. I consider that to be luck. On the contrary I don't think i'd been there in first place to be able to catch better cards at ft if I wasn't somewhat skilled myself.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Getting plenty premiums is lucky if you get AA twice in less than 221 hands you are lucky.

Also winning a race is lucky, inevitably mtt will come down to flip so no way to win anything without a bit of luck.

The skill comes in what you do once are on the right side of the coin. Making use of your luck on the day is the real skill.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you got to win some lucky hands to win tournaments.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha, my "professional(snicker) opinion". I am actually flattered you have wasted your sharkscope searches on me :). When did I ever say I was a good player? This is a forum where members, not experts, post their thoughts and ideas, so credentials are not required.

Also, it makes no sense to call people who don't agree with your ideas at the poker table, as taking their money would not prove you right, just as losing would not prove you wrong. It simply is a childish behavior not worth of a senior gentleman like yourself. Besides, you don't need my stamp of approval for the way you think, why should you?

We should still have a civilized conversation even though we have different opinions about the subject in discussion.

PS: I tried to return your favor, and searched for you on sharkscope, didn't find anything on can-you-see-me or bigpappa or bigpappa325 :). Not that it made any difference, but I was curious to witness how great you are...

I thought we were keeping it civilized. If you took it otherwise i must of misspoken.

I have had a few accounts that have been banned due to little experiments on the tables. I have a thread on that. I opened ACR account in my name so i could play in the free rolls. Tammy said i couldn't use accounts in other peoples name. So can-you-see-me is to new to register on sharkescope. I get unlimited searches there so no worries.

Im an old coon, complain here because really no other place too. A lot of others do too. Advice given usually warrants success. i mean would you listen to me or the WPT champion. Only success i have ever mention is my live play. I started online a few years ago. Had a backer (friend) who wanted me to try online. For convenience and possible ending the 45 minute trip to the card house sounded good. It wasn't going to cost me anything so why not. after 6 months the honeymoon stage was gone and online wasn't proving to be as profitable as it should. I started questioning things and me and the friend went separate ways. Never mix friendship with business.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the entrants, but if you Play a Tournament with 1.000+ you Need luck to win it. you can't win it just because you are better than everyone else because your Aces still have a 20% Chance to lose.

you Need skill for a Deep run and luck to win it

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter how great player you are, you will never win a without luck.Poker and luck is a synonym:beer:

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you have to be lucky: you have to connect your hands from time to time on the flop, and also be lucky that your opponent has a good hand when you have the nuts to get value. But if you have the nuts and they hit you on the river there is nothing to do, damn variance. Anyway I always hear professionals talk about "decisions of little variance or much." If you go all-in preflop with hands that are not pocket aces or kings, you are taking the path of much variance. I don't like this option and I avoid it at all costs. I have no problem in fold AK so as not to risk my life in the tournament. But some members of this forum with a great career say it is better to take a quick risk or waste and spend their time in another tournament.

As an anecdote, a few weeks ago I had a run of bad luck in the club tournament. . The highest pair I had was 55 and I couldn't play it, and two aces 9+. I managed to get into the money but with few blinds. Luck is definitely an important. But someone in the forum has a signature that I love. He says: "Luck moves around the table, the skill sits in the same place."
I hope your luck improves and you can make some good runs!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no if the variance is against you. it's impossible to win on a tournament. even if you play a game of reduced variance. you will be required to play flip at certain times of the game. luck counts for 20% at the beginning of the game but at the end of the game this percentage goes up to 60%.

Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since online tourneys have alot of "bingo" goin on, you do need luck with cards that are given to you as well as strategy.

Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think it depends what you mean by luck, in poker you are going to lose a ton. For instance if you play a tournament where 200 players entry the tournament, probably you will only win it one time every 200 times you play if everyone is equally skilled. And if 33 players are getting pay, than on average you will get pay 1 in 6 times. So that just tells you that you will be losing a tone of tournaments, so don’t be upset by losing a couple of tournaments, specially when you know you didn’t make a mistake, just keep grinding and play the next tournament.

I agree.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you have to be lucky: you have to connect your hands from time to time on the flop, and also be lucky that your opponent has a good hand when you have the nuts to get value. But if you have the nuts and they hit you on the river there is nothing to do, damn variance. Anyway I always hear professionals talk about "decisions of little variance or much." If you go all-in preflop with hands that are not pocket aces or kings, you are taking the path of much variance. I don't like this option and I avoid it at all costs. I have no problem in fold AK so as not to risk my life in the tournament. But some members of this forum with a great career say it is better to take a quick risk or waste and spend their time in another tournament.

As an anecdote, a few weeks ago I had a run of bad luck in the club tournament. . The highest pair I had was 55 and I couldn't play it, and two aces 9+. I managed to get into the money but with few blinds. Luck is definitely an important. But someone in the forum has a signature that I love. He says: "Luck moves around the table, the skill sits in the same place."
I hope your luck improves and you can make some good runs!

I saw you finished late in this weekend tourney. Only hand ill go all in pre flop is kings or better until final tables. Really a post flop kind of guy. Really crazy how spot on i have become on reads and putting cards in their hand. People don't realize how much info a bet gives. Most my chips are put in after flop situations. To me anything sooner than a flop is just gambling. I'm loosing way to many in this situation. i don't think I'm invincible at this point. But i should be winning more than half of these. Really disappointed with the flip ratio. But flips are just gambling. Everything has to be just right and usually i have to be the one pushing it.

Ill see you guys tonight at the free roll. Member Mondays and Wednesdays i have to pick up my son from school. So i have to be aggressive the first thirty minutes to hold over when i leave for a half hour to get my son. I hate this but twice i have chipped out if i wait until i get home with my son. TAKES the enjoyment out, rushing.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heres a tough one i took in Sundays 5k. finished 44th but he went on to finish 6th. Wouldnt be so bad if he had 2 outs like i did when i hit my 10 but a literal one outer

And Zinzir i think you was the one who put the first jab out on this thread from another thread that you 2 had words on. So if you expect him to keep it civil then you should as well

Btw im abwil2 on ACR Achiphunter on Bet online. and ACR during there upgrading it doesnt have my $1004 4th place winnings or my 100 something win on sharkscope dont know why but even without it im still a +65 ROI and i comnplain alot about bad beats and sites being rigged for max action LOL

Attachments

• tough beat.jpg
    tough beat.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 87
B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heres a tough one i took in Sundays 5k. finished 44th but he went on to finish 6th. Wouldnt be so bad if he had 2 outs like i did when i hit my 10 but a literal one outer

And Zinzir i think you was the one who put the first jab out on this thread from another thread that you 2 had words on. So if you expect him to keep it civil then you should as well

Btw im abwil2 on ACR Achiphunter on Bet online. and ACR during there upgrading it doesnt have my $1004 4th place winnings or my 100 something win on sharkscope dont know why but even without it im still a +65 ROI and i comnplain alot about bad beats and sites being rigged for max action LOL

ya i gave you props on that your one outer was a bigger beat than my two outer. If no one folded ace rag out of position. How many times can you say three sets on one board with no pairs on the board. Thats designed to get everybody all in. Flop set of kings on the driest board ever. A poker god couldn't of walked away post flop. good game tho you cashed. My ROI is only +45 so you might be a better player than i am. I would of said better luck but i don't know. you playing in tonight's free roll?

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah at ACR? ill be there tonight. Good luck on the tables

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's possible to win any game of chance without some help from luck. Even if you play the game exactly the way it's supposed to be played it doesn't mean that you automatically win, and if you play the game badly it doesn't mean that you automatically lose, luck is always looming around the corner waiting to make fools out of all of us.