Can you win a tournament without any skill?

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to know if you can win any tournament just by being lucky, including freerolls and every other tournament.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just want to know if you can win any tournament just by being lucky, including freerolls and every other tournament.

In theory, yes.

You would have to make some correct moves most likely, unless its a 9-45 man sng, you could most likely win pure luck.

Even bigger MTTs people can get lucky numerous times. Generally though, you will have to be doing something right atleast a little bit, unless you are running like god.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to define what luck is to begin with. Luck is many different things in poker.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely yes, but it may not happen, because variance is unpredictable in the short run.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's possible to make a lot of the right moves without really understanding why they are correct, so of course you can win a tournament with minimal skill. I have seen people at the final table who got there purely on aggression. I have also seen tight players get to the final table by catching the right cards at the right time. Both were inherently lucky along the way.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, on live poker I was present in a tournament that the guy who won didn't know anything about poker theory, just how to play the game.

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone can win any tournament without any skills. If you will always have great card and win in all-in you'll take first place in the tournament. But there is too small chances of it. More distance you play more skill you need. In several thoursand tournament high scill players will win much more than any lucker.

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think a player can win such a big MTT, but it can go a long way even get to ITM in the tournament. Many players play like fish in micro limits and can win a lot of chips early in the tournament but not enough to win the tournament

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey , I'm living proof .Yes you can. :)

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the better question is "how often do the most skilled players make the final table"

Say you need 6 critical all in hands to hold out as an average 60/40 favourite:

0.60^6 = 4.67%

So in a large field MTT where you need 6 big holds to make the FT and your edge is huge (and 60/40 is huge), you still won't make it 19 times out of 20.

That's why sane people don't grind MTTs

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To win needs psycology, maths and luck. If you do not care about your psycologcal health it is a huge problem. If you do not pay attention to the maths of the game it is another huge problem. If you try to base the game only to luck it is very difficult to make any progress.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep. Probs only once every 100 tourneys though.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I usally like to play freerolls and private tournament,I won party 250 long time a go and in 888 I was 3 pleace,it is possibble....

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think luck would not last long at long time tourneys.

Though if you know few strategies couple it with much luck at that time, you can really go deep.

Even if you have advantage on skills among others but luck is not on your side at that time, it would not click.

So, luck and skills bond together for us to win tourneys.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no skill and have won quite a few tournaments so the answer is a definite yes.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
dumbdonut said:
Can you win a tournament without any skill?

Yes, they are called all in flip tournaments.

:top:

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
you can win but you need luck good players win because of their skils and win more times ...

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no....because without any skill means you don't even know the rules of the game.....

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no....because without any skill means you don't even know the rules of the game.....

LOL... Yes this is the best answer

Poker is a blend of skill and luck... Luck alone ? Impossible... Certainly there will be occasions where you have more luck than on average and achieve good results or wins but you have to have some limited ability to utilize such luck...

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can win some hands , but fortunately I do not believe a tournament you reach ITM

E

Elena81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's impossible. Only if you big lucker.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to say you can't beat 700-800 people with ONLY Luck. I mean are you saying just shove every hand?

That said, I don't think you can WIN (1st) without SOME luck. Poker takes both. Your skill will in crease how far you get and how often you cash by a bunch though.