Can you make a reliable profit with Spin & Gos?

T

tealurker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if a (pokerstars) Spin & Go is still considered a 'tournament' or SNG, but have any of you experience with grinding Spin & Gos or otherwise just good insights?

I'm wondering if it is possible to turn a profit with them, reliably like with cash games/tournaments, or is the tempo is so high (or payout so bad) that it is just gambling?

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if a (Pokerstars) Spin & Go is still considered a 'tournament' or SNG, but have any of you experience with grinding Spin & Gos or otherwise just good insights?

I'm wondering if it is possible to turn a profit with them, reliably like with cash games/tournaments, or is the tempo is so high (or payout so bad) that it is just gambling?

You can definitely make a profit on them and achieve things like 5% ROI - if you're interested in hearing more about the format, I can suggest a couple of resources.

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can make a reliable profit from them personally, there's a lot of variance in poker especially when you speed it up and when you think you should win, ie put the most concentration in, is when the multiplier is higher! Your opponents will obviously be putting more effort into these spin and gos as well, which means they'll be harder to win!
So you'll need to put full concentration in even when it only doubles but then you also have to win more than 50% of the time!
I'm not saying your not going to win the higher multiplier spins, you definitely will win some I'm just saying that when it only doubles you'll have to concentrate just as hard!

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play microstakes and I find it easier to make money in the spin and gos than in cash games. There seem to be more weak players that go all in with poor hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a format where variance is very important and greatly influences your results. the more you buy-in, the more experienced and hard to beat your opponents will be. for players who have trained on MTT. it is advisable to play on the spin and go rather than play on a cash game. because this format is quite close to the one they are used to playing. you can make a profit except when variance is not on your side. which is generally the case.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am too unlucky in this discipline, for 2000 tournaments I did not even get one x100. Therefore, I gave up this discipline. But surely there are regulars who are a plus.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having heard from a full time Spin professional, they were saying this:

"At the $5s I would want an ROI between 5%-10%
At the $25s I would want an ROI between 5%-7%
At the $100s I would be really happy with an ROI between 3%-5%"

Bear in mind though that it requires high volume to reliably know your ROI (2000+ games)

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can definietely make profit in the long run. There is a lot of spin and go regs out there. Problem is that variance is very high in this format, you can't let tilt get control over you and realize that you can keep lossing even if you play good. Also if you play for a long time and you are midly succesfull, there is always a chance of hitting that very high multipliyer or even jacpot that will make you profitable.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can make a profit in Spins or Jackpot SNG's but there are a lot of considerations to take into account:

- Do you have the right mindset to play? What I mean is - you can go through downswings that appear to accelerate because of the speed of these games.
- Do you have the bankroll to play? Typically you need more buy-ins to play spins because of the variance. I've heard recommendations as high as 200BI for a given buy-in level which most people don't follow but you definitely need to be funded to play these
- Do you have the capacity to play the volume? These games are pure volume plays to hit your ROI simply because of the multipliers involved. Luck comes into play too - you have to win 3X or higher at a decent rate and not kill it at the 2X prizes

To get a 5% ROI on volume at $5 spins consider the math:
Let's say you play 350 spins
- Your buy-ins are $1750
- You need to win $1837
On 350 spins you'd expect to see
- 163 $10 spins
- 155 $15 spins
- 30 $25 spins
- 2 $40 spins

To hit your profit of $1837 or 5% ROI you need to win 38.35% of all spins, assuming you maintain the same win rate across all multipliers. That's above the expected 33.3% but if your skill is marginally better than your opponents you definitely can make that work. To get to 10% ROI though your win rate needs to be over 40% so if you trend in that way you can stand to make a sizeable profit at these.

Of course, the other way to do it is to hit a jackpot multiplier and win that lone spin but not everyone sees those, let alone wins those.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi it can be said that yes it is reliable if you are a good card reader and a good player. Go in faith.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
With spin $ go you can win but not like winning a tournament. In my opinion I can relate the spin to the cash game because you can control your win / loss better. It should also be taken into account that in a tournament you face at least +500 players, however the spin is only 3 at the table

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More all ins = more profit
Best game ever.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can grind out a profit. Even if you are winning half of the sit n gos, you are still turning a profit

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is a brutal format like every other hyper SNG format , I guess yes you can but you may have a super strict bankroll manager in order to absorb those swings.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Experience of course there is, but it is important what experience) I think spin&go is fun to get a big multiplication, but over a long distance, I'm not sure it's a good idea.. I'll say it's a cash game (I don't like it), but it's more appealing than spin&go ;) If you are good at increasing your bankroll in a cash game, do not look for something better. Don't try to cover all the games. Of course, play a few times in a couple of days spin&go, spin the luck drum, it's not bad), especially when there is an opportunity to win tickets or a big Bank of 1 million Lol ;) I will say that this is a game and entertainment, and the attitude to poker is very small ;) good luck ;)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tried spin and go's. One thing is for sure. Making a reliable profit is not sustainable. Really difficult since its a inconsistent game.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
every time I make a bit of cash using the Spin and Go I end up losing it almost as fast. It is just a money pit.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't find this format profitable. Although this is just my personal opinion. And someone is building their entire strategy of working with bankroll on this discipline

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you can be profitable in this poker discipline, but you have to take into account the very high variance compared to other poker disciplines !!! As far as I remember, to smooth the variance, you need a bankroll of about 300bb per level !!!

Regie19

Regie19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This IS interesing Also for me.how IS IT?;)