WTF is "My range?"

J

jeffdevo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I'm very frustrated because I have yet to find a proper, specific definition of what "my range" means. I've bought several training programs and I don't comprehend how Equilab's range of my hand relates to the two hands that I'm dealt. I'm dealt two cards. It seems that my range is those two cards. Does "my range" mean the other players perception of what my range of cards could be? And if that is the case, why not use those words in that context? Because that is not how it's presented. It's always presented as, "...my range of hands." Fundamentally, and this is what I'm hoping to learn, why does it matter what Equilab says about my range? I must be missing something because I know my position. I know my opponent's position. I know they know that we both know each other's position. I know they know what range of hands I could bet at that position. I know what their range is should they call or raise. So, what am I missing about my range?
Thank you.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I'm very frustrated because I have yet to find a proper, specific definition of what "my range" means. I've bought several training programs and I don't comprehend how Equilab's range of my hand relates to the two hands that I'm dealt. I'm dealt two cards. It seems that my range is those two cards. Does "my range" mean the other players perception of what my range of cards could be? And if that is the case, why not use those words in that context? Because that is not how it's presented. It's always presented as, "...my range of hands." Fundamentally, and this is what I'm hoping to learn, why does it matter what Equilab says about my range? I must be missing something because I know my position. I know my opponent's position. I know they know that we both know each other's position. I know they know what range of hands I could bet at that position. I know what their range is should they call or raise. So, what am I missing about my range?
Thank you.

Thank U 4 Posting.

When "My Range" is used it does relate to what our villains perceive our cards to be but also the simple fact that we would play many 2 card combinations exactly the same way in certain situations.

For example folded to you on the button you raise. BB Calls.

What would you raise on the button?

Example: AA-22 AK-A10 A5-A2 KQ-K9 etc. etc. etc.
That is "My Range" for raising from the button.

Then the flop comes 962 rainbow BB checks we bet.

What is your new "My Range" for betting?

Example: we could check 99 66 22 AA

So we would play those 4 hands identically on the flop so we consider those hands as "MY Range" for checking.

This is of course a simplistic example.

One of the values of "My Range" is that we can start grouping sets of hands together so we do not have to think about what are we going to do with each 2 card combo after we see the flop.

Then because we know our checking ranges and betting ranges we can focus on our villain's ranges instead of our own. Then we can decide if we add or subtract hands from our betting or checking ranges.

Again this is a simplified example.

Using "My Range" helps when we are in bluffing situations. If we know that we have many strong AK hands in our range we can then easily represent that Axx flop or xxxA turn. Even if we have 56s.

If however we played the 56s like 56s not how we would play strong AK hands then we cannot represent it as effectively when it comes xxxA.

Example
MP raises- we 3 bet 56s on the button -Mp calls now we know we have AK in "My Range" because we added 56s to our AK range by 3 betting it just like we would do with AK.
So when we get that xxxA turn we know we could be bluffing our 56s more frequently because we have AK in "My Range"

Hope this helps

:):)

Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In simple words it means: the combos of hands your opponent puts you, based on your pre flop and post flop actions and that because poker is a game of incomplete information!

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your range is certainly based on game theory/ your stats + situation. Best consistent players utilize "your range" to take your chippies like candy from a baby.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What cards are you prepared to play? What cards have you played already and shown? C-bet and won a hand on? What have you been representing along the streets.
Always pictures? Aces?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Range without a large distance does not mean anything, you must have played at least about 40,000 hands in order to more or less correctly determined the range, it is seen by your opponents. The more hands you have played the more accurate indicators will be seen, how often you play hands and from what position, how often you raise or re-raise, how often you call all-in or put all-in, on different streets, these indicators will be different. Then you compare these indicators with your profit, see where you lost and where you won, find and correct mistakes in your game.

J

jeffdevo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm hoping one day soon this will click because right now, I'm more confused than before. Sincerely, thank you for your time.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm hoping one day soon this will click because right now, I'm more confused than before. Sincerely, thank you for your time.

Thank you.

Hi Jeff,

Perhaps I will only confuse you further. But I will try to simplify things if I can.

Firstly don't feel alarmed if you don't get "range" right away, because I think it is the most difficult thing to come to terms with in poker.

Imagine you are scared of sharp objects. Perhaps you fell on some scissors as a kid and ever since are scared of pointy things.

So much so that when it comes to the game of Rock/Scissor/Paper that you never play scissors, for the very reason that you are scared shitless of them.

Perhaps nobody knows this about you.

After playing against you for a good 100 or so hands, I realize that you only play "rock" and "paper."

For whatever reason, and the reason doesn't quite matter at this point, your "range" consists of 100% (rock or paper).

I know with one-hundred-percent certainty that your throw will be either rock or paper, and never scissor.

Your range consists of (rock-paper).

In poker this would be akin to assigning you a "top 10%" range, per se. So that might be AK/AQ/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT/AJ all the suited and off-suit variations just as a rough example.

Over a large enough sample, one's "range" can be gathered through data, so that perhaps a 3rd party observer (by looking at HUD stats) might know more about how you play than you do yourself.

Do you know your own RFI/VPIP stats for each position?

If you don't know, your opponent is already winning.

You must know yourself as a player before you can start beating your opponents.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

When "My Range" is used it does relate to what our villains perceive our cards to be but also the simple fact that we would play many 2 card combinations exactly the same way in certain situations.

For example folded to you on the button you raise. BB Calls.

What would you raise on the button?

Example: AA-22 AK-A10 A5-A2 KQ-K9 etc. etc. etc.
That is "My Range" for raising from the button.

Then the flop comes 962 rainbow BB checks we bet.

What is your new "My Range" for betting?

Example: we could check 99 66 22 AA

So we would play those 4 hands identically on the flop so we consider those hands as "MY Range" for checking.

This is of course a simplistic example.

One of the values of "My Range" is that we can start grouping sets of hands together so we do not have to think about what are we going to do with each 2 card combo after we see the flop.

Then because we know our checking ranges and betting ranges we can focus on our villain's ranges instead of our own. Then we can decide if we add or subtract hands from our betting or checking ranges.

Again this is a simplified example.

Using "My Range" helps when we are in bluffing situations. If we know that we have many strong AK hands in our range we can then easily represent that Axx flop or xxxA turn. Even if we have 56s.

If however we played the 56s like 56s not how we would play strong AK hands then we cannot represent it as effectively when it comes xxxA.

Example
MP raises- we 3 bet 56s on the button -Mp calls now we know we have AK in "My Range" because we added 56s to our AK range by 3 betting it just like we would do with AK.
So when we get that xxxA turn we know we could be bluffing our 56s more frequently because we have AK in "My Range"

Hope this helps

:):)

Excellent explanation:beerglass
Your range also changes on each street. Be it a betting range, checking, calling or bluffing range.
With your perceived range you may be trying represent strength where you have none, or weakness when your hand is strong.
You are either trying to dissuade the Villain from betting, or encouraging them to bet against your hidden strength.
We want the Villain to look at the flop and make an incorrect decision after deciding what you are holding.

Last edited:
Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you can not link to other sites. Look for yourself and read how the professionals make out his hand. How do they describe the first opponent, then they write thanks to the knowledge the opponent, it rates as well as his call know what his hand. This will give you an accurate understanding of what is the range of hands. In my case, it was just like you. But everything became clear