Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played:

888Poker MegaDeep Sat(215$) Payout: 40 Seats

All fold

Hero: AA on BTN -> raise 2BB (800) to get Value

Opponent: K5o on BB -> Call (both around 8k left)

Flop: K78 rainbow

Opponent: check

Hero: raise Potsize (2000)

Opponent: call

Turn: 9

Hero: All-in

Opponent: Call

River: 6

Its the secound time that i lose on this case. So maybe i did something wrong

What do you guys thought about the plays in this case?

I will be happy about every answer. :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did everything right. In this hand you just got unlucky. But in general, it is worth considering that the opponent may have pocket pairs 77 or 88.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very likely this is not the best answer, but I recognize your play.
I guess your all-in on the turn with 789 was probably recognised as a likely bluff that but put you at risk.
It's the time of more and more agressive play, but on this board it's too risky.
With all in and only best pair you'll see a lot of 'bad beats'.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on Party poker1.1 dollar rebay 5 min blinds,frst pozition with 100BBs goes 2.5x,cut call and button calls bouth have 60 bbs,i go all in with 40bbs,big blind with 200bbs call with 109offsuite,and first pozittion call,cut off and button folds,we lost from 109offsuit bouth,i go all in because ia have very bad player on big blind because he call everything,i lose but i think i played good AA....

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think pre-flop raise was too small, but it is just a bad luck

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You wanted to get value, so you price lesser hands in, as they say, careful what you wish for.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the only thing that beat you was he got lucky but thats poker take the good with the bad.

strugglezhope

strugglezhope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinions and thoughts

It was no “badbeat”, but I saw just less option´s and no really “right” one.

My opinion about possible actions:
Preflop:
- Sure, increase the preflop-bet, but then I will get 0 value.
it is an option, but for this case I would do it again. (maybe increase to 2,3BB)
Flop:
I think I did it well.
The plan was for the case, if he has something with a straigtdraw to let him pay high or prevent the dangers.
All-in:
I haven’t really thought about it, because I did a value bet and don’t want to lose value by myself, maybe would be better on an opponent like him.

Turn:
Check:
I thought, that I don’t want to show him, weakness because scared to Straight and want to realize fold-equity for the (now better) straight draw, because to pay with the tournament for a draw is no good deal. (+ I “should” beat every K.)
- check-back
if I do, I will give him the draw to the straight or K for free .
- lesser Bet:
Maybe the best option, but the same problem of showing weakness after potsize-bet.
and he don’t should give him the rivercard for a straight.
I´m sure there are something to fix, but I see no real “right-decision”.
Do you guys think, he played it well?
in my opinion that he did crazy calls for a hand, that has a not so high-equity on the flop.
I think I would fold on every of my bets, if i´m on his place.
Because he had to pay with the whole tournament for just a bad Top-pair and a not really well draw´s.
In a midphase with actually playable stacksize, but maybe i´m wrong?
I´m really interested on your every opinion and answer, it will help me. :D

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, it was a bedbeat for sure. You were way ahead, and he just caught his magic card on the river. Don't overthink about this hand too much. Don't lose your sleep thinking 'bout this hand :D.
The only thing I can't agree with is your bet-sizing on the flop. Why did you make it pot size on K78r? You need to get value, not to scare him off, right? I wouldn't do a pot-sized bet there if I don't have any specific read on my opponent.
Your opponent seems to be a calling station, doesn't he? If so, and you have this read on him, it's all right. You could even move all-in on the flop, he'd call you.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played well for my hand, but I think it should have gone up to 2,5BB, then betting were perfect, but the opponent when you went all in, the pair of KK, which had more the possibility stairs, then gambled If you calculate the move the opponent tube quite lucky. regards

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was your opponent, I would have done the exact same thing unless you push harder.

PUSH HARDER;
1) I fold if I have K5, not having any idea I'm about to get a runner runner straight draw and I know my kicker on the Kings is too weak to call you.
2) Even if I had KA, you got me to call and still have the better hand with me thinking I have a better pair of Kings.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played:

All fold

Missing information in this post.... Did you have any live reads on players at the table? Sounds like you need to adjust your open for this table dynamic... As played it's fine..

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think that you played badly as such, suddenly it's more overconfidence, we all fall into that, you just had a bit of bad luck I guess

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played:

All fold

just unlucky big favourite on turn but lately when I play AA just jam it in there preflop as after flop your odds have changed big time.
Feel your pain happens to us all:)
Example here if I go all in preflop chances are I win instead I let myself get gorilla handled lol:)
At the least jam all in first on flop put opponent on decision.
https://www.boomplayer.com/en/28165929_237BAD3407

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just unlucky big favourite on turn but lately when I play AA just jam it in there preflop as after flop your odds have changed big time.
Example here if I go all in preflop chances are I win instead I let myself get gorilla handled lol:)

This is also not a good idea. No reason to "just jam it in there preflop" unless you are 20bb or under.... and even then you can still get value without jamming on most tables. AA is a value hand. Playing this way will cost you money in the long run.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is also not a good idea. No reason to "just jam it in there preflop" unless you are 20bb or under.... and even then you can still get value without jamming on most tables. AA is a value hand. Playing this way will cost you money in the long run.
still think jam flop give opponent an opportunity to fold take away their odds better than letting them have free or cheap cards.:D

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
still think jam flop give opponent an opportunity to fold take away their odds better than letting them have free or cheap cards.:D

I understand your logic, but what I am saying is it's not an every time thing, as I tried to imply in my last message. This game in order to make the right decision has to be thought about in case by case situations because what will be the right choice in one hand will be the wrong choice in another.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the least jam all in first on flop put opponent on decision.

I watch your replay. It really is frustrating when you get aces cracked by a hand that would not have called a larger raise. It has happened to me many times.. I thought to be sneaky with aces min-raise and try to get more action, but sometimes this backfires :(. We always expect to win with our aces, and when we lose to garbage hand, it hurts even more.

May you have better luck at your next run. It is my goal to one day have bankroll to play in Sunday Million. I have a long way to go but hopefully one day I will have the opportunity. :D

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch your replay. It really is frustrating when you get aces cracked by a hand that would not have called a larger raise. It has happened to me many times.. I thought to be sneaky with aces min-raise and try to get more action, but sometimes this backfires :(. We always expect to win with our aces, and when we lose to garbage hand, it hurts even more.

May you have better luck at your next run. It is my goal to one day have bankroll to play in Sunday Million. I have a long way to go but hopefully one day I will have the opportunity. :D
Try the satelites the last 8 big $215 games I played 7 were from satellite wins
When I do well in tournaments lot of times crack aces because opponents make it to cheap to set mine or straight and flush draw and fail to protect their hand good luck:)

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right, but the river as always

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think you played badly, I would have bet a little more prefolp, but it just seems like that case of bad luck

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So much of poker is situational. You could make an argument for going all in on the flop but they probably call anyway, or a bigger raise preflop which k 5 may not have called. But really it depends on how loose the player is, whether or not you tow had prior hand history and they were shooting at you. I think you did fine and got unlucky but moods change plays often. In that spot I've raised more preflop, in that spot I've done exactly the same.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop aces are played more aggressively to run hands like K-5 since they are very trashy hands:icon_smur

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that k 5 got in the hand tells me perhaps the raise was a bit too small. I usually go all in preflop with aces. Only race worthy hands generally call all in. I doubt k 5 would call all in preflop. Someone with another pocket pair or ak or aq would probably call in which case you would be the clear favorite.

TheGiantAsian

TheGiantAsian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see nothing wrong except the variance troll slapping you at the end. maybe bigger open pf? but you want the action...