Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Would you fold this AK? Player played in a few hands and always sang his hand in the chat and sent many messages in the chat but always ended up giving up. I had no opportunity to see what hand he held because he ended up giving up his hands before the river!

PokerStars, $0.22 + $0.03 - Hold'em No Limit - 150/300 (25 ante) - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

danyelrichard (UTG): 3,840 (13 bb)
_pr1c@rd0_ (UTG+1): 4,075 (14 bb)
cangaceiro51 (MP): 4,835 (16 bb)
alaercio (MP+1): 13,041 (43 bb)
Campedelli_poke (LP): 10,689 (36 bb)
DennyErr0r404 (CO): 9,920 (33 bb)
guaraciara (BU): 3,075 (10 bb)
jogador245 (SB): 6,645 (22 bb)
mnaue (BB): 8,450 (28 bb)

Pre-Flop: (675) Hero (alaercio) is MP+1 with A K
3 players fold, alaercio (MP+1) raises to 900, 3 players fold, jogador245 (SB) 3-bets to 6,620 (all-in), 1 fold, alaercio (MP+1) calls 5,720

Flop: (13,765) 7 Q Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (13,765) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (13,765) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 13,765

Showdown:
jogador245 (SB) shows A A (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 88%, Flop: 98%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

alaercio (MP+1) shows A K (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 12%, Flop: 2%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

jogador245 (SB) wins 13,765

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AK is a drawing hand. Given that you have 40+ bb behind you and you only committed 3 bb pre-flop prior to villain jamming, you can afford to fold this comfortably. No need to call SB's jam, which would have a very narrow range given the villain's history and position.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the call in this case is a border decision, since any all-in is always a coin. His stack is too big and any victory will cause a lot of damage to your stack. Yes, maybe AKs are a strong hand, but I avoid coins, except if I have a KK or AA, or my opponent’s stack is very small. A poker player must winning at the expense of his skill, and not at the expense of good luck in the coin flip. Except if your stack is very small and the push / fold stage starts. For this reason I am i prefer postflop play. I think in this hand a case it is best to play postflop, or press fold.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When facing the SB’s shove, it’s for a 22 bb effective stack. In my opinion, calling with AKs here is going to be very profitable unless the player himself is shoving an extraordinarily (read unbelievably tight) range that excludes even AK itself.

If I were the small blind in this hand, I’d tend to shove roughly at least 99+, AJs+, and AQo+. With the 3x open and the ante, the starting pot before the shove is significant to the range we should call with as well, since we’re getting considerably better than just 1:1 odds. I’d say it’s very possible that the kind of player that’s typing in his hands and chatting, having lost a few pots could actually be the kind of player that’s feeling frustrated and shoving too wide in a low stakes tourney. I’d be very happy to call this shove personally.

Hope this helps, thanks for sharing this hand as ranges for calling 3-bet shoves are so important in tournament poker as you know! [emoji4]

Last edited:
S

strick9customz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just unlucky honestly. You definitely cant flat call a 3bb raise, out of position with only 22bbs in your stack. Its time to jam. The pot represents more than 20% of your current stack and the raiser is easily folding 90% of his raising range there. Perhaps more considering your jam represents more than half his stack and will cripple him. I'd be inclined to fold tt maybe jj against an unknown 3 bet jam from the sb if I thought he was tight enough. VERY profitable jam spot. It isolates his calling range to ak maybe jj qq kk aa. And when he does fold you add 23% more to your stack. Jam all day

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I snap call here every time. While i am very likely in a race here, the blinds ante and the chips already in the pot make this a profitable call. Sadly this time he had a hand you would not want to see but since you had one on the aces it was so much more less likely he would have this one. You were just unlucky this time. Onto the next hand.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this particular case I would not fold with A-K.
First of all because apparently you are facing a weak opponent, which usually does not continue in the hand.
Second, if we assume that sb plays tight, your call is profitable, since it is balanced by your rank and also by your stack, because if you lose, you end up above the average stack and double the effective stack.
Now, if we are in a bubble situation, I would very much protect my 43 bb and included in my possibilities a fold in this case.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To even consider folding AKs preflop 22BB deep there would have to be some really special ICM consideration in play. Like if its a satellite, and folding will get you in the money 100% of the time. Then even AA can become a fold.

But other than that you can basically never even consider folding AKs preflop, when the effective stack is only 22BB. From time to time you will run into AA, and it will suck, but its all baked into the equation, and cooler situations like this is not something, that can ever be avoided. Its not like, this guys entire range was AA, especially not since you even block it.

S

Slayer88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not a fold, AK suited in this spot is an easy call you just happened to run into the worst hand possible

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the most overrated hand in poker, I think I once saw a study of a player where I enter every time I played AK versus his other hands and was the one who lost the most, I don't know if it's so real but I read it

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Tough game
With QQ on the table i would fold yes
Rgds

Folding in Poker