Would this be a mathematical impossibility

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to pose a question to the board.

What are your opinions when put in all-in positions for your tournament life, having the best preflop hand and you lose 100% of the time, never winning any post flops? Note: approx.
275 – 300 separate beats ranging back 2014 to present.

Would this be a mathematical impossibility?

This scenario is an actual situation happening on a top-tier poker site.

C

callmematt93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Impossible no, but highly improbable yes. Let's say each situation you were a 60 percent preflop favorite. Over the course of even 5 hands you would do .40^5 your chance of losing all 5 hands is roughly 1 percent with only 1 caller.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing is impossible. Although it's extraordinarily unlikely for this to occur unless you flop a royal flush or quad Aces with no possibility of a straight flush.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet i can guess the site,,,but i won`t.Too easy,,,,;)

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unlikely enough that I would not believe it.

K

karlperron88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
back in the day i lost with five of a kind, lol. flopped quads and rivered quints?? and then the table froze and was down for maintenance... i was still proud tho

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to pose a question to the board.

What are your opinions when put in all-in positions for your tournament life, having the best preflop hand and you lose 100% of the time, never winning any post flops? Note: approx.
275 – 300 separate beats ranging back 2014 to present.

Would this be a mathematical impossibility?

This scenario is an actual situation happening on a top-tier poker site.
Post some of those hands if you have them saved anywhere, I'm interested in how some of them played out.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post some of those hands if you have them saved anywhere, I'm interested in how some of them played out.
Unfortunately I stopped saving poker hands years ago, I never used any form of poker software to analyze my play, so there was never any need to keep them.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I stopped saving poker hands years ago, I never used any form of poker software to analyze my play, so there was never any need to keep them.
So this is not an actual situation happening on a top-tier poker site but rather a fictional situation happening in your mind.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would think it is impossible right now.
with 6 billion people sample , it is impossible in maths.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The picture might be a little harsh but I think it is fairly accurate - approximately 100% does not equal 100% and people have very selective memories when it comes to poker and when they 'deserved to win'.

Better luck to you! :D

Attachments

• eLC9OjL.jpg
    eLC9OjL.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 35
finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing is impossible.
I believe this is the problem. If it's possible mathematically, then it might happen, then it will happen like one of the Murphys law says. "The long run" is designed to fix this problem, however it does not. Go to iPoker network and try to win a preflop coinflip with pocket Aces... please don't bet too much and don't blame me for telling you to do that. Just try to win a flip there with AA, play some thousands of hands, get stats for 100 preflop aces and see how much it costs to wait for the best preflop hand

Answering your question NBB,
If you don't have the software that tells you the exact numbers then you're most likely mistaken.
Our psychology is designed in such way, that when we win flips with KK and AA - we're taking it as normal occasion. It's ok! I was best preflop and i won on showdown. You're forgetting about it in few minutes\hours or days, depending on the value of the pot.
From the other side, when your AA is beat - you'll keep it in mind for a long time. You've expected alot from this hand before the cards start to cover the deck, and when your expectations are ruined - you'll keep it in mind for a long long time.
You've mantioned in my post that online poker is a parody of real life poker, i can not disagree with that. Most of "the reads", "bluffs" and so on are just in our head when we play online. Those TV shows where so called "stars" are playing, simply designed to attract people to poker and teach them how to play. In place of those "stars" it would be a real mistake and stupidity to show their gamestyle to the world. Actually they're paid to play on TV and it's just a TVshow, they're playing it like a freeroll.
I can not be ungrateful to online poker, cause i've had a nice experience and won enough during online gambling, but what i know for sure, cause my software says so - in the long run, the best preflop hand is not the best hand at all. The best thing to do in online poker is to not fall for speculations like calling a allin when you have AA. Let's say you don't know your odds, you don't even know your cards, like you don't know your opponents cards, this is where the math actually starts, so with one opponent you have 49.5% chances towin the pot and 1% chance for split. Next step in math includes your cards, ok you know that you have AA... But dominating mathematical system tells you that your chance is 49% for a coin flip... it's close to betting black or red on a roulette. So winning a tourney by just going all in preflop all the time when you have a strong hand is actually not different than winning X times in a row on a roulette.

Study opponents at the table, learn and feel them. See the flop, turn, river for value and with confedence. Check your chances to beat the best possible hand. What's the value? Who is your opponent? Is he tight, loose? If he's tight, where his tighness is coming from? Preflop? Postflop? He might be playing 38os preflop, but always showes a full house 33388 at the end, or folds before the turn. That's where the profit comes from in poker.
But when i see someone who constantly wins all of the flips for 3-4 hours with trash hands against monsters, and earns impressive bounties for that - i feel like something wrong and roulette might have magnets wiithin the field and in the ball. Plus strange behavior of poker site staff - that's why i've started my post with questions i'm asking there.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not mathematically impossible if you are getting into multiple player situations. Ideally you only want to be up against one player when you are all-in .

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A much higher probability (mathematically speaking) is that near 100% of people in the entire world will not believe you because you sir are full of poo poo. Why do you even write this stuff? Do you actually believe your own poo-poo? If so, the denial runs deep & I truly hope you're able to get to a point where you can reach out for some help (< I mean this... not bein' a bigger poo-poo head when I say this).
Question though... do you think ANYONE will actually believe this? The only even marginal believers are going to be rigged enthusiasts (a.k.a. losing poker players unable to learn the game or lacking the desire to work hard enough to win. And honestly that's a large percentage of players but most are fine with it as they're not necessarily playing the game for those reasons. eg. myself... I put in very little time studying the game these days & seem to only have the motivation to keep up on things to be able to beat games at some of the lowest levels. I still enjoy playing though.... even when my AA gets cracked while deep in a tournament where winning the pot will put me in Top10 positions with 40 players remaining (< who hasn't had this happen a bunch of times... it is normal & if it didn't happen I'd think something was wrong)

Why not spend some of that "Poor me... I'm the unluckiest guy in the entire poker world" time .... or that "The online poker companies have TARGETED me for badbeats.... they even have me losing my AA near 100% of the time" time into some 'study time'. The type that will have you thinking about things differently... much differently.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will say, No way! You migth run into a bad beat but not that long. Perhaps showing the records, will help us judge your statement. :bebored:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I will say, No way! You migth run into a bad beat but not that long. Perhaps showing the records, will help us judge your statement. :bebored:

Do you honestly think there's any possibility of this being even remotely true....

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is mathematically possible but highly unlikely.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wouldn't really be a flip with AA

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The picture might be a little harsh but I think it is fairly accurate - approximately 100% does not equal 100% and people have very selective memories when it comes to poker and when they 'deserved to win'.

Better luck to you! :D

LoL,

I agree, I've had days where my hands just didn't stand up, but posting something like that is ridiculous.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just think it's funny he has no record but knows it's close to 300 hands. I think we always find a way to blame the site. If you lose with AA it's rigged. You lose with QQ vs KK and it's a setup. I've played enough live poker to realize it's just poker. Happens a lot. AA loses like 20% of the time. That's 1 in 5. Nothing is gtd. No way you can lose 275 hands in a row as fav. No way you can win Powerball either. Ok maybe you can