Winning Players: What's Your Schedule Like?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your daily schedule like when it comes to grinding tournaments?

Do you have a strict schedule of exactly what tournaments and number of tournaments you play each day or do you just wake up and randomly play tournament based on how well you do or don't do?

Do you have a strict amount of money/buy-ins that you play each day according to your bankroll (say 10% of bankroll or 10 buy-ins, no more, no less) or do you play more tourneys the more you win?

How often do you study/hand review? What kind of studying do you do? What your study to play ratio like?

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During the weekdays I play 1-2 tournaments and can also play couple rounds in SNG. On weekends when I have more free time I play more tournaments with micro buy-ins and a lot of SNG.

About my bankroll I don't have any restrictions I do try to make each day some profit. As soon I starting to lose my bankroll I quite playing during that day till the next day

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have pre-planned schedule, quite strict. It is based on my bankroll primarily and also on the time of the day.
I always analyse large chipstack losses.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Do you have a strict schedule of exactly what tournaments and number of tournaments you play each day or do you just wake up and randomly play tournament based on how well you do or don't do?

Do you have a strict amount of money/buy-ins that you play each day according to your bankroll (say 10% of bankroll or 10 buy-ins, no more, no less) or do you play more tourneys the more you win?

How often do you study/hand review? What kind of studying do you do? What your study to play ratio like?

In the past while playing MTT's, I would play ~30 mtt's in a session. How well I'm doing or not doing in those tournaments has no bearing on how many I'm playing that day. The number of mtt's I'm playing in is based upon how I am physically, mentally & emotionally feeling prior to the start of my session. (there are times when I've skipped second half of session... stop registering for more MTT's when just not feeling motivated... or feeling well... I also have late stage (4) liver disease which also impacts what or if I'm playing (I get tired.. & at times not feeling as mentally sharp).
I try to follow strict BRM guidelines... at least 100 buyins (prefer 200) but in micros I will play with fewer buyins. I'll also play above BRM guidelines if there's a huge overlay or if it's some special tournament. Basically... with a bankroll of $1,000 I will play $11 max. buyin.

I used to allot almost 50% of my time towards studying (I was hooked!).

Currently I am just getting back into playing Tournaments (have been playing cashgame for past 5 or 6years). I hope to build up to playing 12-tables at a time & upwards of 50 mtts per session but for now I'm nowhere close to that (6 to 8 tables currently... but probably best to stick to 6). I'm sure this will go up fairly quickly (it better!... or I'm doomed! lol)
As far as 'Study' time goes... as I'm just getting back into it, it has been rather sporadic. I am in the process of setting up a schedule as I write this today. First off... I am setting up a new setup for playing poker (new computer, and finally setting up a couple of new Dell Ultrasharp monitors on a special stand I purchased 5yrs. ago).
My plan is to spend 10hrs. of studying per week & approx. 30hrs. of playing. (playing 3days per week, fri, sat. & sun.).

Good question btw.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have pre-planned schedule, quite strict. It is based on my bankroll primarily and also on the time of the day.
I always analyse large chipstack losses.

I need to start doing this. How many buy-ins (or percent of bankroll) and/or number of tourneys do you play in per day/session?

I also analyze my big losses and wins. I think it definitely helps. You do any other off table studying?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past while playing MTT's, I would play ~30 mtt's in a session. How well I'm doing or not doing in those tournaments has no bearing on how many I'm playing that day. The number of mtt's I'm playing in is based upon how I am physically, mentally & emotionally feeling prior to the start of my session. (there are times when I've skipped second half of session... stop registering for more MTT's when just not feeling motivated... or feeling well... I also have late stage (4) liver disease which also impacts what or if I'm playing (I get tired.. & at times not feeling as mentally sharp).
I try to follow strict BRM guidelines... at least 100 buyins (prefer 200) but in micros I will play with fewer buyins. I'll also play above BRM guidelines if there's a huge overlay or if it's some special tournament. Basically... with a bankroll of $1,000 I will play $11 max. buyin.

I used to allot almost 50% of my time towards studying (I was hooked!).

Currently I am just getting back into playing Tournaments (have been playing cashgame for past 5 or 6years). I hope to build up to playing 12-tables at a time & upwards of 50 mtts per session but for now I'm nowhere close to that (6 to 8 tables currently... but probably best to stick to 6). I'm sure this will go up fairly quickly (it better!... or I'm doomed! lol)
As far as 'Study' time goes... as I'm just getting back into it, it has been rather sporadic. I am in the process of setting up a schedule as I write this today. First off... I am setting up a new setup for playing poker (new computer, and finally setting up a couple of new Dell Ultrasharp monitors on a special stand I purchased 5yrs. ago).
My plan is to spend 10hrs. of studying per week & approx. 30hrs. of playing. (playing 3days per week, fri, sat. & sun.).

Good question btw.

Great answer! Thank you for the detailed and informed breakdown of your schedule; this is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I've been a break-even/losing player now for a while and am starting to think it has more to do with my scheduling, volume, and BRM.

I've been meaning to start making a strict schedule of tourneys that I will play in on the days that I do grind which is all day Thurs + Fri and half days Sat, Sun + Wed. Mon and Tues I devote to studying and hand review + HUD construction. I also read a little bit of one of my poker books every morning before work for ~10 - 15 minutes. Lately, I've been trying to focus on learning more about advanced bet sizing for extracting the maximum expected value depending on position, board texture and hero/villain percieved ranges + stats.

I never keep count of the number of tourneys I play or how many buy-ins I use, I just play in the ones I usually play in but I'm guessing it comes up to somewhere between 10 and 15 tournaments. So I definitely need to start planning that out and keeping track of how many I play based on your and others' replies.

Man, 12 tables is a lot! :eek: I usually grind with optimal comfort and focus at around 3 to 4 tables. Sometimes, I go up to 5 max but that's only when I'm in the flow state. I can't imagine doing 8+ or even 12. That would be nice to get to that point.

My BR is close to 2k so I sometimes play up to $22 tourneys. I might need to just drop back down to $11 and below. That's a good study to play ratio that I might have to use as well. I don't track my study time neither but I'm sure it's not 10 hours so I will have to put in a little more time when I can! What does your study usually consist of? Mine is mostly reading in the morning after waking, a little hand review in the afternoon/evening and watching videos at night right before bed.

Do you prepare or warm-up before any of your tourneys? I've heard that some grinders do that and have been meaning to start meditating and/or hand reviewing beforehand.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your liver man. :( You taking any meds or on any treatment program for it? I really hope you can heal/recover from that fully! Health is something people often take for granted, myself included. I've been out of the gym for ~2 and half months since I strained/partially tore my calf + Achilles tendon on my left leg playing basketball; I've been a little bummed about that but am otherwise pretty healthy which I'm grateful for. I'm planning on getting back in there to at least lift some weights while my calf/achilles heals.

EDIT: that set up sounds sick btw! I upgraded to an LG widescreen 4k monitor and got a nice GTR gaming chair a few months ago. The first week I had the new monitor and chair, I had my best day ever up until that point which was $1k+ profit in a day! Sometimes, these things do help lol

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Man, 12 tables is a lot! :eek:

it's the goal. I don't think it'll be too difficult. Currently I 4-table (sometimes 6) the ZooM , FastForward tables (at first 1 was fast... 2 was nuts... now 4 is boring, lol.. not joking)

My BR is close to 2k
currently mine is about the same... but sticking to $11 max as I'm just getting started (but did play a $55 yesterday and hoping to play the SundayMillion a couple times)

For studying, I'm just getting that together still. I'm actually going to be hiring a coach pretty soon here.... just wanting to put in 1,000 tourneys first. Hoping that will help me to get a routine setup for studying. Currently I'm mostly reviewing old material I have saved on puters, and also reading a few books I recently picked up (Andrew Brokos... I used to watch his vids. years ago .. & loved them.. so now I'm reading his books).
Do you prepare or warm-up before any of your tourneys? I've heard that some grinders do that and have been meaning to start meditating and/or hand reviewing beforehand.
I'm no 'grinder'... 'yet'. To get started I like to crank up a couple tunes on my new Klipsch speakers. I find that helps to get me in the mood. I also like to blast a song or two on breaks to help me amp up the aggression (waaaat?.. I'm not 3-betting 53s in CO vs MP??.. time to blast some AC/DC Thunderstruck or Heart Barracuda).

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your liver man. :( You taking any meds or on any treatment program for it? I really hope you can heal/recover from that fully!

I was on the Harvoni treatment when it first became available. My partner was the very first one on it (via clinical trials) in our area. It cured me of the HepC but can't help my cirrhosis (which is stage4). There's no meds. or treatment for me now... aside from Beta blockers and some blood pressure meds. (I don't have high blood pressure but it's to keep the pressure in my portal vein down so I don't bleed out). My last hopes is for a liver transplant... but I could last for a long time before that. My partner is worse than me... by a long ways so I feel grateful to have the health I have today.

I've been out of the gym for ~2 and half months since I strained/partially tore my calf + Achilles tendon on my left leg playing basketball; I've been a little bummed about that but am otherwise pretty healthy which I'm grateful for. I'm planning on getting back in there to at least lift some weights while my calf/achilles heals.

Ouch! Achilles injury is brutal. Both of my brothers tore their's completely from the bone (skiing accidents) and I have had partial tears (must be a genetic weakness... blame it on my pencilneck father I guess, lol). I've been out of the gym for 12years! Was a former powerlifter & bodybuilder for many years. Never thought there'd be a day I wasn't in the gym. I'm not supposed to lift weights with my liver condition though.... 'but' I actually went for the first time just this past week and have plans on going again tomorrow! Even if it's just to keep myself moving... I think it'll be one of the keys to become successful at the MTT grind.

EDIT: that set up sounds sick btw! I upgraded to an LG widescreen 4k monitor and got a nice GTR gaming chair a few months ago. The first week I had the new monitor and chair, I had my best day ever up until that point which was $1k+ profit in a day! Sometimes, these things do help lol

Computer is running smoothly finally this evening! Just hooked up my speakers & sub, sorted all my wires & stuff. Put up some poker memorabilia on the walls (I have a fulltilt hat and a set of chips signed by Gavin Smith... and a few other things to go with it). It's my inspiration.

Good luck on the tables.
I'm going to start playing on the US sites now too. Never really played much on them before aside from cash tables. 5 hrs. late reg. though....

ganbat

ganbat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning players: What did you change to turn Ls into Ws? The biggest change u did.

Last edited:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In most cases, I do not have scheduled tournaments, it all depends on the mood and the amount of money !!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Winning players: What did you change to turn Ls into Ws? The biggest change u did.

For myself, (back when I was playing MTT & SnG regularly), it took putting in some serious study time off the tables to improve my play & my results. Initially I read every book & every strategy guide I could get my hands on (probably over 50books my first year playing).

I'm just getting started here again now on MTT play... and looking for new methods & routines for studying. (ie. investing in coaching, also planning on joining a training site again... so that I can hook up with some players who are already doing what I hope to be doing as well)

Kiteman27

Kiteman27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
/tournaments are such a time intensive grind i usually play one big slate on sunday and commit the whole day (and hopefully night!) to them. besides that ill play maybe one per day, if that...

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I get down to business at 9-10 pm. It was at this time that the tournaments that I play on a regular basis start. Of course, the nightlife is not comme il faut, but this is the specificity of our path - to adapt to the fish. It is at this time that the sweetest compositions can be found. If I had the opportunity to "turn the coil" during the day, I would agree without hesitation. I usually finish at 4-5-6 in the morning, depending on the diplomas. It is not worth diving in and smearing, I will mention this once again, it will not be worse.The most dangerous time is from 3 to 6. The production of melatonin, which is responsible for mood, decreases in the body. Therefore, those who do not sleep are overwhelmed by "black" thoughts. This affects the game. By this interval, we have only a few tables, where it turned out to go far, and the final place and the win depend on each decision. Stock up on lollipops and chocolate, it is unacceptable to release the brakes on a successful performance in the past hours. Listen to non-aggressive music: classics, sounds of nature, French pop, who likes what. The main thing is to concentrate in the most "sleepy" period of the day.