Will you call this shove when you are right till Turn in a tourney?

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Pals,
I had won a Big fish $33 tourney ticket on 888 via spin. So basically it was a free money for me.
I decided to play $33 Big fish tourney, prize pool $12000 yesterday.

After playing for an hour I had left with 50 BBs and the Villain had 70 BBs.
I were in middle position and dealt 10 10.
Villian was at Cut off.

I raised 4x Big blinds and Villian raised up to 2x of my raise. I did call.

The flop was- 7 8 9 rainbow.
Check-Check at flop.

Turn was another 7.
The board reads 7 8 9 7.
I bet half of the pot and the Villian went allins.

I recall the past actions of the Villian and put exactly him on A K.

So I was Sure that River card will decide the faith.

I remember all the odds and called and the Magical River card was an A.
So, I was out.

Now my question is I should have gone for tourney life or try to run deep in the tourney via Stack size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-01-12-43-25-30_34fb950b5aea132076d040ff14e08f59.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-01-12-43-25-30_34fb950b5aea132076d040ff14e08f59.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 18
CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were right

I think you had to call, your outs were obvious and his were only 6 if he had the AK, just a bad beat is all you can say. Been there done that many times..lol

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucks the way it turned out.
Tough spot, I don't know. Villain's behavior was very suspicious and you put him on the right hand.
The flop is risky and fearsome for any overpair (unless it's 10s which is your holding) and he doesn't bet. Then on the turn nothing changes (no flush draws too), you bet and he goes all in.
Lol this is crazy. I don't know, maybe he tries to represent Aces or something or he just bullies you or he 's crazy.
I guess your call makes sense, though he could hold Aces and trying a sophisticated/fancy play.

Btw do you always raise x4 preflop? Why no 2-2.5 which is the standard?
Do you change your open sizes depending on your holding?

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucks the way it turned out.
Tough spot, I don't know. Villain's behavior was very suspicious and you put him on the right hand.
The flop is risky and fearsome for any overpair (unless it's 10s which is your holding) and he doesn't bet. Then on the turn nothing changes (no flush draws too), you bet and he goes all in.
Lol this is crazy. I don't know, maybe he tries to represent Aces or something or he just bullies you or he 's crazy.
I guess your call makes sense, though he could hold Aces and trying a sophisticated/fancy play.

Btw do you always raise x4 preflop? Why no 2-2.5 which is the standard?
Do you change your open sizes depending on your holding?

No, I do not always raise x4 preflop. I did it because couple of players after me were quite loose and I do not want many players to get involved in the hand.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need to think about his check on the flop. That should mean nuts or the kind of hand you put him on. With the turn action it leaves you in the same boat of him being polarized, you are crushed or you are way ahead. You mention you have a read on him and believe he has AK. I have learned for better or worse that if your gut tells you something go with it. If that is what you were feeling than you did nothing wrong at all and made the correct move. You have to trust yourself and you did.

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Pals,
I had won a Big fish $33 tourney ticket on 888 via spin. So basically it was a free money for me.
I decided to play $33 Big fish tourney, prize pool $12000 yesterday.

After playing for an hour I had left with 50 BBs and the Villain had 70 BBs.
I were in middle position and dealt 10 10.
Villian was at Cut off.

I raised 4x Big blinds and Villian raised up to 2x of my raise. I did call.

The flop was- 7 8 9 rainbow.
Check-Check at flop.

Turn was another 7.
The board reads 7 8 9 7.
I bet half of the pot and the Villian went allins.

I recall the past actions of the Villian and put exactly him on A K.

So I was Sure that River card will decide the faith.

I remember all the odds and called and the Magical River card was an A.
So, I was out.

Now my question is I should have gone for tourney life or try to run deep in the tourney via Stack size.

I think the call was okay. I wouldn't play it the same way.... Why did you open raise with 4 BBs ? Is that your ordinary size to open raise? This bigger sizeing shows me, that you are not confident with your hand. You wouldn't open raise with a massive hand like this, would you?

After he reraised you, we know that he might have a strong hand like a better pair or combinations with aces like AKs/o , AQ....

The flop seemed to be perfect for us. Now i would bet the flop for sure! Even if your hand looked really strong now. You had 42BB / Villain 72BB and pot was 16 BB. So now i would bet third pot size. For example a couple of overcards would fold. He was in position and he covered your stack. Difficult. If he called, you could fire a second bullet. Usually a lot of draws and overcards would fold know. If Villain would shove this turn too you would call and the result would be the same, but i would play it always with a c-bet on the flop on this board. You want him to get out. Even if he folds the flop, winning a smaller pot is much better then losing.

Which hand did you represent? Preflop raise, call 3 bet, check the flop and bet half pot on the turn...out of position and against a bigger stack. Of course he was lucky but i think if you played i more aggressively you might had a chance to get him out.

Last edited:
P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call was right, I would do it all day, and every day of my life. But, I would play differently that hand, 2,5 bet would be lots better, then call he’s 3bet would be ok. On the flop check, and if he bet, 3bet jam, and that would put him in a really bad spot with his hand. I don’t think that he would call in situation like this .

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I do not always raise x4 preflop. I did it because couple of players after me were quite loose and I do not want many players to get involved in the hand.

Ok it does make sense and I can understand that, but then are you planning on making 4x open raises for as long as you keep playing on that exact table with the same villains behind you?
You 'll put your self in awkward situations if you do that. And if no, you already gave info that occasionally you raise 4x. (maybe with pocket pairs?)

Call was right, I would do it all day, and every day of my life. But, I would play differently that hand, 2,5 bet would be lots better, then call he’s 3bet would be ok. On the flop check, and if he bet, 3bet jam, and that would put him in a really bad spot with his hand. I don’t think that he would call in situation like this .

But villain checks back here. And then?

Last edited:
RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played correctly, you couldn't go without seeing River.
Too bad the letters didn't help him.
It’s always good to study, here on the forum there’s great content about stack size,
I didn't learn how to leave a link here.
glgl luck at the tables!
:ciao: