Why you should ALWAYS switch gears

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something not working? Loosing your stack and seeing people are starting to go after you? It's okay to poach from the lamppost and figure out what it is they figured out about you. Were you playing too loose? Switch gears to super tight-aggressive, I mean SUPER tight. Playing what you think is solid tight poker, but seemingly "coolered" into having to fold because of ranges? Then switch gears, open up your range, get in spots where they wouldnt expect you to.

Just two sides of the coin. Phil Ivey is really good at switching gears. You can be too.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Yes. Especially if you have played against the same opponents for so long that they think they can categorize you as a certain type of player it can pay off big to change gear and play opposite your image.

You can also break it down to play different on the earlier streets and the later streets.

Some good LAGs play very loose PF and sometimes on the flop and people think that they are totally crazy. But they can be really careful if comes to the turn and river without a good hand or draw and do not stack off easy if they think you are strong. They use the image they create by playing many hands to get paid off then be big money goes in.

If you play mostly tight pre-flop and most of the time later streets you can do the opposite and bluff the turn and maybe also river (shoot a second or third barrel since most players think you always are strong).

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think there are several reasons to switch gears:
1. adapting to opponents/change in players
2. stack depth
3. icm
4. you become more difficult to play against

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think there are several reasons to switch gears:
1. adapting to opponents/change in players
2. stack depth
3. icm
4. you become more difficult to play against

Couldn't have said it better myself. Worst thing you can do is become predictable

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I switch it up sometimes to try and mess with the HUDs lol

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people think about switching gears, they often think it means going from very aggressive (LAG) to very tight, but the truth is that there are many many gears you can use.

Changing gears is basically increasing or reducing your range. You add some combinations to your opening range or you do the opposite and take some combinations off. It’s not like you go from 22+, 56s+,JT+ straight to AQ+,JJ+.

If you suddenly change your style it will become way too obvious and people will pick up on the fact that you’ve tightened your range. Do it gradually.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something not working? Loosing your stack and seeing people are starting to go after you? It's okay to poach from the lamppost and figure out what it is they figured out about you. Were you playing too loose? Switch gears to super tight-aggressive, I mean SUPER tight. Playing what you think is solid tight poker, but seemingly "coolered" into having to fold because of ranges? Then switch gears, open up your range, get in spots where they wouldnt expect you to.

Just two sides of the coin. Phil Ivey is really good at switching gears. You can be too.

Are you copy/pasting from the article section of the forum? There is an old article "Switching gears" there... it's not good you know.

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is not good? Copy articles or switch gears?

Baba Orielly

Baba Orielly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BabaOrielly

You have to constantly change. The "pro's" write these books, and the people who stand by them are an easy read. When someone knows you, you will lose the war,:fight:

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it sometimes to try and change my luck.. And try to mess up the HUDs lol