When Is It Time To Play Loose/Make Coinflips?

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the best poker players out there are very aggresive like Tom Dwan, Ilari Sahamies, V. Blom, Gus Hansen etc. What do you guys think is the time to play this loose aggressive strategy if you would call it, any game choice that suits this? Is the image part of it profitable or is the actual playing style? I think this style is very difficult to master, and that's part of why the tight players don't always get the action or wins that these guys I mentioned do, I think the Russians imitate the style the best :)

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo, you want to "flip" as early as possible when you are confident your range is ahead of your villains.

The sooner you get chips, the better you will do in the tournament.

As far as how that ties into your overall image and style...

You could write a book answering that question...

P

pierceisgod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your ITM thats not the worst time to flip but also very early in the tournament if you want to give yourself a very good shot at winning the tournament maybe risking a big chunk of your stack on a flip.

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early double ups don't win tournaments. Playing a strategy with the intent to risk your whole tournament life early on for a chip lead will more than often only lead to exiting early so unless your 100 percent sure you have the nuts then its not worth the risk.

I think the mid stage of the tournament is the right time to loosen up and start playing aggressive, if you double up here I'm assuming you will have an above average chip stack which will take you in to the money if you play correct.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually it's best to play loose when there is antes. before that there is not a lot of point because your raises will be more than what's in the pot. you can also play loose around the bubble when some players are just trying to make itm.
as for winning flip's, you need to win a good few of these to win a tourny. this is when you have to run good. what you need to avoid is getting your chips in bad, if you are at worst flipping in each all in, then that is a good spot to be in and will give you a good chance of doing well.

odomazetov

odomazetov

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I usualy play passive till antes didnt come on board , when antes come u should play more aggresive and it depends on what kind of players u have on the table.

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early double ups don't win tournaments. Playing a strategy with the intent to risk your whole tournament life early on for a chip lead will more than often only lead to exiting early so unless your 100 percent sure you have the nuts then its not worth the risk.

I think the mid stage of the tournament is the right time to loosen up and start playing aggressive, if you double up here I'm assuming you will have an above average chip stack which will take you in to the money if you play correct.

I want to address this post specifically because it seems to be the prevailing wisdom among recreational tournament players and is 100% wrong.

Of course early double ups don't win tournaments however early double ups DRAMATICALLY INCREASE your odds of winning a tournament. I would say that if a winning tournament player gets an early double or triple up he improves his chances of winning the tournament by an order of magnitude or factor of ten. So instead of being 1% to win the tournament he now has a 10% chance!!!

I always find it ironic how players are so hesitant to "flip" early in a tournament (i.e. call two all-in shoves with AKs) however later in when they get short they have no problem shoving all-in with A4o from HJ trying to steal the blinds because they are short stacked...

Really stop and think about that for a moment. No, really, think about that.

There is one trait among good tournament players that consistently reach the bubble way ahead of the chip average, and that is recognizing those "key" tournament moments.

Think about this. Would you agree that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to win a tournament without flipping a few times? So, lets say that in order to win a tournament you will have to flip 4 times all-in.

Now ask yourself, when do you want to flip and/or risk your "tournament life".

Scenario #1. Hero is short stacked at 9bb, chip average is at 21bb, 10 places till the bubble. Hero gets K4o in the CO and Hero shoves to steal the blinds, thus risking his tournament life with K4o....

Scenario #2. Round 3 of tournament, blinds 100/200 avg stacks are at 10,000 chips. V1 and V2 are super spewtarded donks who have been seen going all-in as light as 88 and AJ. V1 raises 600, Hero 3-bets w QQ to 1600, V2 shoves, V1 shoves, Hero???

In Scenario #1, Hero is risking his tournament life with an inferior hand and if called is in serious trouble. However, this has become "accepted" among most players as they realize you need to steal blinds.

In Scenario #2, Hero has a great hand in a perfect situation to TRIPLE UP, however conventional rec-fish wisdom is to "not flip" so early in a tournament simply because its early???

I'm telling you, that wisdom is 100% flat out wrong!!!!

The earlier you amass chips the better your odds are of winning the tournament. In fact, its not linear. I'm not saying you need to splash around and lag it up. No. But what I am saying is you can't pass up on these spots when they come up. Or put another way, if you "only" logic for not flipping is simply because its "too early" that is just faulty logic. Would you ever fold AA preflop becuase "its too early" to put your tournament life at risk? no. that's absurd. Whenever you feel you have an equity advantage you should be willing to flip. Doesn't matter if it is the very first hand or if you are on the bubble.

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to address this post specifically because it seems to be the prevailing wisdom among recreational tournament players and is 100% wrong.

Of course early double ups don't win tournaments however early double ups DRAMATICALLY INCREASE your odds of winning a tournament. I would say that if a winning tournament player gets an early double or triple up he improves his chances of winning the tournament by an order of magnitude or factor of ten. So instead of being 1% to win the tournament he now has a 10% chance!!!

I always find it ironic how players are so hesitant to "flip" early in a tournament (i.e. call two all-in shoves with AKs) however later in when they get short they have no problem shoving all-in with A4o from HJ trying to steal the blinds because they are short stacked...

Really stop and think about that for a moment. No, really, think about that.

There is one trait among good tournament players that consistently reach the bubble way ahead of the chip average, and that is recognizing those "key" tournament moments.

Think about this. Would you agree that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to win a tournament without flipping a few times? So, lets say that in order to win a tournament you will have to flip 4 times all-in.

Now ask yourself, when do you want to flip and/or risk your "tournament life".

Scenario #1. Hero is short stacked at 9bb, chip average is at 21bb, 10 places till the bubble. Hero gets K4o in the CO and Hero shoves to steal the blinds, thus risking his tournament life with K4o....

Scenario #2. Round 3 of tournament, blinds 100/200 avg stacks are at 10,000 chips. V1 and V2 are super spewtarded donks who have been seen going all-in as light as 88 and AJ. V1 raises 600, Hero 3-bets w QQ to 1600, V2 shoves, V1 shoves, Hero???

In Scenario #1, Hero is risking his tournament life with an inferior hand and if called is in serious trouble. However, this has become "accepted" among most players as they realize you need to steal blinds.

In Scenario #2, Hero has a great hand in a perfect situation to TRIPLE UP, however conventional rec-fish wisdom is to "not flip" so early in a tournament simply because its early???

I'm telling you, that wisdom is 100% flat out wrong!!!!

The earlier you amass chips the better your odds are of winning the tournament. In fact, its not linear. I'm not saying you need to splash around and lag it up. No. But what I am saying is you can't pass up on these spots when they come up. Or put another way, if you "only" logic for not flipping is simply because its "too early" that is just faulty logic. Would you ever fold AA preflop becuase "its too early" to put your tournament life at risk? no. that's absurd. Whenever you feel you have an equity advantage you should be willing to flip. Doesn't matter if it is the very first hand or if you are on the bubble.

lol!! I will explain my theory in more detail and keep it simple....

You start your MTT with a default strategy of playing super loose aggressive/ making coin flips early on. The MTT has started and you have a stack of 3000 chips...

You play super LAG from the get go and you manage to double up on your marginal hand, you now have a chip stack of 6,000 chips. Does this dramatically improve your odds of winning? In my opinion not dramatically because tournaments do not pay for early chip leads or high chip stacks. Further more is that risk early on worth the reward? No as 3,000 chips will only be one big blind later on in the tournament.

If anybody believes me to be wrong, next time your in a online tournament observe if any of those who double or triple up early manage to last till the final table, more than likely they don't.

There will be situations early in a MTT where your holding a strong hand preflop and someone shoves and you have a opportunity to double up, if you believe your hand is stronger from the information you have in front of you then by all means make the play you think is correct.

There is different opinions on playing TAG or LAG early on in a MTT and honestly it comes down to personal preference but the OP is asking when is the right time to take play loose/take coin flips, for me the right time isn't in the early stages.

The key is mastering either way of playing and knowing when to adjust. Once you master your play you will accumulate chips. All those players you mentioned are not just great because of aggression, there is a lot more to it than just pushing your chips into the pot pre flop with a strong hand ( If only poker was that easy )

You will have to excuse me because I didn't get the time to take in all your little sceneries as its 2 am and I'm very tired but I seen you mention blind stealing later on in a MTT? I don't see how that is relevant to the question "when is it the right time to play loose/take coin flips" because no matter your stack size you will need to steal blinds sometimes to stay above water. Again mastering this play is important to.

Anyway that's my two cents and I hope it helped sorry for any spelling errors I'm to tired to correct them. I'm off to sleep though, JAH bless & guidance. :beer: :beer:

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we are going off on tangeants.

I'm not advocating TAG or LAG play. My point is simply that we should be willing to "flip" early in a tournament.

Another fact that helps my argument is that there are more donks at the beginning of a tournament. The % of terrible players is higher early in the tournament as opposed to later in the tournament. As the tournament progresses the terribad players bust out and the better players rise to the top. Obviously the occasional donk will rise as well, but for the most part, there are worse players early in the tournament vs later in the tournament.

So, this helps your "flip". If you take a flip early in the tournament with a hand like AK, TT, JJ, etc there is a good chance that what you think will be a flip is actually a hand you dominate: i.e. you think V has 88-JJ when you call with AK and it turns out V has AJ :)

Anyways, its super late, I just finished grinding 16hours and its 5am my time...

So I guess I'm done arguing this point. We will agree to disagree...

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What's your basis for saying an early double- or triple-up produces such a large jump in your chance of winning?

S

solly cholly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
quote=Arjonius;2155139]What's your basis for saying an early double- or triple-up produces such a large jump in your chance of winning?[/quote]
good players use the double up a lot better than the lucky donks. they also move thru the bubble with huge stacks. if u almost never move thru the bubble with a huge stack you have a hole in ur game. dgi is right on the money.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the master of coinflips
ziigmund.jpg

_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personal preference I guess. Some people will get the majority of their stack in the early stages of the tourney just so they can be in a good spot. Do I agree with this? well not exactly, depending on the situation your cards how many villians are in the hand, plays obviously the biggest part of the decision you have to make

I have found in the middle of the tourney players play tighter I just think this because most of the loose players have already been eliminated. But obviously you will have to mix up the play of your game throughout a tournament not one way is right nor wrong. Its just what you feel comfortable with and what you think is right and how you plan on carrying out and executing your plan.

D

Dan711

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker styles must evolve as time goes by as everything does. Years ago a tight nitty style was the most successful, simply wait for a hand and play it. Nowadays a more hyper aggressive style is the most successful but has a large variance. Avoiding flips in small tournaments is best especially if ur life is on the line. However in really large tournaments u must be willing to flip but avoid flips early on if possible and take ur chances later in the tourney when the reward can pay huge dividends!! I'd rather double late in a tourney then double the first hand because those chips will mean nothing deep in the tourney, they may be equivalent to one bb.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker styles must evolve as time goes by as everything does. Years ago a tight nitty style was the most successful, simply wait for a hand and play it. Nowadays a more hyper aggressive style is the most successful but has a large variance. Avoiding flips in small tournaments is best especially if ur life is on the line. However in really large tournaments u must be willing to flip but avoid flips early on if possible and take ur chances later in the tourney when the reward can pay huge dividends!! I'd rather double late in a tourney then double the first hand because those chips will mean nothing deep in the tourney, they may be equivalent to one bb.

yeah unnecessary flips i think is what you mean, don't flip just cause you need a double up, do it when you are very sure you have the edge

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your basis for saying an early double- or triple-up produces such a large jump in your chance of winning?

In a tournament, chips are power. If you are a skilled winning tournament player, having extra chips early gives you a TREMENDOUS advantage.

#1 The extra chips gives you a ton of fold equity vs other thinking players
#2 The extra chips makes other players fearful of you and they are less likely to try to bully you, bluff you, and will often just flat out surrender pots to you
#3 Extra chips enable you to see more pots thus increasing the probability of you acquiring more chips through skill and or exploiting leaks of your opponents
#4 Extra chips enable you to take advantage of luckbox deep stacked donks, thus if you double up against a deep stacked donk you become tournament chip leader and completely outpace the field...
#5 Extra chips can serve as "fat" enabling you to survive a couple of lean rounds of card deadness and still be healthy when you finally get some decent cards

Once you acquire significantly more chips than your peers at the table, a runaway effect takes place where the chips just seem to flow to you. Villains stay out of your way, no one tries to steal from you, all your raises illicit folds from players and they fold everything but JJ+/AK to you, its super easy to steal blinds and antes, etc. etc.

Near the bubble when the majority of the field is at 5bb - 20bb and in super fit-n-fold shovebot mode you are at 50bb+ deep and can just swoop in whenever you like and grab more chips and/or take advantage of loose shoves by desperate short stacked villains who are now forced to shove with Ax and Kx hands...

To be clear, I'm not saying you have to splash around and LAG it up. That is not my point. My point is simply the earlier you acquire more chips, the better your odds of winning IF YOU ARE A SKILLED WINNING TOURNAMENT PLAYER.

If you are not a skilled winning tournament player and the only way you win tournaments is to be dealt top 5 hands and flop sets then chipping up early will not benefit you all that much vs a player who knows how to use chips to gain more chips.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^ YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also think playing really tight in the beginning is oldschool poker. Probably works in the CC nitty/fishy games , but I don't think it will give you much chance nowadays to get in a great position to win a large field MTT.

Also I don't see any top pro playing this way early on by folding the majority of their hands in early stages in stead they try to see flops cheap (mostly in position) with 'speculative' hands and play on from there!

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coin flips should only be taken against players in early stages you feel you don't have much of an edge against a post flop, even then at early stages you shouldn't want to be really flipping even vs the good players as there are still plenty of fish ready to pay you of.

Taking coin flips early, in general is going to be bad because the field at the early stages has all the bad players remaining. Stacking of on a flip vs a fish isn't going to be the best EV spot you can find vs them. You will likely be able to see flops with say KQ for example, flop top pair and get them fish to stack of with dominated hands. Of course; there will be many times as well which is quite common where you can get your AK for example in vs a worse Ax.

Of course later on during the tournaments when stack sizes begin to get smaller, you will have to take coin flips at some point but when your table is still full of fish; there's simply no need especially given the chips gained early stages doesn't put you in a position to go on and win. You can keep a medium average stack size and once antes kick in, stealing becomes much much more beneficial to your stack size as opposed to winning flips. If you can steal effectively, this will by far have a better inpact on you going deep in a tournament rather than taking early stage flips.

Yes the idea of tournaments is chip accumulation; but you can find much better spots where you will be a huge favourite.

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo, you want to "flip" as early as possible when you are confident your range is ahead of your villains.

The sooner you get chips, the better you will do in the tournament.

I disagree, you actually want to avoid a 50/50 all in pre flop early stages. Also; how can you be flipping if you're confident you're ahead of villains range? In this case, you won't be flipping. The sooner you get chips doesn't make much difference at this point in the tournament because effective stack size of the table is still going to be smaller. What good is a 20k stack size if your table average stack size is 3k and there's no antes to win pre flop?

In a tournament, chips are power. If you are a skilled winning tournament player, having extra chips early gives you a TREMENDOUS advantage.

Chips are power; but not in early stages. When there are no antes in play, stack sizes are big a big stack can't really bully much because there's nothing to bully, just a couple of small blinds. We're not in the money at this point, the tournament is no where near the "profitable" stage. I much prefer spots where there is an aggro player with a big stack size in the early stages (generally, these are the bad players who have run good and accumulated a big stack) because they are there trying to win every pot, but fail to realize they are not really at a tremendous advantage as you say because all they are doing, is stealing a pot pre flop that's worth 1% of most peoples stack size.

The only time a big chip stack becomes effective really in a tournament is once the tournament is entering the late stages and the effective stack size is small and the antes preflop make it profitable to just run everyone over who has a small stack size, where you can pick up huge amounts of chips pre flop.

Last edited:
UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 to ramdeebam. There should be voting for comments in the forums!!
So what are you gonna do with a large stack early in the tournament? Let's say you are the chip leader with 15k and avg of 3500 with 25/50 blinds. Now what? Gonna bully 3k stacked people? Pointless !

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what are you gonna do with a large stack early in the tournament? Let's say you are the chip leader with 15k and avg of 3500 with 25/50 blinds. Now what? Gonna bully 3k stacked people? Pointless !

Good point. I have not had a lot of luck shoving preflop or calling multiple all ins with AK early stage. I mean, it is not a made hand. I often see this "flip it early!" strategy fall on it's ear to very loose players early on (that is when you see the biggest schools of fish, early in the MTT) when they call with any pair whatsoever and the AK does not improve or gets into a 3-4 way jam session and loses to a set.

You know how often I see a 4-way all in preflop with AK/AQ/44/77? And how many of those times I wave bye-bye to the guys with the big aces? It's just silly. Also, how many early big stacks never make it into the pays? Or, they clam up and play only tight afterwards...no, that's not a tell, is it?

And having a big chip stack early has one distinct disadvantage often overlooked; you are a double-up target for the smaller stack.

And that's a fact, jack.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pfff I missed the coinflip part :D

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When you are at 15k and the rest of the field is at 4k then you can just sit back and wait for great opportunities to stack villains.

The "bully" comment wasn't so much in regards to trying to steal 25/50 blinds, that would be pointless.

The bully comment was moreso in regards to forcing thinking players and scared money players into folding big pots because the prevalent wisdom among tournament players is to "not" risk their tournament life "early" in a tournament and so they will be much more risk averse playing for stacks.

Give you an example. Blinds as you say are 25/50, we have 15k our villain has 4k in chips.

We suspect V is raising light and he raises to 200 so we 3-bet him to 600, he calls.

flop (1200) X Y Z
he leads out 800, we shove for 3400...

Now because of our chip stack we can put the pressure on. If V is like "most" tournament players (as evident by this thread) he is ONLY continuing with the near nuts and will fold pretty much everything else. He folds and we scoop up a nice juicy 2k pot. The rich get richer...

This is what I mean by bullying when you are a big stack.

For the love of god just listen to all the advice in this thread about "too early for your tournament life...". The earlier it is in the tournament the more fold equity you have because there are so many players that adhere to that "early tournament life" dogma...

And if you pick your spots carefully and bully as a semibluff (i.e. if you are called you still have outs to win) then bullying becomes insanely profitable because you will have a tremendous amount of fold equity.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are at 15k and the rest of the field is at 4k then you can just sit back and wait for great opportunities to stack villains.

And players will know what you are doing. Good luck with that, your range gets pretty well defined by doing that.

The "bully" comment wasn't so much in regards to trying to steal 25/50 blinds, that would be pointless.

The bully comment was moreso in regards to forcing thinking players and scared money players into folding big pots because the prevalent wisdom among tournament players is to "not" risk their tournament life "early" in a tournament and so they will be much more risk averse playing for stacks.

Give you an example. Blinds as you say are 25/50, we have 15k our villain has 4k in chips.

We suspect V is raising light and he raises to 200 so we 3-bet him to 600, he calls.

flop (1200) X Y Z
he leads out 800, we shove for 3400...

Now because of our chip stack we can put the pressure on. If V is like "most" tournament players (as evident by this thread) he is ONLY continuing with the near nuts and will fold pretty much everything else. He folds and we scoop up a nice juicy 2k pot. The rich get richer...

This is what I mean by bullying when you are a big stack.

That is a perfect scenario. Good luck finding that everytime you try it. Good luck with players like me hunting down you guys who practice this "strategy of strength", lol. Like I said, you are a target for smaller stacks. But hey, if it works for you, go for it!

For the love of god just listen to all the advice in this thread about "too early for your tournament life...". The earlier it is in the tournament the more fold equity you have because there are so many players that adhere to that "early tournament life" dogma...

I think when you realize ONE misstep can get you put out of the game, period, then it was too early to go play tanks at 20 paces early in the game. Maybe this is good advice for rebuy games, but it is not wise, IMHO, for games where you have to survive. And MTT's are games where you simply must learn to survive. No extra points for slamming one or two here and there early. Big stack early does not mean you will keep it and win. Matter of fact, the early chip leaders hardly ever win the whole game.

And if you pick your spots carefully and bully as a semibluff (i.e. if you are called you still have outs to win) then bullying becomes insanely profitable because you will have a tremendous amount of fold equity.

Yes, the bully tactic. Well, I do hope you realize what being a bully is; it is not getting max value from the best hand you are holding - no, it is scaring people off with no hand or 2nd/3rd best. Seriously, you do not think that will backfire sooner or later? Putting valuable chips at stake in a pot with a weak hand or no hand at all? That is what you are doing, daring people to call, at their own risk. See someone do it enough, and they just wait and trap you.

Honestly, I see guys bully all the time. Then they get smacked for half their stack or more and suddenly they stop bullying. Now, is that a tell about their range now? You betcha! Is bullying people with weak holdings a tell about your hand as well? You betcha!

Want some advice on how to become a bully-killer? https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/dont-fear-bully-parts-1-4-a-224991/

But, if this works for you, I wish you well.:beer:

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree, you actually want to avoid a 50/50 all in pre flop early stages. Also; how can you be flipping if you're confident you're ahead of villains range? In this case, you won't be flipping..

Let me clarify. What I mean is that spots you would naturally think is a flip i.e. you have JJ and you are fairly sure your villain has AK but then when the cards turn over you are shocked to see that villain has 99. Or you have AK and are sure V has an underpair and then V turns over AJ soooooted

... The sooner you get chips doesn't make much difference at this point in the tournament because effective stack size of the table is still going to be smaller. What good is a 20k stack size if your table average stack size is 3k and there's no antes to win pre flop?.

This post makes me sad. You are stuck in "tight tournament poker" think. Players make all kinds of mistakes and as a big stack you can exploit those mistakes by inflating the pot and getting your villains to dump tons of money into the pot and then BOOM forcing them to put their "tournament life" at risk.

A lot of rec-fish do not think in terms of big blinds. They think in terms of the amount of money they have. If a player is at 7k chips and blinds are at 25/50 and you open raise 600. Said player doesn't think "Man, he raised 12 big blinds I can't call with A5s". No, said rec fish thinks, "Oh, he raised 600 I have plenty of chips since I have 7k chips, okay I call..."

And again, the benefit of being at something like 30k chips when the field is at 7k chips is that there will exist the occasional luckbox donk who sucked out or won a big pot and is likewise 30k deep. You target said donk and you stack him and then you are on cruise control to the final table.

Its funny having this argument because unless you routinely chip up early in tournaments then you have no idea what you are arguing against.

I have to be honest, if you do not see the advantage of having double to triple the chips of the field in the early stages of a tournament then you just aren't that skilled and are the typical "tight" tournament player who only wins tournaments when the deck is smacking you in the face.

I know that sounds accusatory and antagonistic but I don't know how else to say it.

Now when the typical donk doubles or triples up early in a tournament then absolutely it makes no difference because he is a -EV player. But if you are a skilled and winning player it makes a tremendous difference. And if you don't think it does then you have some leaks in your game and are not effectively using your chips to target aggro thinking players or typical MUBsy tournament players.

Whenever I hear a player utter the phrase "Its too early to risk my tournament life" I target that player and will put his ass all-in on the turn for stacks knowing that he will fold everything but the near nuts. Inflate the pot, pop him on turn and sit back as he convinces himself that its too early to risk his tournament life. Scoop up the chips, rinse and repeat and make it to the bubble/final table as top 5% in chips...