When to go inactive

T

TexomaKid73

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed many go inactive when they get close to being in the money. I recently was ten away from winning a tournament ticket. Should I have just went inactive like so many others.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Odd tactic, IMHO.
It may work if you are afraid of loosing too much chips, but in this case you need to pay attention to why you can't play wisely during the bubble.
In addition, you may loose many chips as blinds too, btw.

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
inactive players drive me nutz, but If I see them I steal their bb sb

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Ufff, inactivity is my greatest problem.Don t know how to overcome.

JOKE on YOU

JOKE on YOU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep playing if someone is inactive I try to take it all bb

K

knocker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never go inactive as in sitting out. I just slow down. I don't get involved in big pots, I muck all low and middling hands and I never shove unless I have the nuts or something very near it. You don't have to leave the table outright, just play it cool. If you have the chance to take a pot, take it. If you have the chance of busting out 50 from getting paid, fold and ride it out.

You can start playing like you want to win the tournament again after you make the cash.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could prove beneficial some times. I was playing a 1$ SNG one day, and i remember reaching the final table, and boom the chipleader just goes on "sit out". Funny thing, in just a few hands, i find myself heads-up with the guy, and just bled him dry until i won first place. Now, as a matter of tactics, it's something as old as the game itself, and maybe/probably the guy was happy with 2nd place, since we all know how things can spin around in seconds. Then again i just think he had an emergency, and had to step out.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never go inactive, but may not bet at all, especially against a big stack. Best of luck.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here you have to press on a small stack and be wary of a large stack.
blinds will eat you if you just wait for the weather from the sea[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing to consider when really close to hand for hand play if you are inactive then you cant use your time bank to stall.

Last edited:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
go inactive at own risk....

If you want to donate to others, sit out, give them your blinds. Unless you have HUGE stack, keep playing. If you're tight, you'll lose a lot of blinds, but you also lose out on potential additions to your stack.
I would for sure keep playing unless I had the stack ao I'm only 4 or 5 OTM; then you can calculate if you're ITM easily; further out, say top 50, it's hard to calculate exactly how close you are, when you include all the money lost to blinds.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good question and aya's post applies. Can you play better than sticking your head in your ...?:D

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Many use it as part of a strategy and do it to avoid playing or to avoid risks during that part of the tournament, so the chances of overcoming the bubble phase is quite high, sometimes I think that during that phase is when most tragedies, but it's part of the game and you have to learn to face that part of the tournament, I think that you should not always apply that kind of strategy

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On sattys maybe, but on tournaments i like to be agressive, real money is in FT..

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought about this tactic twice. Then caught AA twice. Called all in. Was eliminated. Then turned back to think about this tactic.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IDK doesn't bother me when others do it I just take their chips. But I never do this myself. I certainly tighten up a bit on the bubble but can't wrap my head around the idea of auto-folding every two?.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen people in a satellite that are in top 5 when there is 30 places paid and only 40 people left that will still play hands. If im in that position i will fold AA. you have already won the ticket so dont be foolish. i have seen many bust out because they wanted to play a hand. the objective is to get a ticket once you have that achieved you just sit back and let others bust.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I do not sit-out on the bubble time. If I am short I play more carefully and use my time. When I am good stacked, I start stealing others blinds. I think with sitting out you just loose chips, that you will need later in the tourney.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this strategy is very strange, I do not see any advantage as it will fold instantaneously and lose chips in SB BB. If you do not want enter with any hand, just fold and enter only AA KK AKs

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this often in the ACR Venom sats....when you are statically guaranteed a spot why would you risk losing with nothing more to win? NLH is a dangerous game.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a logical standpoint there's no real reason to go inactive unless you have something else that's more important to do with your time (which you probably do, but regardless). You can achieve the same thing by staying at the table and just playing extra tight, but with the benefit of being able to act on opportunities. Yes you'll bust sometimes when you would have floated past the bubble, but you'll also get a lot of clutch double-ups and make it significantly deeper. I think it's definitely +EV in the long run unless you're making some very bad decisions in-game.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're talking about tickets, you may choose being inactive only if you are sure that you are near the goal, with a lot of chips.