demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Today I played weekly tournament pokerstars (k.o).Everything was going well I had a good stack and good chances to have a good position .I Then they changed me the table one of the players was the big stack probably one of the top of the tournament of 10.000 players.I thought well that was it I'm gonna lose...He shoved with any cards he lose some but he returned back to his chips.I waited till I would play .I folded some good cards but I call with A Q .I couldn't just wait anymore to see my stack minimize just with not playing.He won with 53.What I did wrong?:confused:

Last edited:
C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you were wrong: "I folded some good cards." Your call was 59% versus 40% and you lost, that's okay. If you keep folding, you push with any pocket pair and get the same result. Do not worry! Play more without this guy and catch him when he stops pushing any two or is eliminated.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think you were wrong: "I folded some good cards." Your call was 59% versus 40% and you lost, that's okay. If you keep folding, you push with any pocket pair and get the same result. Do not worry! Play more without this guy and catch him when he stops pushing any two or is eliminated.
Thanks for replying.That was one bad beat ok.But he never I mean never stopped to shoved with anything .I was waiting for him to folded once but he didn't I wished to changed me table fast so I could play.But nope.Anyways th was a freerool after all...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I played weekly tournament pokerstars (k.o).Everything was going well I had a good stack and good chances to have a good position. Then they changed me the table one of the players was the big stack probably one of the top of the tournament of 10.000 players. I thought well that was it I'm gonna lose...
...why? what does someone having a bigger stack mean you're going to lose. i'm pretty sure, in every mtt you play, there will be someone with a bigger stack than you at some point until the very end.

He shoved with any cards he lose some but he returned back to his chips.I waited till I would play .I folded some good cards but I call with A Q .I couldn't just wait anymore to see my stack minimize just with not playing.He won with 53.What I did wrong?:confused:
...this is a ko mtt. villain has a big stack that can knock players out and take their bounties. this is a sound strategy, though maybe a bit too loose with their jams but it's strategy. when a player has a big stack and has no fear of busting out, then can just run over shorter players who either have to fold and their stack gets smaller or they have to call and hope they hold.

at best a short stack will win and double up, but still have a small stack. they don't win any bounties and their still in a bad spot with a big stack jamming over them. for the big stack, losing doesn't knock them out and if they win, they pick up extra big blinds and a bounty for their effort. so the idea here is to play your stacks aggressively and try to knock out smaller stacks to build yours up and to take the bounties.

from the sound of it, you probably just tightened up way too much and lost a lot of your stack before you called. yes, aq is slightly ahead, but you're really short, it doesn't really matter if your hand held or not, you'd still be a bad situation and you like go right back to playing tight, allowing villain to keep betting you out of pots.
above

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off all dont assume, you did anything wrong, because you busted from a tournament. The whole idea of tournaments is to bust everyone, until only the winner is left. And typically only 1 in around 7 participants make it into the money, so per definition 6 out of 7 are not going to make it into the money. So please stop seeing it as a failure, when you dont make it into the money. If this was the weekly PokerStars "reward" freeroll, its a 100% KO, but that is an outlier, so view the above as feedback for a normal MTT.

Ok so with this out of the way what is the best strategy against a maniac with a big stack? Tightening up certainly makes sense, but if he is still left to act also consider open jamming in spots, where you would normally min-raise. Like if you have for instance 16-20BB, then there is no point in min-raising, if you know, he is going to jam most of his range, and you will then fold. But basically this is it. At some point you will need to get it all in and win a "flip" to survive in a tournament, and busting with AQ certainly seems fine enough in a vacuum.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't afraid the big stack but I knew from the very first place since I saw his strategy that I had one shot.I didn't wait that much I was observed him and waited a good hand probably the best would be any pairs but blinds were getting bigger.I had good enough stack maybe i wanted to busted him well I lost. Maybe I played badly.Thanks for replying.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just unlucky, this is poker, my opinion is that you shouldn't analyze the game against such an opponent, you correctly estimated his range

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, what you did wrong is take on a bigger stack than yours online.
I find that for some reason (Not always) but majority of the time, the bigger stack will win with any two cards.

You did what you needed to do and at that time the RNG wasn't on your side.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to knockout tournaments, even online, and even PokerStars! Then usually there is such idiocy with coinflips that it is useless to discuss.:rolleyes:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, what you did wrong is take on a bigger stack than yours online.
I find that for some reason (Not always) but majority of the time, the bigger stack will win with any two cards.

You did what you needed to do and at that time the RNG wasn't on your side.

It's about the magic. What you are seeing is that the big stack player is thinking what the hey, even if I lose this hand I am still in the tournament so he calls and looks to get lucky.

Now, a player like that is getting in it AIPF often and loose is typically a lucky donkmeister, because he would not have the big stack if he wasn't super lucky that day. (On a normal probability day, he would be out already.) Thus, the magic is with him that day, and when you take him up, you are facing headwinds. That's why you see more big stack donks take out people.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to play against such maniacs, or I'm waiting for top pair to catch him, trying to play the whole stack.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it comes to knockout tournaments, even online, and even PokerStars! Then usually there is such idiocy with coinflips that it is useless to discuss.:rolleyes:
what idiocy is there when a biggest stack is abusing the basic strategy of the game? basic strategy being to get it in with decent equity, knockout players, and collect bounties.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP is focusing on the hand, where he busted. And this is kind of human nature, but its actually more important to focus on those hands, where mistakes were made, even though they did not cost us our tournament life.

And from the way, the whole story is told, I can easily see a scenario, where several folding mistakes were made prior to this hand. To me it really sounds like, OP wants to avoid being all in and at risk, and I see many people play like this in low stakes tournaments. They try to limp with a 8BB stack or just call from CO with a 12 BB stack.

But this is a huge mistake. A "tournament life" is not the life of our newborn child, and we should be happy to put it at risk, if its profitable to do so. In general its better to jam than call, but this does not mean, we never want to call. And depending on the situation we certainly dont always need to have a hand as strong as AQ to make a profitable call.

So without knowing, how this table exactly played out, or what hands OP was dealt, its quite possible, that he bled away a lot of chips by not being willing to call this maniac in situations, where it would have been the right thing to do.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In today's daily $100 on ACR, my table was in the same situation. Villain went all in EVERY hand. (S)he won some nasty beats and built up to over 14,000 early. I waited a while during the low blinds. Once I was in BB with 20BB, I called with K9. It wasn't a great hand, but I figured I was better than 60% against random.

You have to make a move while doubling up still means something. Best to make the move from late position.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I played weekly tournament pokerstars (k.o).Everything was going well I had a good stack and good chances to have a good position .I Then they changed me the table one of the players was the big stack probably one of the top of the tournament of 10.000 players.I thought well that was it I'm gonna lose...He shoved with any cards he lose some but he returned back to his chips.I waited till I would play .I folded some good cards but I call with A Q .I couldn't just wait anymore to see my stack minimize just with not playing.He won with 53.What I did wrong?:confused:

Good evening!
You did everything right, it just happens that recreational players are lucky :mad::mad::mad:

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's about the magic. What you are seeing is that the big stack player is thinking what the hey, even if I lose this hand I am still in the tournament so he calls and looks to get lucky.

Now, a player like that is getting in it AIPF often and loose is typically a lucky donkmeister, because he would not have the big stack if he wasn't super lucky that day. (On a normal probability day, he would be out already.) Thus, the magic is with him that day, and when you take him up, you are facing headwinds. That's why you see more big stack donks take out people.

"lucky donkmeister" :D i totally agree with blueskies..sounds like a really unfortunate spot to be seated with this guy..i think you did great demibar by taking your stand with AQ (eventhough you certainly knew that you would have preferred AA or KK..). But i totally get your point.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did well to wait for a stronger hand, but it's also worth watching the flop from position with the reset cards.
If there is a hit then you have to pay for it.
But basically, when someone is in a huge influx of winners, you don’t really know what to do.
Max, you're waiting for it to end.
Such a card tsunami maybe if it happened to me a few times so far, but then I really went into play for 1-2 hours with whatever I won, but I didn’t even get a minimal loss, I quickly got it back.
It feels like a dream but the awakening is awful when the tap is turned off and you start to lose but now with good hands too. Well, it's awful after such a mega wave.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it right. You were unlucky. It happens there sometimes.

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could always have done the same in those cases where you hope to have a strong hand to call. there's no other you can't wait for the blind to share

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are full of those maniacs. I don't think you did anything wrong with that hand, just a bad beat. You should win with that hand in the long term.