What's wrong with my strategy?

vivaldo

vivaldo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone!
What I am going to say is the way how I have been playing poker for past few years. I hope someone can help me with advice is there something wrong what I am doing.

Usually I choose tournaments with big payouts,where play 1000 or more people. In begining,while blinds are small,I play tight and just checking players. When blinds rises than I start knocking out any agressors. Building big pot with them and than going all in,even if it's bluff. In that point I loose everything or build good stack. Lot of chips allow me rest of tournament play very very tight and just keeping checking how many players left and how many get paid and what is my position. For example,if there is 500 people left in tournament, 400 get paid,and my position (by chip size) is let's say 125. ,than I just need to keep waiting till we are left 400 people. I very often get in price pool,but usually I don't get to final table, where the most money is.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi everyone!
What I am going to say is the way how I have been playing poker for past few years. I hope someone can help me with advice is there something wrong what I am doing.

Usually I choose tournaments with big payouts,where play 1000 or more people. In begining,while blinds are small,I play tight and just checking players. When blinds rises than I start knocking out any agressors. Building big pot with them and than going all in,even if it's bluff. In that point I loose everything or build good stack. Lot of chips allow me rest of tournament play very very tight and just keeping checking how many players left and how many get paid and what is my position. For example,if there is 500 people left in tournament, 400 get paid,and my position (by chip size) is let's say 125. ,than I just need to keep waiting till we are left 400 people. I very often get in price pool,but usually I don't get to final table, where the most money is.
Instead I dont know how many volume you play these tournaments, I ask you to be more patient. Big field tournaments use to be hard to get ITM and harder to hit the top.
People learn to play by words only, they are useful to learn about generic idea about raises, 3bets, 4bets, check-raises and other moves, but people ignore the math behind all that moves. At least you have to use an E-PokerCaIculator to help you improving your skills. I use to say people play by words but poker have to be played by numbers. I believe you are playing the medium game woth generic ideas and being overagressive than you really need to be. To be consistently on the top of rankings it is needed to know more than most players, so study more than them.
Good game, positivity and wisdom! [emoji6]

Last edited:
perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play to win not to just make the money. I play more aggressive as the bubble is coming up knowing others are just playing to make the money. Works for me.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't maybe build big pots without a hand most of the time because the player is aggresive or something. If you have a pretty big stack then you can play basic poker waiting for hands, stealing blinds when you can etc.. Big part of the tournaments is blind stealing not bluffing too much so take it in your mind.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone!

Thank U 4 Posting.

Your play after you build a big stack is the type of strategy you would use to only get into the money. Therefore your strategy is working perfectly.

If you want to get to the final table you have to continue to be aggressive and selectively loose. You will fail more often that way but you will give yourself a real chance at making the final table. Continue to attack players with wide ranges and weak tight players who are looking to cash not win. Use your big stack as a weapon not as a blinds dispenser.

Hope this helps
:five:

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Vivaldo, here my PoV:
First of all, you should change your approach about the tournaments.. Your objective shouldn't be to get to the money, but to win the tournament, or at least make the final table, there's where the money is. It's so much profitable to make one final table out of 10 tournaments than 7 min. cashes, for example.

That said, I like the fact that you are tight early and checking your opponents game, that's great. Once you build a healthy stack, you should start playing a bit more loose (loose aggresive), taking good spots to attack and steal blinds or 3bet late ORs with good hands.

I prefer to try to win a lot of small pots than playing big pots, then you're on the safer side, you don't want to risk you're stack all the time, MTTs are a survival game. Only play big pots with big hands, that's a rule of thumb for me.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the tables change and on each table for about 15 minutes or more it is enough to catch the bluffing player

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mentality of building a stack in order to make the cash is wrong. You should continually be building a stack to be able to make aggressive plays and withstand bad beats. If you are not constantly applying pressure then you will get left behind.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The long tournaments must be played to win, if you settle for charging, the mtts will never be profitable, better play sit a go.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not play to finish just in the money. You should play to win. I usually become more tight when I am short stacked. When I have bigger stack I am more aggressive. It all depends on the situation, stack of other player, position at table and time in tournament.