What's a reasonable goal to set for my freeroll bankroll before switching?

P

Pokerton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to gauge the amount of time I should dedicate to the freerolls before jumping to SNG/MTTs with entry fees. What is a good bankroll before entering the microstakes levels?

Also I have been getting better and better at MTTs, I', assuming I should stick with thoase when I enter the next stakes, right? As opposed to going to cash games, where I have less experience and skill?

O

OmenTX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to gauge the amount of time I should dedicate to the freerolls before jumping to SNG/MTTs with entry fees. What is a good bankroll before entering the microstakes levels?

Also I have been getting better and better at MTTs, I', assuming I should stick with thoase when I enter the next stakes, right? As opposed to going to cash games, where I have less experience and skill?

You should just save up money for the 1/2NL game and play live.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
honest opinion, the MTTs if that's what your best at are a real nightmare to try and make a reality from freeroll winnings, im not saying it cant be done, but the varience on MTTs is higher then every other type of game you play, that being said, I personally managed to turn $30 into $300 on PKR when that was around, but as that isn't around anymore I am not sure of the best MTTs to progress from your looking for small player pools of 200 or less for your best chance, any more then that your going to rely on a lot of luck throughout your bankroll building and risk losing all your hard earned freeroll winnings

P

Pokerton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
honest opinion, the MTTs if that's what your best at are a real nightmare to try and make a reality from freeroll winnings, im not saying it cant be done, but the varience on MTTs is higher then every other type of game you play, that being said, I personally managed to turn $30 into $300 on PKR when that was around, but as that isn't around anymore I am not sure of the best MTTs to progress from your looking for small player pools of 200 or less for your best chance, any more then that your going to rely on a lot of luck throughout your bankroll building and risk losing all your hard earned freeroll winnings
Would you suggest SNGs instead or Cash?

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd keep it small, with the goal to switch to cash games or sitngos. something like 20 dollars and start playing NL2

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
in time you can dedicate all you want, I do not think the time you spend so much influence so you can go to play sng, mtt .. what would be the profits you get from them, I do not know what the exact amount would be you should generate for you to make the change, but what I can recommend is that once you have the necessary bankroll do not leave aside the freerolls, they will always help generate more income to your bankroll

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20 dollars if you wish to play micro sng's. 50 bucks if yo want to play the jackpot poker or live tables.

ChiTownRon

ChiTownRon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What ever you plan on doing, just make sure you deposit enough so you feel comfortable playing knowing you still have a bankroll. You definitely don't want to play with scared money. Stick to micro ring games and small SnG's ranging from $1 to $5. After you feel confident enough in your SnG play, you can start to dabble in small buy in MTT guaranteed tourneys. Good luck.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get your bankroll up to 10 dollars from freerolls, you can play a couple 50 cent SNGs. You can always play more freerolls if it doesn't work out. Cash games can be a different animal than MTTs, so SNGs may be a better option right now.

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goal

That depends on alot of factors, but on avarege make shure that you have enough buyins for whatever is planned, stick to your strategy and be paitient.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you suggest SNGs instead or Cash?

remember SnGs are a HUGE different set of skills required to MTTs,

it becomes more about survival and cashing whilst trying to control a stack size good enough to give you an edge

MTTs are about trying to get a edge on your opponents so that you can get through building your stack with as little 50 / 50 races that will eventually become inevitable

and cash games are about having an edge on a table, knowing where your money is coming from and not worrying about the cards as much as long as mathmatically your making the right plays

for starting out, i like the STTs at poker stars that have multi table formats, i also advise the tournaments held by cards chat, both of these have good final pay, without the ludicrous field sizes and you can definately push your money in the right direction, at an early stage if you can get used to the survival aspect of an STT the 50/50 tournaments are really good, and mixing it in with the 9/10 man STTs is also a handy thing as long as your finishing in the top 2 more often then not

Lastly, i would never recommend a CASH table to a player who states he is good at MTTs mostly, due to the nature of cash games it can become a HUGE fall as the game is completely different but if you can keep tilt control under wraps and again chose your enemys wisely, then yeah go for it but play cautiously to start

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more the better bankroll to 30 buy-ins at least if MTT.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Build up a bankroll and start with micro stakes cash games to get an understanding of the game. Once you have that understanding, play the smallest stakes for a live cash game you have near you. Set limits for yourself, set a goal, and make sure you stick to it to start. Adapt to your table and how they play, and bring your own style once you're comfortable.

Y

Yterrible

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a player on a similar grind, I feel like if you have built any kind of bankroll from freeroll youre qualified for .1/.2

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why wait at all? If you cash in a freeroll and you see an event you want to play and can buy in for, why wait to build more up before playing? It's not like freeroll winnings are going to end up being your stake.

On the other hand, If you're looking to build a bankroll on a long-term basis from a nice little cash-out, I'd say limit the buy-in to 10% (or less) for tournaments and for live games limit the stakes to where you can buy-in 25-30 times.

Or at least that's what “they” say.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management