What's a good sample size for tourneys?

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's a good sample size for tourney's?

Since Jan 18 I've played 33 online tourneys final tabled 9 and came ITM 9 times. I play about one tourney a day and have played as many as 5 tourneys in one day. Jan 18 was the first time I began tracking my tourneys.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A hell of a lot more than 33. I would say play a few thousand and see where ur at.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's a good sample size for tourney's?

Since Jan 18 I've played 33 online tourneys final tabled 9 and came ITM 9 times. I play about one tourney a day and have played as many as 5 tourneys in one day. Jan 18 was the first time I began tracking my tourneys.

3 , 3

K

》》Sent by rdm-I.dRoid 《《

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
33 is nothing in the world of poker... really good poker players can go on tangents where they cash in 20/33 MTT's online in like TWO days. your sample size should be somewhere in the thousands.

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
33 is nothing in the world of poker... really good poker players can go on tangents where they cash in 20/33 MTT's online in like TWO days. your sample size should be somewhere in the thousands.

Alright, I knew 33 wasn't enough but didn't know what number was enough, but now I know. Thanks!

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You missed the K. I meant 3,3K to make an ironic joke on your post which made me laugh cos I heard weird stuff on sample sizes ect bur never found a guy trying to compare a good sample with his own of 33 games (please take it easy, I dont have any flame intention. Peace and love :icon_geek )

Keep on grinding
gl mate

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You missed the K. I meant 3,3K to make an ironic joke on your post which made me laugh cos I heard weird stuff on sample sizes ect bur never found a guy trying to compare a good sample with his own of 33 games (please take it easy, I dont have any flame intention. Peace and love :icon_geek )

Keep on grinding
gl mate

Don't worry I didn't get mad just confused but I see what you did there haha. I've played more than 33 just never kept track before now. Good Luck!

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1000 games to have a rough idea if are a winning player, around 5000 games to your winrate be kind of acurate.

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nine final tables out of 33 tournaments is a good run. Congrats.

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Size of the field matters too. Its much easier to reach FT in small field tournaments compared to those with thousands runners. But this should balance out over a big sample too. In the long run what matters is your ROI imo. You can final table 9 times and have lower profits than someone who just final tables once and wins the whole thing.

Theres a website that keeps track of tourney stats. No need to manually keep track even if you don't have a HUD.
www.officialpokerrankings.com

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Size of the field matters too. Its much easier to reach FT in small field tournaments compared to those with thousands runners. But this should balance out over a big sample too. In the long run what matters is your ROI imo. You can final table 9 times and have lower profits than someone who just final tables once and wins the whole thing.

Theres a website that keeps track of tourney stats. No need to manually keep track even if you don't have a HUD.
www.officialpokerrankings.com

Thanks for the link I've been keeping track through Microsoft Excel haha, but no need to do that anymore.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tracking sites are not 100% acurate though, they usually miss some games here and there.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Many players online will be playing 33 tourneys per day... some will play much more than this.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're on a loser, CrockPot. If you won 15 bracelets at the wsop in one year the posters here would still say it's not a big enough sample to say whether you were any good!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're on a loser, CrockPot. If you won 15 bracelets at the WSOP in one year the posters here would still say it's not a big enough sample to say whether you were any good!

I'm really glad to hear somebody else say that, I think this same kind of thing all the time.

Yes, we all understand that the bigger the sample size, the more accurate the data. But, are we suggesting that there is no value in analyzing the data before the sample size gets large? surely not...so there is a sample size at which analysis becomes useful and then a sample size at which analysis becomes increasingly accurate. Many newbies (myself included) are basically just trying to get an idea of how we're doing on average so we can "improve as we go" and frankly, I get sick of reading posts about how you need thousands and thousands of tourneys before you know if you're a good player.

I'm pretty sure Doyle Brunson wrote supersystem long before he had thousands of tourneys under his belt. I'm pretty sure Eric Seidel and Phil Hellmuth were recognized as world class players long before they had 33,000 tournaments on file.

my gut feeling is that analysis can tentatively begin when you have 100 tournaments of the same type to analyze; as long as you know that the complete accuracy is in question for a while...

anyways...I am not a statistician so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but in my line of work we send out surveys to our patients and each month we get reports on how those surveys came back. Every month we are told that if your number of surveys returned is under 30, your results are not considered statistically significant. Usually, I only get between 30-50 surveys returned per month and my bonus is based on this, so it is good enough for my employer to decide how valuable of an employee I am. According to most suggested poker standards, I would find out if I am good at my job somewhere near the end of my career...

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really glad to hear somebody else say that, I think this same kind of thing all the time.

Yes, we all understand that the bigger the sample size, the more accurate the data. But, are we suggesting that there is no value in analyzing the data before the sample size gets large? surely not...so there is a sample size at which analysis becomes useful and then a sample size at which analysis becomes increasingly accurate. Many newbies (myself included) are basically just trying to get an idea of how we're doing on average so we can "improve as we go" and frankly, I get sick of reading posts about how you need thousands and thousands of tourneys before you know if you're a good player.

I'm pretty sure Doyle Brunson wrote supersystem long before he had thousands of tourneys under his belt. I'm pretty sure Eric Seidel and Phil Hellmuth were recognized as world class players long before they had 33,000 tournaments on file.

my gut feeling is that analysis can tentatively begin when you have 100 tournaments of the same type to analyze; as long as you know that the complete accuracy is in question for a while...

anyways...I am not a statistician so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but in my line of work we send out surveys to our patients and each month we get reports on how those surveys came back. Every month we are told that if your number of surveys returned is under 30, your results are not considered statistically significant. Usually, I only get between 30-50 surveys returned per month and my bonus is based on this, so it is good enough for my employer to decide how valuable of an employee I am. According to most suggested poker standards, I would find out if I am good at my job somewhere near the end of my career...

Even though this is a really old thread that I don't consider relevant any more, +1 for your answer!

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think is a very good result, I think Auger soon will have such results