What is your biggest weakness?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way to improvement is the ability to recognize your own weaknesses, and work on them!

This is true in poker and in life.

So...let this thread be a way for you to focus your attention on your biggest weakness (right now) in your poker game. It could be a technical aspect of the game, or a struggle with balancing time/other commitments. Lets have an open discussion on our weaknesses. :)

Right now, I'd say my biggest weakness is playing a 15-20BB stack, mid to late in the MTT. I either play too tight, and allow myself to fold down to ~10BB where I feel more comfortable, or I play too aggressive and give away 5-10BB with weird steal attempts. This is the area of my game that I'd really like to focus on and improve.

How about you?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest weakness is playing too much poker. I'm just not enjoying it like I used to anymore.

They have a name for that - continuously doing something that you don't enjoy.

I think the writing is on the wall.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biggest Weakness

The way to improvement is the ability to recognize your own weaknesses, and work on them!

This is true in poker and in life.

So...let this thread be a way for you to focus your attention on your biggest weakness (right now) in your poker game. It could be a technical aspect of the game, or a struggle with balancing time/other commitments. Lets have an open discussion on our weaknesses. :)

Right now, I'd say my biggest weakness is playing a 15-20BB stack, mid to late in the MTT. I either play too tight, and allow myself to fold down to ~10BB where I feel more comfortable, or I play too aggressive and give away 5-10BB with weird steal attempts. This is the area of my game that I'd really like to focus on and improve.

How about you?

I think my biggest weakness is failing to slow down and really consider what the opposition has when they re-raise me and I have caught a hand. Example recently in a MTT on the Btn, the UTG 2 min raised, Mid position called I had A9o I called, flop A93 rainbow, UTG2 chks, Mid bets 2.5BB, I raise all in, Mid calls , showdown Mid has 99 for a set, I never considered the possibility of a set and at the time I was in the top 3 of the tourney, had I considered a little more I could have just called and if he pushed I could have folded and maintained my position in the tourney, I failed to think. another example here, again I didn't stop and think.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7qwAFgL
:):):)

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many times in bubble moments I don't make the best decisions, I am affected by pressure and tiredness on several occasions:cool:

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think my biggest weakness at the moment is tilt - I get quite annoyed easily which leads to very poor decisions.
I'm still fairly new to poker though so I'm hoping to get this under control soon.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are some good posts! Let's consider how to improve in these areas.

My biggest weakness is playing too much poker. I'm just not enjoying it like I used to anymore.

They have a name for that - continuously doing something that you don't enjoy.

I think the writing is on the wall.

Greg, you are experiencing what I went through about 7 years ago. I had been playing poker for so long, and continuing to fill my "free time" with as much poker as I possibly could. Also, I was a poker dealer at the time!

Playing less is the obvious answer, but while you play less you should take the extra available time as an opportunity. For me, it was almost 7 years away from the game completely (with the exception of a dozen or so "dining room table" games), seriously I didn't play online poker for 7 years (look me up!). :)

Now that I'm "back" I am treating this differently. Before I was concerned with the results (i.e. the money), and now I'm concerned with the experience (i.e. having a good time). There are ways in which you can alter your poker experience to be more enjoyable (lower volume, lower buy-in, different games, etc.). I suggest you try this out! :)

I think my biggest weakness is failing to slow down and really consider what the opposition has when they re-raise me and I have caught a hand. Example recently in a MTT on the Btn, the UTG 2 min raised, Mid position called I had A9o I called, flop A93 rainbow, UTG2 chks, Mid bets 2.5BB, I raise all in, Mid calls , showdown Mid has 99 for a set, I never considered the possibility of a set and at the time I was in the top 3 of the tourney, had I considered a little more I could have just called and if he pushed I could have folded and maintained my position in the tourney, I failed to think. another example here, again I didn't stop and think.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7qwAFgL
:):):)

CD,

I think you would benefit from a larger scope, or a broader view of the tournament structure and develop a strategy that ensures you are lasting as long as possible in the majority of your games. For some, this could be risk management (i.e. avoiding large pots where you only perceive a small edge, pressuring mid stacks instead of short stacks and chip leaders, etc.), and for others it could be simply folding more hands preflop.

I challenge you to think this one through and see how you can get "deeper" in your games. :)

many times in bubble moments I don't make the best decisions, I am affected by pressure and tiredness on several occasions:cool:

Tuku,

I would suggest registering later, that way when the bubble comes around you aren't sleeping. :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think my biggest weakness at the moment is tilt - I get quite annoyed easily which leads to very poor decisions.
I'm still fairly new to poker though so I'm hoping to get this under control soon.

John,

This is the most urgent weakness you should work on. The #1 focus of playing great poker is a balanced mind.

You will see quick improvement if you focus your studies on this.

:)

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest weakness in poker tourneys is especially when I have almost the nuts, or close to nuts cards including flop and turn, with from 93% to 95.5% of winning the hand before river and when after that comes the opponent amazing 4.5 % for hitting the card, he somehow menage to get that remaining 1(one) card and blew me away.

Happening this same two times in a row for a day, get me so nervous and so angry after spending maybe 5-6 hours on playing and finishing with just 20$.
I see my work, day, my back and shoulders wiped off from that sick and disgusting one idiotic card that comes and get my hard playing tour disappear.
After this situation Im angry the next day or two, because I spent third of day sitting in front of pc and clicking with hope for winning lets say 200$ or above.
I cant get the fact that there is always luck included in poker, even so many said that the game is not based on luck.
I agree with that, but with what or on what is based getting 5 on the river, when that its the only card that I DONT NEED, in order to win the pot.
How that isn't luck. Back on the track in the future I must accept that this is gambling and to look for a justice in a gambling is insane.
That would be equal to going in the liquor shop and saying hey I drink yesterday and got drunk, looking for someone else, which would be guilty, instead of you...
No sense right??? I know that myself too, but at the end maybe Im angry who can people get me that easy and when I'm in that same situation, but from the other side and Im the man which 5 is needed in order to save my as* in the tournament, I get you guess 9 and end it in the history.
It would get better in the future I hope so..maybe my lady luck is waiting to give me the Q, I needed to win the 10Million$ and bracelet.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John,

This is the most urgent weakness you should work on. The #1 focus of playing great poker is a balanced mind.

You will see quick improvement if you focus your studies on this.

:)

Definitely something I am working heavily on.

MusterIsBack

MusterIsBack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I understand what you mean, my biggest weakness in poker is playing with hands that I don't know what to do with. In fact, sometimes I play in bad positions with my hands knowing that an important part of my stack is going to end.
My next weakness is in tournaments. When good hand doesn't reach me and my stack ends, I get angry and all in with every hand. Although such a thing is wrong, and in the end I know that this weakness of lack of knowledge is enough and I have to strengthen myself. It was a good topic and I really enjoyed writing this article.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The weakness of most players, the inability to fold in the necessary situation, and overestimating a good, but not the best hand at the table) I think a lot of players forget to follow the game of their opponents at the current table) These problems also concern me :(,

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest weakness in poker is a strong belief and expectation of fairness in the game.

And when, even at a long distance, dispersion starts openly laughing in my face, it upsets me. Because I believe too strongly that the distance should already return my losses faster.

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My main weakness is not realizing when its time to fold. I hold on to premium hands a lot and end up overpaying when they've already become medium or low hands. It is a point to learn.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm very good question.
But i think my biggest weakness is gambling.
Sometimes i just gamble with my bankroll,sometimes gamble in late phase tourney.
So don/t be like me,don't gamble! :D

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest weakness is probably that I go on tilt after a couple of hands where I get rivered by a lucky donk..haha

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that my biggest weakness is trying to take down bad players, and sometimes I don't take the necessary precautions to do so.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My biggest poker weakness is Tequila.

OK really, my biggest issue is time. I just dont have enough to play the games I want to play. Some sites with 9 months of late registration and games lasting so long its a new year all the time I am limited to when and what I can play. If only the sites would put up a freeze out every night I would play a ton more or have late registration of 1/2 hour or less would work. Having a job just makes it hard.

Probably should not add my sarcasm in this but the other day I logged in to a game with 4+ hours of late REG. Just to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest weakness in poker tourneys is especially when I have almost the nuts, or close to nuts cards including flop and turn, with from 93% to 95.5% of winning the hand before river and when after that comes the opponent amazing 4.5 % for hitting the card, he somehow menage to get that remaining 1(one) card and blew me away.

Happening this same two times in a row for a day, get me so nervous and so angry after spending maybe 5-6 hours on playing and finishing with just 20$.
I see my work, day, my back and shoulders wiped off from that sick and disgusting one idiotic card that comes and get my hard playing tour disappear.
After this situation Im angry the next day or two, because I spent third of day sitting in front of pc and clicking with hope for winning lets say 200$ or above.
I cant get the fact that there is always luck included in poker, even so many said that the game is not based on luck.
I agree with that, but with what or on what is based getting 5 on the river, when that its the only card that I DONT NEED, in order to win the pot.
How that isn't luck. Back on the track in the future I must accept that this is gambling and to look for a justice in a gambling is insane.
That would be equal to going in the liquor shop and saying hey I drink yesterday and got drunk, looking for someone else, which would be guilty, instead of you...
No sense right??? I know that myself too, but at the end maybe Im angry who can people get me that easy and when I'm in that same situation, but from the other side and Im the man which 5 is needed in order to save my as* in the tournament, I get you guess 9 and end it in the history.
It would get better in the future I hope so..maybe my lady luck is waiting to give me the Q, I needed to win the 10Million$ and bracelet.

Gravac,

Evan Jarvis, shared a very wise sentiment in a different thread regarding "luck." When we get our money in good, we should not expect that we deserve to win the hand. We should accept the odds as they are, and understand that we have done all we can do. Try to sit with that idea for some time and think through it. Also, try late regging some cheap MTTs. You just might have more fun! :)

If I understand what you mean, my biggest weakness in poker is playing with hands that I don't know what to do with. In fact, sometimes I play in bad positions with my hands knowing that an important part of my stack is going to end.
My next weakness is in tournaments. When good hand doesn't reach me and my stack ends, I get angry and all in with every hand. Although such a thing is wrong, and in the end I know that this weakness of lack of knowledge is enough and I have to strengthen myself. It was a good topic and I really enjoyed writing this article.

Muster,

Good hand selection is critical to be a successful player. If you don't know how to play certain hands it could either be because they are crappy hands that should be folded pre-flop, or you need to improve on your post flop play. Pay attention to the dynamic of your table, and the frequency of hands getting to showdown. Adjust to the style of play that takes advantage of your current table dynamics. Again, play a solid range of hands pre-flop and limit your risk with your marginal hands. :)

The weakness of most players, the inability to fold in the necessary situation, and overestimating a good, but not the best hand at the table) I think a lot of players forget to follow the game of their opponents at the current table) These problems also concern me :(,

LFC,

Great post! I suffer from this one too. I often tell myself, "He's strong here. Just fold." but then I will call anyway to see if I'm right. Usually I'm right. :)

Sticking with our reads, and sticking with what we know is right.

I found preparedness is the way to control this. Have a plan for each hand, tournament, session, etc. Poker is an emotional game, and the emotions usually try to steer us in the wrong direction.

My biggest weakness in poker is a strong belief and expectation of fairness in the game.

And when, even at a long distance, dispersion starts openly laughing in my face, it upsets me. Because I believe too strongly that the distance should already return my losses faster.

1nsomn1a,

Thank you for this great post, on such an interesting topic.

The illusion you suffer from is not unique, in the sense that most gamblers (yes, poker players are technically gamblers too) see through this same lens. It is this exact believe in fairness, which leads to large losses. Stick with the limits you play, don't play more when you are losing (to try to win back losses) and retain an unbiased focus on your skills. If your results are lacking, but you can confidently say you are playing well then all is well. If you get upset over the results and start playing higher/longer/more careless, then all is not well.

Remember, AA can lose to KK 30 times in a row. There is nothing preventing it from happening. Each event has the same odds and doesn't have memory. :)

My main weakness is not realizing when its time to fold. I hold on to premium hands a lot and end up overpaying when they've already become medium or low hands. It is a point to learn.

Nico,

This is often to product of thinking premium hands should also equate to big pots. Deviate from this thinking and you will play them better. Premium hands are only an advantage, and it takes serious skill to look past the pretty cards. :)

Hmm very good question.
But i think my biggest weakness is gambling.
Sometimes i just gamble with my bankroll,sometimes gamble in late phase tourney.
So don/t be like me,don't gamble! :D

Mar,

You know your weakness, now act on what you know is right. :)

My biggest weakness is probably that I go on tilt after a couple of hands where I get rivered by a lucky donk..haha

SubZero,

See above. Remember, when you get it in with good equity, you have done your part. Let the cards fall. Good players are not the players that get lucky, they are the players that handle bad luck well.

I believe that my biggest weakness is trying to take down bad players, and sometimes I don't take the necessary precautions to do so.

Benkisto,

Yes, being blinded by a fish is a common weakness. While focusing on the weak players is a good idea, you also need to keep some attention on the critical aspects of your game. Too much head hunting will make you too aggressive and careless, paradoxically making you a fish. :)

My biggest poker weakness is Tequila.

OK really, my biggest issue is time. I just dont have enough to play the games I want to play. ACR with 9 months of late registration and games lasting so long its a new year all the time I am limited to when and what I can play. If only the sites would put up a freeze out every night I would play a ton more or have late registration of 1/2 hour or less would work. Having a job just makes it hard.

Probably should not add my sarcasm in this but the other day I logged in to a game with 4+ hours of late REG. Just to much.

Luve,

Send me a PM if you want. I have developed a strategy for this very purpose. I have a family of 6 (4 kids ages: 8, 5, 3, 1 month) so I also have very limited time. I have found a way to play a few games per day, with the minimum required time commitment. Essentially, you have to develop a good late reg style of play in MTTs. Game selection is very important, as is your 10-20 BB play. Get some extra experience in how to be a winning Hyper SNG player, and your MTT results will flourish. :)

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my biggest weakness is winner tilt, Whenever I'm playing really well in a tournament and get close to the money i always get anxious, and nervous and start making really bad decisions.

I need to focus on sit and goes, and or micro cash!

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest weakness (no matter how paradoxical it sounds) This is a game against weak players! Playing against them, I believe that I should win every hand and when this does not happen (which is completely natural) I very quickly fall into tilt!

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably thinking too much about my own hand and not enough about my opponents hand(s).

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest weakness is post flop play.

I should play more cash games and study Harrington on Cash Game but I had no time so far.

At least I beat Zoom NL2 on Stars lol.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
"I think you would benefit from a larger scope, or a broader view of the tournament structure and develop a strategy that ensures you are lasting as long as possible in the majority of your games. For some, this could be risk management (i.e. avoiding large pots where you only perceive a small edge, pressuring mid stacks instead of short stacks and chip leaders, etc.), and for others it could be simply folding more hands preflop.

I challenge you to think this one through and see how you can get "deeper" in your games."

This is good advice. The best thread for a long time.
I suffer from loss of concentration at the mid-point usually when I have built a stack. Do you have any more ideas. What else was contained in your etc?
My other huge weakness is curiosity. I see I have a playable hand and in my excitement I forget to put my opponent on a range of hands, and only bet what I'm seeing in front of me.
Then even worse is that if I know I'm probably behind, I can't find the correct play and fold.
Folding correctly actually works two ways. It saves you chips to make the right play with later, and it denies your opponent chips.
I used to believe people bluff a lot. I'm trying to focus on this thought. Most times the big bets go in, the Villain(s) will have us beaten
I will try and apply those ideas you have given.

Last edited:
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The other concept to acknowledge and remember is that your big pair pre-flop is only best then. Post-flop is a different scenario where the number of players seeing the flop and the wetness of the board can changes everything. Again you must range your opponents and know their type of reaction.
An LAG may bluff a wet flop, but a tight player has nearly always connected if he is making serious bets

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tend to over value my hand when multiple players are in the pot. I limp too often early in the tournament. I don't have the patience when the cards aren't coming, and I start trying to steal blinds with trash. I always open suited A rag, even UTG (knowing it isn't going to win). Too often I call oversized river bets when I know I am beat. I fold to min bets when I should stay one more street.

These might not be my biggest flaws, but they are the ones I'm working on this week.