What is your best advice for MTT?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My best advice would be consider what you would do before your opp makes a move, this is one of the most relaxing way to play. This way you won't ever be surprised by your opp move and be caught in a mini panic.

Example, I will call all hands from the cutoff and on. I will fold if the bet size is bigger than X.

Or, I will raise cutoff because his VP is 30, but I will fold if button joins the pot because he has a VP of 5.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best advice for a MTT is to know how to play a short stack and learn your shoving ranges. Even if you play well or run well in a tournament you will be short stacked eventually. The more comfortable you are playing with a stack of 20 BB or less, the better you will do. Study push/fold charts as well as learning when to re-jam can make you a profitable MTT player even if you are a little shaky with the rest of your game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also plan ahead. There is nothing worse than being stuck with a MTT, which is still in late registration, if you are already starting to feel tired and/or would rather do something else than playing poker.

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't try to push multi-tabling. Lots of players feel more "professional" but often that hinders their attention span and end up just playing position.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My best advice would be consider what you would do before your opp makes a move, this is one of the most relaxing way to play. This way you won't ever be surprised by your opp move and be caught in a mini panic.

Example, I will call all hands from the cutoff and on. I will fold if the bet size is bigger than X.

Or, I will raise cutoff because his VP is 30, but I will fold if button joins the pot because he has a VP of 5.

Thank you for posting

The foundation of MTT play is to always take the actions which give you the greatest opportunity to final table. It is better to lose trying to win than it is to min cash.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How you play near the bubble is also important with what mind set, if your sub 15 blinds you may think min cashing is more important ,you have icm considerations.
I bubbled with AA 2 of the money with less than 15 blinds it was raised 3x under the gun I shoved, raiser had QQ, and spiked a Q on flop. I was 80/20 favorite pre flop. I lost but my mindset was I wanted to have a 25 plus bb stack to have a chance of going deeper than a min cash. It depends on whats more important to you.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, you need to calculate the possible move of the opponent and be ready for such an event), but the main thing is not to forget, carefully monitor the opponents who are at your table, play calmly (there are bad hands and more of them), be able to fold when you do not want to ;) Less risk, and a minimum of preflop all in! :)

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

study first before playing poker and controlling your ego

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best advice is not to stress. If you experience a race too stressful or panic in certain situations you are at too high a stake. I think you should enjoy the game first. Sure, it’s okay to have a little adrenaline rush in between but that’s natural, just don’t panic. Game theory is very important but it is only worth something if you feel good while playing. :)

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Take it easy in the beginning, wait for hands and look for the cheap flops. There will always be fish around the table trying to play too aggressive, wait for the right opportunity and before you know it you have tripled your stack.

Then, when you have a comfortable stack, change your game style and play more aggressive in the right spots, try to steal a few pots when you can. You will continue to build your stack slowly.

Close to the bubble , there are two ways you can play
If you have very short stack 10bb or under, change to all-in / fold strategy. Only play the strongest hands and use your position. Try to slow play if possible to get into the money.

If you have a big stack, play your normal aggressive style, try to steal more pots from short stacks, but be aware of players with bigger stacks around the table, you do not want to bust before the bubble.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My advice for MTT players would be to go into the tournament ready to win it but if things don't go well(especially if you lose because of a bad beat), be ready to accept the loss and just move on to the next tournament... IMO, MTT players need a really good poker mental game and Jared Tendler has 2 really good books that can help a lot in improving this area...

GLGL all at the tables!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best advice for a MTT is to know how to play a short stack and learn your shoving ranges. Even if you play well or run well in a tournament you will be short stacked eventually. The more comfortable you are playing with a stack of 20 BB or less, the better you will do. Study push/fold charts as well as learning when to re-jam can make you a profitable MTT player even if you are a little shaky with the rest of your game.

This!!!

It may not be the most glamorous to admit but a fact of tournament poker is that short stacks usually happen. I think a lot of people think that winning a poker tournament likely involves getting a big stack that stays that way throughout the tournament. I’ve played thousands of tournaments and I doubt I’ve ever won a single one without getting under 20 bbs at some point in the game! :)

K

kkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretend to be tight in the early stages of the game :)

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never play with a set plan. Understand what your opponents are doing a change your strategy to counter their moves. If you don’t understand ranges this could be difficult so if you’re not that far along, understanding ranges would be my best advice.

J

JohnCoffee90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice: get used to big swings. Keep a positive attitude and just always focus on making the best decision instead of winning or losing. Poker is about the best decisions, frequencies, ranges and mindset. Winning or Losing is not happening in the moment, but in the longrun. Everyone can have a luckbox day and bink a win, but not everyone can win over months or years grinding MTTs.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is never to lose heart. You can go to the final table. If you are in the paying stage with very small glass, play aggressively with anyone. Do not play using standard strategy in all tournaments. Focus on the size of the stacks. The actions of the players. At the stage of tournaments.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Multi-table tournaments are a marathon. You will have to play for hours to see the first money, and your starting stack on the final table will often be less than 1 big blind. This is why it is important to constantly think of the value of your stack as not the actual value of your buy-in. From an early stage in the tournament, you should free your mind so that you can focus on making good game decisions rather than keeping your starting stack. It is only late in the tournament, when ICM comes into play, that you can already start thinking about the monetary value of your stack and how this will affect your strategy.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
make better preflop decisions as it's one of the most important decision you'll make when you play. it's also what, for the most part, will earn/cost you a lot of chips in the long term. even the simple act of having a 3bet preflop range over a wide/loose preflop limp/call range with earn you more in the long term. just tightening up you preflop range in all positions will earn you more in the long term.

it doesn't have to be super complex either. just small changes will earn you more in the long term and provide you better long term results. it can be as easy as folding marginal suited hands in early position, like j9s or q10s. these hands are pretty and can potentially hit flops hard, but that's true for every decent hand. you also don't hit flops that often, you flop nuts even less often, and if you do hit a draw or top pair, there is still risk of you drawing to worse or still being behind. and when you do get hit, are you getting paid off enough to make up for the times you missed your draws or was drawing dead/got outdrawn? it's very unlikely.

now, what if you start folding these hands when out of position? well, the big positive is you save yourself a big blind or more if you like to limp/call raises out of position with mediocre hands. so, what good is 1 big blind? on it's own, not much. but over the course of an mtt, lets say you fold 20 mediocre suited hands in ep that you really wanted to play. well, that's 20 big blinds you saved. in an mtt, that's huge. that's basically a stack you just saved that you can put to better use in better spots.