What you think about 7-5s in position?

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guys,i had seen 75s looks like a nice hand to play in position because are in the half of deck and give us chances to hit good draws,but i don't' now when i could play this hand.is like,i don't now what is the good odds to enter in a pot with this hand and when i play it,should i raise or limp in final positions(CO,SB,BB)?

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early on when blinds are low these hands can help you build a massive stack if played right postflop. No problem calling standard raises with them, but if the raise is obnoxiously big or it gets 3bet then they're very easy to let go of. I don't much like raising with them in later positions unless I'm opening the pot, and then I make my standard open (usually 3bb at this stage) the same as I would do with AA. If it's limped to me I will limp behind, if someone else makes a reasonable open, I will flatcall.

Postflop can get a little dicey at times. You have to be careful when you flop bottom 2 pair, trips, straight and flush draws, or even straights and flushes because sometimes you'll end up being against higher 2 pair, outkicked trips, higher flushes including 4 card flushes on the next 2 streets or higher straights and just end up spewing chips. I think this is a big reason people advise to just fold them preflop. however if you can play them well postflop they will help you a lot in tourneys because you'll end up chipping up quite nice.

In the later stages when blinds and opening raises are more of a significant portion of your stack, you just need to let these go unless you raising or reraising looking to steal or resteal blinds (I'm pretty much never flatting or limping them at this point)- then it can be nice having a hand that flops well in case the bb tries to defend or the original raiser flats your 3bets.

Another beautiful thing about these hands early on is they are great in multiway pots so you don't need to try to isolate a single opponent.

Last edited:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think this is not the best idea to play with such cards even in the position. In my opinion, it is more logical to wait for stronger maps and use a situation with less risk.

S

Shep15jon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with previous posts. Worth limping with in position of blinds are low anyway. I’d personally be folding to a decent raise.

You can flat call bit the odds are you’d be behind if someone has a higher pair (on the board or in their pocket), or you end up drawing - a position from which you can be tempted to bleed more previous chips in the hope of a good turn or river.

All depends on the table though, if you spot any weak betting a little bluff could get others away from the hand and win you a tidy little pot.

Fold more often than play though I think.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to minimise 1,2 and 3 gapped hands. Play only in good position multiway. These kind of 'weird connector' hands can flop monsters and huge draws but they miss most of the time. Play very sparingly, throwing one in ever so often to balance your range.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open 75s in the CO, button and SB, and defend it in the BB to basically any open. Such an easy hand to fold when you miss, so as long as you dont have “win every pot” syndrome, it shouldn’t get you in trouble!

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that hand needs to be mucked most of the time. Certainly not opened. It can sneak in behind other bets and calls in good position (CO, BTN) if there are passive fish in the blinds. But I would not recommend playing weird connectors in the SB. You are OOP (Out of position) for the rest of the hand, and if you whiff the flop which you will most of the time. If you look down at 75s OOP, you should train yourself to see a steaming turd and muck swiftly.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People might think you're Brazilian if you open that hand.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
75s is sooo speculative.

Like a previous post stated - IP it can win a big pot.

Bet it if it hits the board.

Bluff it if it misses.

Good luck !

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of hand works early on or in cash games, but it also depends on your style of play. Not every style effectively maximizes value from hands like this.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , I would and have played it. Just depends on what table youre at and the players. I've done it in some bounty hunter tourneys with low suited connectors and had success. Just depends on the type of player you are in the end

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guys,i had seen 75s looks like a nice hand to play in position because are in the half of deck and give us chances to hit good draws,but i don't' now when i could play this hand.is like,i don't now what is the good odds to enter in a pot with this hand and when i play it,should i raise or limp in final positions(CO,SB,BB)?

Try not to think about how to play one exact hand - think about how to play a range of hands. And if yes if you are comfortable post flop - suited one-gappers are great in position if you are deep stacked. (ie. 75s, 64s 86s, 97s)

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking.... suited connectors or 1 gapers in position are good. Getting too fixed, on any one hand, is not.
In a 3 way pot I'll take the 75s over the guy with JJ or QQ if we're both up against Aces.
Of course I'd rather have the ACES. More likely to win and, if not, get more sympathy from the masses when they lose.
Sympathy sucks in poker. I much prefer to be resented :)

R

rurich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
tough question

your answer runs from yes definitely to not a chance. There are way too many variables. like stack size, where in tournament (early, late, close to money, in the money), also is there a raise and a three bet ahead of you or a complete a complete maniac behind you. Poker tournaments are so complicated that one cannot always do this or that. for example, pocket aces, on the bubble, been in big tournament for 8 hours, chip leader goes all in ahead of you. What do you do, call or fold. if it were not the bubble, or you were getting low on chips you would most likely call but if the call put your entire stack at risk one position from the money most likely one would fold, thus guaranteeing you a cash return.

B

blackchip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight is Right

I'd avoid hands like these, you are going to be dominated most the time unless you catch that miracle straight. If the table is tight it could be a blind stealing hand in late position, but be cautious and keep an eye on that VP for remaining players. :top:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a pretty hand that packs a speculative punch in position deep implied odds in NLH. I play it in or out of position if I am deep150BB or more though it is best played IP because you can raise correctly, see what opponent does, draw easily.etc

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a pretty hand that packs a speculative punch in position deep implied odds in NLH. I play it in or out of position if I am deep150BB or more though it is best played IP because you can raise correctly, see what opponent does, draw easily.etc

When is it best played out of position? like how many BB? sorry. i'm messingwithu. i can't help it :)
i like jamming 66 from UTG+1 or +2. if the 7 hits the flop, i still have 2 solid outs.
A55 flop. no problem. still 2 solid outs.
777 flop...... well, i lose that hand. but did you see that flop!
777! that's lucky.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of hand can be played early, (first 2 levels), when the blinds are cheap, and no one raises. These type of hands have cracked my AA many times. But, most of the time I just fold and wait for something better.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some one opened with this 75o down to the wire at the final table in the CardsChat MOSS Freebuy from the cutoff. The button 3bet all in with QQ, cutoff called, and the flop contained a couple of 5's.

Brazillian Play of the day!

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think less of the cards and more of your blinds and how much playability/wiggle room you have with your blinds

if you are sitting on 200 blinds why not do a little 3 betting and c-betting on flops that hit your range?

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
75 are not even connectors so I always fold these kinds of cards. You might win 1-2 times but usually youll lose ur chips on this hand. As someone said above, you can play this hand in the beginning when blinds are small.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not play with such hands !!! playing with such hands you can get a lot of problems !!! Although theoretically, if a player is very passive, you can turn this hand into a bluff !!!

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that hand needs to be mucked most of the time. Certainly not opened. It can sneak in behind other bets and calls in good position (CO, BTN) if there are passive fish in the blinds. But I would not recommend playing weird connectors in the SB. You are OOP (Out of position) for the rest of the hand, and if you whiff the flop which you will most of the time. If you look down at 75s OOP, you should train yourself to see a steaming turd and muck swiftly.

Thank you that is great advise!