Chips
Sixth hand from "How would you play it" series
This time, this is going to be a play by play

$11+R NLHE 9 players
800/1600

Villain (CO): $44,215
Hero (BN): $32,616

Pre flop: (pot: $3,750) Hero has 3 3

Folded to CO, CO raises to $4,000, Hero??

How would you play this preflop:

Would you fold, call or 3bet??

R

Rounder646

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have perfect stack to resteal here, so I am shipping this in vs most lags and good tag regs. 33 plays so shit post that I think shoving or folding is really the only options. Best to see all 5 cards and hope to win the flippo when we get called.

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

$11+R NLHE 9 players
800/1600

I would call to see the flop; the flop might come with one more 3 and a set would be nice to have on the flop;).:fight:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not a great spot here. We have just over 20BB and we are not deep enough to call his raise. So the question is do we fold or shove here. Without any read on the player I think would fold it here. We are in a flip or dominated and we are to deep to push at this point in my opinion. If I had pocket 9's I would shove but 3's nope.

If this guy was a very loose aggressive player I would shove if I thought he could fold to my shove.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am attempting to to resteal by shoving all in. It’s definitely a good spot to shove and likely takes it down. Unless this player is a rock and hasn’t played any hands, then I’m flat calling hoping to hit my set.

Donskey

Donskey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's an easy shove, the CO range should be quite wide, we have great fold equity on his stack, I think it's a great spot to shove, more often than not get a fold, if not hope we're flipping. If crushed get the barf bag out. :mad:

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
as I am with a good stack would call hoping to hit a set on the flop and be able to extract the maximum villains stack is not hitting anything and villain fold increase is right

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Flatting is not one of the options here. I used to have this leak in similar spots.It's a fold or a 3bet shove.To be honest I don't like the BTN position for the resteal,I don't like that he had you covered but still we need more information here.

-Are you near bubble or ITM?
-Any reads on the opponent?
-What are the stacks of SB , BB?Did they have bigger stacks than yours?You don't block any serious holdings of theirs.

The resteal move with such small PP is more beneficial when you are the last person to act or you are at least on the SB and you are facing a loose opener in the late positions, you have 2 more players behind you.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rule of 15 for set mining, not a good spot to call. Any decent 3 bet that is not a shove creates a terrible stack to pot ratio. So yeah 3 bet shove or fold is what is left. I'm folding it on the bubble and most times probably, not keen to ship 33 on a (at best probably) coinflip with 20 big blinds left. Player stats might tempt me to shove it if they looked favourable.

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would likely fold with those hands

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Rule of 15 for set mining, not a good spot to call. Any decent 3 bet that is not a shove creates a terrible stack to pot ratio. So yeah 3 bet shove or fold is what is left. I'm folding it on the bubble and most times probably, not keen to ship 33 on a (at best probably) coinflip with 20 big blinds left. Player stats might tempt me to shove it if they looked favourable.

Hey GreenDaddy1 .
I have heard that again. Can you explain it more please?
It's profitable to call for set mining with how many bbs? bigger than 30bbs?

Thanks

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone else might be able to explain it better than me.

Basically though, you are not going to hit your set on the flop very often, your odds are 7.5 to 1 (11.8% chance). So you need to make sure you are going to get paid off, ie there needs to be enough chips in your opponents stack that making the call is profitable over a large sample size, to make up for all the times you fail to make your set and have worthlessly invested chips to make the call.

I've read 15x (that is, your opponents stack is 15x the amount of the call you have to make) , but also read of others who prefer 20x or even 25x. I'm not experienced enough to say what is 100% right, and circumstances will vary. The basic take home message is easy enough to grasp though: don't call with small/medium pocket pairs unless you're getting a big payday when you hit the set, otherwise it is going to be an unprofitable move for you.

Last edited:
elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this position I would just pay to see the flop, and after would play according to the action of the villain.

If the stack was a little smaller I would shove it into his preflop bet.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Someone else might be able to explain it better than me.

Basically though, you are not going to hit your set on the flop very often, your odds are 7.5 to 1 (11.8% chance). So you need to make sure you are going to get paid off, ie there needs to be enough chips in your opponents stack that making the call is profitable over a large sample size, to make up for all the times you fail to make your set and have worthlessly invested chips to make the call.

I've read 15x (that is, your opponents stack is 15x the amount of the call you have to make) , but also read of others who prefer 20x or even 25x. I'm not experienced enough to say what is 100% right, and circumstances will vary. The basic take home message is easy enough to grasp though: don't call with small/medium pocket pairs unless you're getting a big payday when you hit the set, otherwise it is going to be an unprofitable move for you.

Sounds rational right? ha ha,

Thank you very much for your time and the quick answer :)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
if this is a regular tournament, then you can call if turbo or hyper-turbo then I would play fold or all-in, but do not call (in most cases of folding) !!!

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shoving is a viable option here i dont think just calling is a good idea cause if the flop comes for example K29 rainbow.. what exactly is your plan? your basically calling to hit the 3 and if u do not hit it then you lost chips ..so for me its more all in then fold but sometimes fold is not a bad option either

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest in thoses kind of hands , if it s in head s up , after the raise , i ll go all in with 33 . Like playing bingo heh

Cok1973

Cok1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

$11+R NLHE 9 players
800/1600

in this situation - only FOLD (PASS)

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on the information I have from my opponents I would pay to see the flop, then depending on how I play the opponent I would make a decision

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Hi,Sarah!( I like this series of threads.)
I call.(Perhaps this move is wrong.)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would fold, because villain possibly has something better than 33!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation I would do - fold. Play a pocket pair 33 without improving on the flop is very expensive. The game with pocket pair 33 is reduced to a simple strategy - fit or fold. If you got a set on the flop - play further, if not - fold.

S

Slacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I can find the fold here. Obviously would depend on game flow and villain's tendencies. 3 bet shove is not bad here heads up, I think we fold out enough hands pre flop at a high enough percentage to be a profitable play. Still like the fold with stack sizes as they are.