What would you do with this

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok i was in a micro stakes tourney there was four of us left and we all had even amount of chips. I had K9o and sense no one was wanting to get knocked out i went all in got a caller he had A3o I wasnt too worried at this point flop came 6 spades 9 diamonds 2 hearts than turn A diamonds which killed my hand than river came J spades
did i make a good call going all in or should i have waited it out sense no one was really doing anything blinds just going to big blind and not much happening
what are your thought and how would you have done this or would you have just folded it please share your thoughts

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Not to mention that there are many factors to know in that play, I would not have done that, I would probably have expected, I guess with the information you had from your opponents you followed your instinct, it was K9o I would not have played it that way

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By going all-in, you basically created a situation where you could only get called by a better hand. For me, that was too risky given all the implications. If you really had your heart set on playing that hand, it would have been better to just raise and re-assess post-flop if you had a caller.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn’t mention how many BB you had left. If you were getting short, going all in makes sense even if you were all about even. If you all still had >15-20 BB left, I wouldn’t have went all in.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K-9 off or even A-10 A-J off are not enough to shove attempting to steal or to get called to double up if you are short between 5-10 bigblinds and win you should reconsider playing these hands as they are good only for Stealing and Heads Up

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you're that far in, trying to take it down would be the best thing to do and k 9 is just not the best type of hand to risk your tournament. Heads up K 9 is not the worst but you would still want to get your flop and proceed from there.

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you all for your reply i will have to take a deep look at how i am playing my hands thanks

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on how many BBs u had. <10 is a good shove. But 15+ bb theres no reason to shove. U can raise fold, if someone reraises you

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thank you all for your reply i will have to take a deep look at how i am playing my hands thanks

This particular spot is kind of a borderline spot tbh. It would be better if you gave a bit more info such as exact stacks here, cause they are the most important factor here, as well as your position. In general, when you are quite the shortstack, even with ICM taken into consideration, shoving with K high hand is pretty fine. With that being said, players usually know that and can call with a wider range of hands then usual, like with A3o.

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok i was in a micro stakes tourney there was four of us left and we all had even amount of chips. I had K9o and sense no one was wanting to get knocked out i went all in got a caller he had A3o I wasnt too worried at this point flop came 6 spades 9 diamonds 2 hearts than turn A diamonds which killed my hand than river came J spades
did i make a good call going all in or should i have waited it out sense no one was really doing anything blinds just going to big blind and not much happening
what are your thought and how would you have done this or would you have just folded it please share your thoughts

ok here is more information blinds are 15000 and 30000 ante is 3000 I have about 207000 and the other guy has 819498 I am on the button he is small blind i bet 60000 he raises to 175000 and i go all in he wins he hasn't been playing very good cards at this point he has been playing just about anything i figured he wouldn't have much because he was playing such bad card if there is any other information you let me know

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He has raised enough that he has to call you no mater what he has. While I would prefer to raise all in FTA and not as a 3-bet with this hand, its hard to say you made a mistake if he is pushing as wide as you have said. If you really believe he is raising Any Ace, King Queen and a lot of Jacks and other garbage I can understand why you would want to take this short and I would have as well. You just really need to be sure he is playing a lot of junk as well with his raise from the SB.

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The additional information that you gave definitely changes things or gives enough information to make a better-informed decision. I am a little confused from your original information (even amount of stacks), now your opponent has 4x your stack, that makes a big difference in my opinion. Although you stated that he is very loose, his reraise puts you all in and he will call your remaining chips. I would have stopped right there, assuming the other 2 players have stacks closer to yours. Pick a much better spot, or be the FTA shove, but I would not shove K9o to a 3bet.

SoCal

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know another option would be:
If your we're determined enough to play after the reraise a smooth call here is a very confusing play for your opponent? Plus is you get the same flop and he min bets or checks and you can shove with your hand over the top there's no ace no three you may get away with it then? It's possible he thinks you hit your kicker here with like ace nine and he's drawing dead? It would definitely be something I would have to go in the tank about for a minute? I'd probably either kick my self for not moving in on the raise or convince myself I made a good fold?

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But after reading new detail you didn't raise all in you called off your stack after a min raise? If you have 207k -3k ante 60k min raise leaves just south of 150 he has 15k in small and raises 175 more put you basically just calling off? Which no I wouldn't do in a spot like that you should either fold or shove with a stack that size and blinds where they are. Your less that 10 bigs with 4 players left. You need to get it in for sure but when you do do it all at once instead of ending up in a bad spot where I'd say your pot committed after minraise?

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to say but in my opinion bouth played foolish that's because K 9 isn't a hand to go all in and A 3 isn't a hand to call an all in; bouth are weak hands but the luck was on his side this time.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok here is more information blinds are 15000 and 30000 ante is 3000 I have about 207000 and the other guy has 819498 I am on the button he is small blind i bet 60000 he raises to 175000 and i go all in he wins he hasn't been playing very good cards at this point he has been playing just about anything i figured he wouldn't have much because he was playing such bad card if there is any other information you let me know

This changes things a lot. First of all, you have 7 BB and your opponent has about 27 BB. I mean, with 7 BB worth of a stack, 4 handed at the final table, that K9 on the button is a clear shove imo. If someone wakes up with a monster in the SB or BB position, so be it. However, with your range in that spot being so super wide, you can probably get called by some QJ, JT, as well as small pocket pair. IMO, K9 with 7 BB stack on the BU is a shove as clear as day. However, never min bet like you did and then shove over a 3-bet, just shove it!

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you were a little guick on your decision to go all in with K9 in a tourney that there were only 4 players,although it would be understandaple if you were the smallest stack and had to take the chance.I personally would have simply called it and check/fold or simply fold when i saw the flop

flathead

flathead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation you were in I would've shoved too. You knew your opponent was playing loose, so you had a decent chance of doubling your stack with K9 if you got called. If there wasn't much action anyway you were probably a bit unlucky to get called with A3o, and even more unlucky to lose when you paired the 9 on the flop.
I think you played it fine, just got unlucky

T

thejuice1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
By going all-in, you basically created a situation where you could only get called by a better hand. For me, that was too risky given all the implications. If you really had your heart set on playing that hand, it would have been better to just raise and re-assess post-flop if you had a caller.

This is 100% correct. If you were a low stack and needed to chip up then yes this is a plenty good enough hand to ship with. But if as you said was the case and everyone was close in chips, then no, this wasn't a good decision at all. Like someone above said, 99% of the time you get called in this situation, youre only going to get called by a better hand.
If you wanted to play the hand, then just making a 2x,2.5x or 3x BB raise would've sufficed.
And then just take it form there. No need to risk your tournament life by going all in preflop, especially when everyone else at that point in the hand either hadn't acted or hadn't done anything more than just limp at that point.

Risk vs Reward. Good strategy to follow. Always try to maximize your wins, but limit your losses, in order to fight another day and stay alive in the tourney.

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo you made the right play. esp since its a micro tourney, don't know what the blinds were but assuming pretty high since he called with A3

micro tourneys are perfect place where you can learn from your plays.

you thinking no one wanted to get knocked out, you went for it, it (coulduv gone your way you never know.)

also 4 players you didn't tell us your position , were you SM, button, ???

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
K9o is not the hand on which you need to do all-in

K9o is not the hand on which you need to do all-in. It does not matter how your opponents play, if you decide to do all-in, then this should be a good hand, but not K9o. The result of this distribution showed you that you made the wrong decision. Maximum could be done min. raise to ensure that there is a hand in the hands of opponents. In general, all you need to do only in extreme cases.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with K9 it was not the best way to play.