Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What other types of style are there?

I know there are:

Small ball poker,

Tight and aggressive.

Maniac Poker. (Not sure is this a style or just bad play.)

jhonsoto83

jhonsoto83

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The discipline of poker that I like the most are tournaments, you can win a lot of money with little investment and also the tournaments with rewards are very fascinating and very exciting tournaments to play them.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What other types of style are there?

I know there are:

Small ball poker,

Tight and aggressive.

Maniac Poker. (Not sure is this a style or just bad play.)
For an MTT you should consider a lot of things. Besides the usual stuff like position or type of players around you, you should consider the blind size, stack sizes, also your goal - is it to get in the money or you want to get to final table. If second, then you might consider then most players on a bubble would play a bit tighter so you can exploit it to steal more. You know. A lot you should consider.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of different styles, but the two main ones break down I'd say into:

** Tight-Aggressive
** Loose-Aggressive

Within tight, you can be generally solid but also be capable of making unpredictable plays, or play a more straightforward ABC game.

Within loose, you can be a maniac, play small-ball, limp more often, or shove/fold at deeper stacks.

D

drakongad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

Autocoller / Phone / Fish
Autocollars are sometimes rewarded for their poor play with good cards that come onto the board and often provoke a situation where inexperienced players overestimate their skill level.

Players in this category play K5 suited and cannot fold the king when it hits the board, no matter how many players are in the pot. They play any two suited cards, any ace, and cannot fold any of them if they hit the flop. They constantly complain about the crash from the game and cannot understand the reason for their bad luck.

Yakk

Yakk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Players in MTT

You will find the types of players that you find in MTT in all the modalities of No-limit holdem, you will find the ones that we all traditionally know;
Tight passive, Tight agressive (TAG) Loose, Loose agressive (LAG) but in addition to them there are those that overflow from one side or the other so you can find those that are so tight that they only play with 10% of the hands, others called NITs, at the other end are the Calling-Station, the reckless, the maniacs, all of them, as their name indicates, so they play, but in addition to that way of playing there are those who are limited in their way of playing on each street depending on whether the conditions are favorable or not.
Although all these ways of playing are common to all modalities, they have their variants or adjustments depending on each modality but in the end they play the same.
That is why it is very important that when playing you are aware of everything that happens around your table, that way you can get to know how each of your opponents plays and thus you can adjust your game to the way they play and take advantage of it. of their weaknesses or tendencies, remember of all types of player you can get knowledge so do not underestimate or underestimate any play no matter how stupid or crazy you think, everyone has their way of playing and sometimes with unexpected results.

Cheers

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all , nice to see all the comments and ideas, I'd say sometimes it varies,
some certain types of players may play LAG early on in the mtt or with a short stack, then if they get a big stack, may slow down and pick spots , or vice versa , play TAG with a smaller stack and then LAG with a bigger stack, add to this is the stage of where the mtt is at, and you have a lot of variables, in any event as in chess as in poker as in martial arts, I would say strength isn't indicative through style, that is players of different styles can get the same winning result due to their strength , not style ...... it's always a curious thing, style , and we speculate a lot about it, like in boxing, A can beat B, B can beat C, yet C beats A , in these types of examples we point at style as the defining factor,
what we don't speculate about much is strength, faced vs a very strong opponent, we notice after even a short time how strong they are, lol , my 5c

in the more poker specific side of things, don't be fooled by thinking a certain style is weaker or stronger than the next, as I said above strength is imo the defining factor, a lot of players feel that especially LAG's are weaker players and that sooner or later they will simply spew away all their chips and then out, don't be fooled , I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they're doing , know what their image looks like etc, most likely they may also rely on the maths side of odds , meaning any 2 cards have a chance to beat any "premium hand" even AA , this we have seen time ad time again, it's not beyond imagination that these LAG's with perhaps a huge stack will play these "odds" as well as other plans they have, and use everything to win.
good players will most likely know the draw backs/weaknesses (if any) of any style they choose to use at that particular moment, table, mtt or even 1 hour period, and perhaps play on these themes/myths/so-called-weaknesses to induce the unknown player to give up their chips , :p
maybe a confusing rambling 5c

Last edited:
foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always Tight and aggressive.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if my style changes depending on what notes I made during the game for each player.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggro donk
Nit Sissy
Shovin McManiac
Tight Pucker twit
Toot Toot Station (one pair all the way) or MCS major calling station
FoFoF (fit or fold on flop)

Reply direct if you want more - I got tons.

FYI I'm a mixture of all of the above except - the MCS & maniac